LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I am sure you don't mean quite what is written, I am not sure I want to be included in the [HI]us[/HI] who park irresponsibly. I know a few people who do rarely use camp sites, but would never abuse anywhere like these guys appear to be doing.
The objection to this guy is not the jist of what he is saying but the implication all people who do not make use of camp sites are included in his comments and observations.
At the risk of sticking my neck out I don't think any of the Brits whom he saw parked are Funsters, so why should he come on our site and accuse us of despicable behaviour.
If he thinks he has hit a raw nerve he is quite right - I object to be accused of something I have never done and would never do. The motto of all non site users on this forum seems to be "do nothing that would offend, leave nothing but your tyre tracks and enjoy the memory of a pleasnt stay and the beauty of freedom."

Norman

No Norman your point is noted and correct.
Can not see my self parking amongst that lot neither TBH.

And your neck is out, I know a few Funsters that have/do park there. Their choice but not for me thanks, would rather be "wild" somewhere where I can't see another MH :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Now you guys, hope I dont offend any one here, not wishng to blow my own trumpet, just trying to solve this situation,and of course its business !!!!! why not come and visit Lesley Land, its a Rural Rustic Campsite just out side of Alvor. AKA Chickenrun

Your all more than welcome.
Happy safe travelling

chickenrun.vpweb.co.uk
xx

Look here Mr Andrew of the Chicken Run...

I HAVE visited your place briefly and let me tell you this...

It is so nice and laid back, well located and reasonably priced that, were I to stay longer, what would I have to moan, groan and complain about?

Grumpy old gits, set in their ways, NEED to have a good moan about things you know...:winky:

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
Thinking of Wild Camping in Alvor? - Forget It

On behalf of the many residents of Alvor and Portimao may I suggest that parking your Motorhome near the Alvor swimming pool and at the back of the Dunes should be the further most thought from your mind.

Portugal beutiful country Alvor and Portimao love it been there several times but not in my Motorhome but when I do get a chance to go in my Motorhome I will respect the laws and by laws like I am sure most or if not all on Fun will also do it is just a few selfish individuals that give us all a bad name . On another note the last time I was in that area there were absolutely loads of Motorhomes parked in amongst the sandunes long term by the looks of them but I never spotted one British van :thumb:

Deleted User
We wild camped in Alvor in the area behind the dunes a couple of years ago, nice spot. The police used to come round 2 -3 times in the afternoon, all they were interested in was someone parked in a disabled bay that they did,nt think was disabled. The old part of Portimao is quite nice but nowhere to park a motorhome.

spongy

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
THIS IS HOW THE REAL PORTUGUESE GREET YOU.

Broken Link Removed

THEY join in and wild camp with you.
Regards
Steve

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
and i agree we were opposite the fire station in peniche 2 yrs ago .40 portugese m,homes turned up . it was easter. they invited us to there party and what a great crowd they were. i find the locals very friendly . bit like the other countries people leave here tolive there then complain about every body . most dont like it here and dont get what they want there either. always unhappy . get the same problem here in cornwall as well. they seem to love fencing things off . i dont want to go there so i,ll stop you aswell. never mind . have fun .

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
to voice anymore he'll have to pay a tenner, and join a motorhome enthusiasts site Jim:roflmto:

Jim...Don't hold your breath....because you will never see his/her tenner...he/she is toooo tight to spend ones money, Just another so called freeloader....that has dropped his/her sh*t on this forum and disappeared...like the so called wild camper's at Alvor he/she was complaining about...he/she did not have the decency to use the correct drain to download ones crap .:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Deleted User
Been to Alvor today, 12 vans including 1 Brit near beach & 16 vans, 5 Brits on dusty ground near nearer to swimming pool, not my idea of wildcamping or fun.
Problem for me is if the police move them off they might come on a site near me::bigsmile::Eeek:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
How did he find out about this site? I've not seen this on the darkside.wildcamping uk or out and about live etc.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Have just spent a while reading through all the posts and a few things stand out here.

The OP did not put things very well, but not everyone is erudite and I include myself in that. But the OP may be angry and it's difficult to write a balance piece when emotions are running high.

As someone who spends 75% of his camping time 'wild camping' I can still understand the point being made.
If anybody on this forum had 3 or 4 very nice modern MH's park in front of or very near their home for weeks at a time I dare anyone to say they wouldn't complain? But maybe I'm wrong there and if so pm me your adddress please especially if near the coast or a beauty spot.

The fact that the OP had bought or spent their money on a villa or apartment(s) or even a parcel of land is their perogative, just as it is ours to spend our time more or less where and how we wish in our MH's.

If the OP wants to put their view across (however badly), what better way than writing to a forum that is connected with the problem as they see it, pretty obvious really. And if you were to be honest, would you pay to join a forum maybe peopled by the ones you are complaining about?

It would also help their cause if they galvanised the local politicos and business people to provide an Aire where all could benfit, in fact the local camp site could make money here as they do in France. By providing basic facilites that are good for the town, campers and the enviroment it's then morally possible to clamp down on the abusers of MH freedoms in popular spots.

I guess that most on here are Brits. Can you imagine 50, 100 or 200 MH's being allowed to park anywhere en mass for free in the UK?
Surely there has to be a little understanding for the OP's position when each and every one of you are restricted to a maximum 2 hours stop in virtually every motorway parking area in your own country, there's a moral there somwhere.

Hope this doesn't sound like a rant, just trying to balance the argument while remaining a wildcamper.

Jamie

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Interesting thread. Couple of points.

