Wiggle those valves!!! (1 Viewer)

Sep 6, 2011
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Con3 XL PVC
Exp
Started 1989
Our 'van has stood on the drive through the winter, no problem. We went away (not in m.home) for 4 days, returning to find front n.side tyre totally flat! On reinflating I found the valve had failed/split/ perished where it enters the rim, although it wasn't apparent till I'd put in about 50 psi. There had been no loss at all previously, when the van was actually used. This is a common fault, well documented, but it doesn't bear thinking about what COULD have happened!! Difficult to tell the cause, possibly a: Poor quality valve (4 yrs old), b:Burr or rust around valve hole in steel rim, c: Wheeltrim moving around ( before cable tying to secure) straining valve sideways.
Anyway, the moral is, Wiggle Those Valves, to make sure they wont let you down! I'm off now to get a set of 5 High pressure bolt-in metal stemmed valves!:thumb:

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Good advice!

We had the same problem last year - new tyres, too.

Luckily we found out on the morning we were going down to Cornwall because the habitation door was fouling the step.

Doesn't bear thinking about what would have happened if it had failed on the motorway.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
We had the same problem last week n/s/r was down to 20psi i was able to drive under a mile to our friendly commercial tyre dealer although being busy checked tyre and replaced valve right away.I then returned and had all six replaced as a precaution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back