Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all,
anyone fitted their own Fiamma or Omnistor wind out awning? if so what do I need to look out for, do I need spread plates on the inside wall or will washers be ok? It's on a Chausson flash 10 and I've contacted them at Chausson but had no reply. Do you think the side walls will be strong enough, each bracket (held on by 2 x 6mm bolts) will be holding 8Kg each.
Thanks in advance.
Lee.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
u will defo need a spread plate but i reckon u r best getting it fitted then u have somewhere to go back to if there is a problem try john cross they will do a fun discount

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
Yes I've fitted 3 in my time and as said above you'll need spread plates , you can buy the proper firings from fiamma

There's a good bit of weight in one so I'd advise using the proper gear but it isn't difficult to do

You may need a couple of fit mates to lend a hand though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Adam b

Free Member
Jul 3, 2013
South queensferry
Funster No
MH
Auto cruise carrera4
Exp
I fitted mine on a chausson flash 510, no problem you will just need a help to lift the awning once you have fitted the brackets all the bolts & plates come in the box.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You will need to use spreader plates (ie the normal Fiamma fixings) and also some spacers which are the depths of the wall so that you don't squash it when tightening the awning plates on, you'd be surprised how FEW bolts some fitters put on when fitting massive awnings ... it's frightening!

It might be worth having a shuftie at any Chaussons you can with awnings already fitted so you can see how it's done and where on the wall an awning is put, especially the height above the door, and where the fittings themselves are placed. I've had a look at some photos on the web of your MH and there doesn't appear to be anything that would prevent you getting access to the inside wall to fit it.

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I fitted mine on a chausson flash 510, no problem you will just need a help to lift the awning once you have fitted the brackets all the bolts & plates come in the box.
Out of interest Adam, what width awning did you fit?
Thanks,
Lee.

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You will need to use spreader plates (ie the normal Fiamma fixings) and also some spacers which are the depths of the wall so that you don't squash it when tightening the awning plates on, you'd be surprised how FEW bolts some fitters put on when fitting massive awnings ... it's frightening!

It might be worth having a shuftie at any Chaussons you can with awnings already fitted so you can see how it's done and where on the wall an awning is put, especially the height above the door, and where the fittings themselves are placed. I've had a look at some photos on the web of your MH and there doesn't appear to be anything that would prevent you getting access to the inside wall to fit it.
Hi Minx,
went to Lowdhams yesterday to have a look but they had none in. The only issue I could see in mine was where the drop down bed is as it is boxed in, however after removing several screws it gave access to the side wall. Just not sure if it will take the 3 metre or the 2.65 metre.

Thanks,
Lee.

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
fitted the 2.65 omnistor got it from john cross great price with funster discount
Hi Adam,
would you mind telling me how far below the roof trim yours is fitted and if you installed the drip stop?
Thanks,
Lee

Adam b

Free Member
Jul 3, 2013
South queensferry
Funster No
MH
Auto cruise carrera4
Exp
Hi Adam,
would you mind telling me how far below the roof trim yours is fitted and if you installed the drip stop?
Thanks,
Lee
I positioned it so as two of the brackets are inside where the bed is boxed in & the third in the wardrobe. Hope this helps.
Adam

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I positioned it so as two of the brackets are inside where the bed is boxed in & the third in the wardrobe. Hope this helps.
Adam
Thanks Adam, hope you are as happy with your 510 as I am with my best of 10, I've just installed under bench air conditioning and a scooter rack to mine along with twin reversing cameras, one acts as a rear view mirror and I can swap to the other for reversing or for keeping an eye on the scooter whilst driving.
Regards,
Lee.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We got one fitted on our bestof10 from new, it's away getting cameras fitted right now, but should have it back Thursday. Can answer any questions you have then.

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We got one fitted on our bestof10 from new, it's away getting cameras fitted right now, but should have it back Thursday. Can answer any questions you have then.
Thanks Geordies,
fitted reversing cameras and was very time consuming. Ditto your last sentence, If I can be of any assistance regarding scooter rack or air conditioning please feel to PM me.
Regards,
Lee.
P.S what width is your awning?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Can't remember width of the awning, I'll measure it when it comes back, it looks right tho. I could have fitted the camera myself, but like the awning, I took the view that anything which involves going thro the outer skin I will take back to the place of purchase. Just in case a few years down the line there is water ingress and they try and say it was because of anything I had done.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
The awning is a Fiamma F45, @ 2.6m long. Seems to have 4 mounting bolts, one in bathroom cupboard, one above where the grill is (was, taken it out tonight, neither use nor ornament), and presumably the other two behind the woodwork at the top of the wall. Hopefully the attached photos will give more info. Any questions just post on here or pm me. P8140496.JPG P8140498.JPG P8140499.JPG

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had one fitted to our best of 10 will try and remember to check fittings tomorrow

David

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The awning is a Fiamma F45, @ 2.6m long. Seems to have 4 mounting bolts, one in bathroom cupboard, one above where the grill is (was, taken it out tonight, neither use nor ornament), and presumably the other two behind the woodwork at the top of the wall. Hopefully the attached photos will give more info. Any questions just post on here or pm me.View attachment 38922 View attachment 38923 View attachment 38924
Hi Geordies,
thanks for the photos, very useful. I've ordered the same from John Cross. I removed my grill and replaced it with a microwave/grill, also partially covered the vent as the wind howls through there when blowing in the wrong direction.
Regards,
Lee.
The awning is a Fiamma F45, @ 2.6m long. Seems to have 4 mounting bolts, one in bathroom cupboard, one above where the grill is (was, taken it out tonight, neither use nor ornament), and presumably the other two behind the woodwork at the top of the wall. Hopefully the attached photos will give more info. Any questions just post on here or pm me.View attachment 38922 View attachment 38923 View attachment 38924

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our seems to just have 3 mounting bolts two as in Geordies photos and one behind the boxing in at the end of the bed. Worth trying to mount it as high as looks possible our awning strut at the back tends to rub on top of the ski locker door if we open it when the awnings out (now has gaffer tape on top to stop rubbing!!

David

OP
OP
L

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Our seems to just have 3 mounting bolts two as in Geordies photos and one behind the boxing in at the end of the bed. Worth trying to mount it as high as looks possible our awning strut at the back tends to rub on top of the ski locker door if we open it when the awnings out (now has gaffer tape on top to stop rubbing!!

David
Thanks for the tip Dave, I'll bare that in mind.
Regards,
Lee.

Oct 1, 2014
Funster No
I fitted 3 mtr fiamma awning, but needed to space it out to go over the the front trim.also fitted reversing camera too, found the wiring already there, and used wireless camera,works a treat. my next problem was getting a towbar fitted, most places either didnt want to do it or wanted a fortune.i finally got one from a place nr preston lancs.The guy makes and fits towbars and he made mine and did a superb job....so now i think were ready for the off..does anybody know where the sun went?

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think you are almost 2 years too late in replying :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back