The OP is out of order posting like that on here I think. It comes across that he is tarring all of us with the same brush.

Secondly. These are not wild campers they are freeloaders, antisocial, inconsiderate and some by the sounds of it are criminals.... All the wild campers I know are very low key and try to avoid being parked with other motorhomes. We mostly want solitude, peace and quiet with a nice view. We also generally have some simple rules like leaving the spot cleaner when we leave than when we found it. If I am parked somewhere and see some litter I will pick it up. The only thing I ever leave behind is tire marks and some currency with the locals.

Thanks for the heads up on this place though. I will avoid Alvor for the simple reason is I don't want to be parked up with any other motorhomes if I can at all help it. This place sounds like a nightmare.

I didn't realise wild camping was a contentious issue until now as I have never heard any complaints.....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I stayed on a site in the South of France last year and there were literally hundreds of Motorhomes parked up on the coast road. Washing hanging out etc.

It wasn't a pretty sight so I do have sympathy for the OP.

I haven't wild camped yet but I know some great spots in Pembrokeshire which I am going to try out:thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
[
I haven't wild camped yet but I know some great spots in Pembrokeshire which I am going to try out:thumb:[/QUOTE]

I know of some too but they are a secret :thumb:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I was there a couple of weeks ago, didn't see a single Brit. Maybe you should learn to speak Dutch and go and pester them on their forums.:RollEyes:

Such a shame that the home you moved to has been blighted, had you the foresight to buy a motorhome then you could have just rolled out of there. except now your stuck in your property, in a tourist hell hole and the way Portugal is headed, your house is now worth a quarter what you paid for it, if you are lucky! No wonder you hate the motorhomer:roflmto::roflmto:

Blimey Jim steady or I might have to ban you:roflmto::roflmto:

S

stagman

Deleted User
I'll pay the other half if he buys a motorhome::bigsmile:

Instead of membership couldn't the op have continious access to just this thread , just a thought for as far as I am concerned he has some valid points which need to be aired , and may be an advantage to them and us .:thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
[
I haven't wild camped yet but I know some great spots in Pembrokeshire which I am going to try out:thumb:

I know of some too but they are a secret :thumb:[/QUOTE]

I grew up in Pembroke :thumb:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Instead of membership couldn't the op have continious access to just this thread , just a thought for as far as I am concerned he has some valid points which need to be aired , and may be an advantage to them and us .:thumb:

He should pay £10 same as everybody does.

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Alvorcomments

Who do you speak for certainly none of the local folk I have met over the 8yrs we have visited.I will treat most of your statement with the contempte it deserves.As for some of the members comments in support I suggest you take a good hard look at your actions many of which I suspect never get much further than an English caravan club site.To the descent folk among us stay safe and to the likes of Alvorcomment i hope you are not one of the silly Ex Pats who are stuck with a VILLA you cannot sell and can't afford the higher cost of living due to the Euro ex rate bye have a good life i will give you a pip when we arrive in Alvor inSept.xxxx

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
This guy has a vested interest in the area as he involved with property just another troll.
Alvor is a dump a bit like a tired resort trying to regain its long forgotten past.
These comments are by incomers like nimbys who move from the town to the country and then complain that it smells and the cows moo too loudly. They are on the TV all the time Rich and stupid!
The Portugese people welcome holiday makers with open arms not so the incomers who try to drive up property prices to to make them unaffordable for first time buyers.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Who do you speak for certainly none of the local folk I have met over the 8yrs we have visited.I will treat most of your statement with the contempte it deserves.As for some of the members comments in support I suggest you take a good hard look at your actions many of which I suspect never get much further than an English caravan club site.To the descent folk among us stay safe and to the likes of Alvorcomment i hope you are not one of the silly Ex Pats who are stuck with a VILLA you cannot sell and can't afford the higher cost of living due to the Euro ex rate bye have a good life i will give you a pip when we arrive in Alvor inSept.xxxx

Hello otis the staffy

[HI]many of which I suspect never get much further than an English caravan club site.[/HI]

Don't you think you are making some big assumptions here?

[HI]To the descent folk among us[/HI]

Is that dependant on whether we agree with you?

[HI]i hope you are not one of the silly Ex Pats who are stuck with a VILLA you cannot sell and can't afford the higher cost of living due to the Euro ex rate bye have a good life i will give you a pip when we arrive in Alvor inSept.xxxx
[/HI]

Isn't that a little uncalled for, you don't know the OP's circumstances. We can all be victim to something we can't foresee, I have met a few in my life where outside circumstances have brought horrible misery to families through no fault of their own. Don't think it's right to gloat if that is the case.

Still, we have our own view on the world...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. just out of interest .google portal camping car portugal. this is a good guide to portugal wild camping . its a very active site getting wild /free camping accepted in portugal. they also play a part in the eu wide campaign.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Found this and wondered if it was anything to do with the OP.

Link Removed :Doh::shout:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I don't know about anyone else but if I saw even as few as 20 motorhomes parked up 'wildcamping' I'd run (or drive as far away as possible) My idea of wildcamping is to find a spot with lovely surroundings and far from the crowds. Give me two or three neighbours - good company - and my stay in that place will be all I need. Sue

:Smile:

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't about anyone else but if I saw even as few as 20 motorhomes parked up 'wildcamping' I'd run (or drive as far away as possible) My idea of wildcamping is to find a spot with lovely surroundings and far from the crowds. Give me two or three neighbours - good company - and my stay in that place will be all I need. Sue :Smile:

The great thing for me is that when I pull up anywhere in the Wagon all the other motorhomes up sticks and move away... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back