Wild camp virginity - where did you lose yours? (1 Viewer)

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
Abersoch north Wales. A long time ago. A group of fellow bikers went camping. I had to work late on the day of departure and so did friend Nigel. The others took the tents and we followed later on my Suzuki 380. We broke down on the way and eventually arrived about 2 in the morning and failed to meet the others. We drove about a bit and decided, as we had sleeping bags, to sleep in a nice sandy hole down by the beach and parked the bike as a wind break. Awoke at first light to a lovely day and the realisation we were in a bunker on the golf course with my tyre tracks all across the green. Sorry about that. Did a hasty scarper.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
In the middle of nowhere 1975, South West Africa (now Namibia). VW type 2 with basic facilities like a DIY bed.
Also in a DIY VW camper, in the middle of nowhere - central Saudi Arabia. We were driving to UK from Oman with our kids aged 1 & 5. We encountered a dreadful sandstorm, and high winds. After 1/2 hour, the visibility was so bad, I turned off the road and drove a few hundred metres. Parked reverse to the wind and I stuffed a rag up the exhaust to keep the sand out, and taped some plastic sheet over the cooling vents. The storm buffeted us for over 12 hours, but in the morning we awoke to a clear blues sky and a 360 degree view of flat sand to the horizon. Amazing. When I picked up some empty food cans that I'd dropped out the door, all the labels were plain white - all the ink had been sandblasted off!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Also in a DIY VW camper, in the middle of nowhere - central Saudi Arabia. We were driving to UK from Oman with our kids aged 1 & 5. We encountered a dreadful sandstorm, and high winds. After 1/2 hour, the visibility was so bad, I turned off the road and drove a few hundred metres. Parked reverse to the wind and I stuffed a rag up the exhaust to keep the sand out, and taped some plastic sheet over the cooling vents. The storm buffeted us for over 12 hours, but in the morning we awoke to a clear blues sky and a 360 degree view of flat sand to the horizon. Amazing. When I picked up some empty food cans that I'd dropped out the door, all the labels were plain white - all the ink had been sandblasted off!

Cricky, that was quite a trek from Oman to UK. I worked in Oman in the 1980's - lovely country providing you didn't step out of line with the authorities !!! Driving at night in remote areas could be a bit daunting - the camels like the warmth of the tarmac road - best not to hit one :oops:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Glen Trool in Dumfries & Galloway, twas the early 60s in my dads "caravanette" & its never left me, I went back to the exact spot on 4th July as it was the 30th anniversary of my dads death.
I fell in love with hill walking & even moved to my current house to be closer to the places I love the most.
My walking days are gone but, my enjoyment of camping has never diminished.

Today I'm taking our youngster dog (1year old) for his first night away from his Hazel & his sister.
It'll be Glen Trool again. I've camped all over the UK, mostly on sites but, there is something very earthy about wild camping. Yes I know I have luxuries like TV, computer, phone, toilet & shower etc, it still gives me a buzz.

Its a local public holiday weekend & the weather is beautiful so I'm highly unlikely to have the place to myself.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I think it was many years ago in a hillside layby, the view I recall was great but unfortunately it wasn't long before a car pulled up and we heard the doors being opened and closed, followed by other doors being opened and closed ... about 10 minutes later the same happened again (different vehicle I think!) ... this was repeated a few times ... we'd obviously parked at the local lovebirds 'canoodling' spot! :love:

When in Rome Mel. :h::angel:?

Apr 30, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
A/S Clubman
I think it was many years ago in a hillside layby, the view I recall was great but unfortunately it wasn't long before a car pulled up and we heard the doors being opened and closed, followed by other doors being opened and closed ... about 10 minutes later the same happened again (different vehicle I think!) ... this was repeated a few times ... we'd obviously parked at the local lovebirds 'canoodling' spot! :love:
Had the same looked out was being used as local toilet on the way home from night out.???????? no romance in that then.
9483DD45-BC7D-443A-9A44-4B04964B1026.gif

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I’ve always trusted pucker campsites and feared the unknown of the FLT motorhoming lifestyle. I broke my duck and picked a memorable spot:

Next to Duncansby Head Lighthouse. Most north east spot on the UK mainland (John O’Groats and turn left). What a view towards the Orkneys.

So where did you lose yours?
I freedom camped beside a lighthouse in Ireland a few years ago. Lovely spot. How I wished I had closed the blinds on the skylight before I went to bed! B****y flashing light rotating round every ten seconds! It was like a form of waterboarding torture.
Another time we camped in the car park at the top of the Cliffs of Moher, also Ireland. The Old Man is a big Dusty Springfield fan and wanted to see where her ashes had been scattered. A howling storm force gale got up that night and I thought we were going to join Dusty over the cliff. A dreadful night that I will never forget. But not enough to put us off freedom camping or wild camping, if you prefer.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I don’t feel as if I’ve ever had the true wilding experience although we’ve stayed in ‘free to park’ places, sometimes alone. In my mind it will be down a track, through trees and on the edge of water and must involve a fire and a starry sky. I suppose it could also be on the edge of a deserted beach ... ?

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I’ve always trusted pucker campsites and feared the unknown of the FLT motorhoming lifestyle. I broke my duck and picked a memorable spot:

Next to Duncansby Head Lighthouse. Most north east spot on the UK mainland (John O’Groats and turn left). What a view towards the Orkneys.

So where did you lose yours?
I can see you, Kannon Fodda!
Duncansby Head.jpg

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
In a tent, can't remember. In a Moho, Glen Clova

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
That’s not what I would call wild camping.
[/QUOTE]

It is with SHMBA

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
We were aiming for the campsite at La Tour Fondue on the Giens Peninsula near Hyeres in Provence in September 2017. The site was full when we got there but they kindly pointed us to the nearby beach road. At first there were only a couple of other motorhomes there, but it was obviously a popular location as all spaces were taken by the early evening. It was a result, as we were only a few minutes walk from a wonderful beach, there were shops nearby and the site let us fill our water for €2!

Screenshot 2019-09-20 at 14.24.21.png

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
truck driving.........border at aachen 1986
motorhome/campervan...layby just outside sennen 1997

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Cricky, that was quite a trek from Oman to UK. I worked in Oman in the 1980's - lovely country providing you didn't step out of line with the authorities !!! Driving at night in remote areas could be a bit daunting - the camels like the warmth of the tarmac road - best not to hit one :oops:
We were there in the early 80s too. I was working for SOAF. (Sultan of Oman's Air Force) It was the best three-year holiday I ever had! Worked 6am till 1pm, six days a week. At the "Officer's Beach Club" by 2pm! VW was a project. Originally a Police bus. Rescued from a scrap heap with no engine, gearbox, lights, door handles. Could only source an engine from an old split-screen T1 and had to fabricate different engine mounts. Kept it for another 10 years after we got to UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back