Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
IMG_5226.JPG
I first thought I'd hit a dog that dashed out of the hedge along the Fosse Way but thinking again it was probably a Boar. Happened so fast that I didn't even hit the brake. Unsafe to stop and saw nothing in my rear view mirrors. Expensive work now needed.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry about the damage to your van, at least you were ok. You may find it was a muntjac deer in that bit of the world rather than a wild boar.

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Sorry about the damage to your van, at least you were ok. You may find it was a muntjac deer in that bit of the world rather than a wild boar.
It was very short, black and stocky and that's all I saw it was so fast. Luckily I suppose there wasn't time to brake or swerve which may well have caused an accident on that fast and busy road.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
A big white thing ???
Exp
3 yrs, (tenting and tugging before)
Think there would have been more damage if it had been a boar, big strong animals. Still not good though!

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp
Wild board will breed year round if conditions suit them, could have been a youngish one. I've seen them in the pyrennes in all sizes from a small dog to something the size of the front aspect of a land rover. They're hard as nails, extremely fast/agile and dark in color once they loose the stripey piglet coloring when they are referred to by my Catalan friends as Rayons.
There are lots around in the Uk, descended from escapees from farming ventures attempting to target the exotic meats being promoted. Most people won't have seen them as they are extremely good at staying out of sight and will become nocturnal if in populated areas. Only someone who knows what to look for will see the signs normally, a farmer will see damage to crops and lots of digging over of the land once they are prolific.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Was doing an early morning "stand to" ( Manning the perimeter as first light breaks ) whilst in Germany in the Army and a family of wild boar wandered into our clearing.. Some silly arse decided it would be fun to chase them when "stand to" ended.. That went well until the boar ran up against a fence and spun round to face us all.. There were rifles and bodies flying everywhere when the Male boar started to run at us and we all ran for our lives.. Christ they are big !! AND quick !!
Sorry about your van, but it probably was a badger..
Mitch

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Very unlikely to have been a boar but a Muntjac or a Badger are most likely third parties. I would suspect a badger from the size and low position of the damage. About 40 years ago, I hit a badger in my Mini whilst driving across the Somerset levels in the early hours. Big dent low down on the front of the Mini (from which I had removed the bumper of course a la Paddy Hopkirk). I stopped and searched up and down the road with a torch but there was no sign of the badger.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Saw a couple through the trees recently on the road from Sandyballs to the National Motor Museum at Beulieu

Andy in Lossie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2016
Lossiemouth
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Done a bit
could have been a youngish one. I've seen them in the pyrennes in all sizes from a small dog to something the size of the front aspect of a land rover.

Saw a youngster pop out onto the road near Rennes Le Chateau about two weeks ago, made us smile. Wouldn't have smiled much if we had hit it mind you :(, though at the speed we were crawling along at over the mountains (adventurous sat nav .... don't ask :rolleyes:) it would have had time to change its underwear prior to the ambulance ride!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back