Free Member
Jun 30, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low line coach built
Exp
Hi
Has anyone driven round the wild Atlantic way in Ireland? We are planning to do some of the northern part in May and would love any advice. We have a Bailey 765 which is quite long (7.5). Should we take our bikes? Will we be able to get to most places in the van? Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Loved it in the summer.
We went from Larne and headed anti clockwise. The coast road to the start of the wild atlantic way is very beautiful too.
We drove all of it not quite making Cork.
We couldnt do the legendary Connor Pass as our van was too.long . In fact that wad the last straw and we are now selling and going smaller with the plan of returning to do it.
When you get there you can get a map of the route and there's loads of campsites and pubstops along the way. Fabulous route with no planning as the roads are are so well.marked with a dedicated WAW sign.
I.made some videos about it on my vlog. As usual they have a vegan theme but lots of Ireland too!
This next one shows Giants Causeway which is before the WAW starts but well worth a visit .

Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 620 welcoome
Exp
since 1990
I'e been round the wild Atlantic way... from the village of muff in Donegal to kinsale on the south coast...
Some of the roads can be a challenge as you said.. but just be patient..
There is no way you will get to see it all I suspect... there is just to much..
It' already been mentioned that the tourist board do a series of books covering the journey and the attractions... a must get to help you select what you want to see this time...
If your intention is to stop a day or two in one location now and then, the bikes could be handy..
I hope the weather is kind to you and you have a fantastic trip..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
C

Cambia

Free Member
Jun 30, 2017
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low line coach built
Exp
Thanks so much. Our van is quite long but we will do as much as we can. We have over three weeks and no rush, so will not plan too much and just take it as it comes. We did the Scottish 500 and the Outer Hebrides last year and I felt that we went a little too quickly! Hoping to learn from our mistakes this year!

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Go for it it’s a great drive just have to be aware that others want to go faster so pull over and let them go passed. Drop in at tourist office for each section to get the best advice.

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Take your bikes. Ireland is not yet motor home friendly. Most town car parks have height barriers. We started from Galway going north 3 years ago and would go over again.

Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kinghan
Exp
Since 2016
We have done from the most northerly part and made it as far as Galway and it took us 3 weeks , mind you that was us stopping at every point and beach :)
All of it was wild camped , we had the bikes with us but never took them of the back of the MH.
Our MH is 7.1 without the bikes and we did all of the above ok. mind you traffic was not an issue as it was the winter time :)

John65

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2000
We did WWA last year north to south and you just need to take your time. If you only have 2 weeks or so just plan to do part of it and go back and do the rest. We did the conner pass in a 7 m.van ok but not to sure we should have done it. If you get to Dingle there is a pass just outside it ( not sure what it's called ) make sure you go round it the right way we didn't and got some interesting comments. Also make sure your suspension is good the roads can be interesting. Most of all just enjoy it.

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Cambia
We caught the ferry to Belfast last June and intended to travel the whole Wild Atlantic Way but didn't last long. We could have just been unfortunate with the weather but we found out why it is called wild!
Our blog Con and Hil's Motorhome Travels on this forum describes our rather short attempt before we travelled south to calmer weather.
Conal