WIFI (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I've just seen that, on Motorhomewifi, they've added a retro-fit 4g aerial that simply replaces the tv aerial. That is just what I intended to do but using the Poynting aerial, that DBK (and others) suggested. I was going to use the aerial pole. But the Motorhomewifi retro fit includes a pole and suggests you just whip out the tv pole and slot in the new wifi one.
I'll seriously consider the MHW one but can anyone confirm whether the aerial supplied is as sensitive as the Poynting one? There is quite a big price difference (the MHW on is more expensive).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've just seen that, on Motorhomewifi, they've added a retro-fit 4g aerial that simply replaces the tv aerial. That is just what I intended to do but using the Poynting aerial, that DBK (and others) suggested. I was going to use the aerial pole. But the Motorhomewifi retro fit includes a pole and suggests you just whip out the tv pole and slot in the new wifi one.
I'll seriously consider the MHW one but can anyone confirm whether the aerial supplied is as sensitive as the Poynting one? There is quite a big price difference (the MHW on is more expensive).
The Poynting one has a bit more gain than the MHW one. On the Poynting one you need to allow about £25 for connecting leads.
I've been well pleased with mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When I was looking for an antenna there wasn't much technical data on the MHW one but lots on the Poynting models. I think MHW do now publish data but from memory it wasn't easy to compare the them. However, I suspect the typical user like me wouldn't notice any difference between the two. I'm sure the MHW product is a good one - but the Poynting is cheaper. :)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
For the power supply for the Huawei Mifi to be connected to the MHW aerial, what size fuse should be fitted if I want to use the existing tv aerial power and put a switch on the live terminal? Can someone please suggest a quality fuse holder switch, preferably with a led so I can see easily in a cupboard when it's turned on?
As DBK and Lenny HB have suggested, there's not much to choose as regards gain between the Poynting and the MHF aerial, I'll probably opt for the MHW product which comes with leads, pole etc.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Oops! Just seen that DBK already answered this on reply #50. Sorry for the duplication.:oops:

Reactions: DBK
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
Hi we use a Huawei 5577C MIFI on 3, we use it for TV Streaming and laptops, also you can add an External Ariel, you can have up to 10 devices connected at the same time.
View attachment 321506

+1

Bought a box at the Motorhome Show, includes the router, aerial and 12v power lead.

Three SIM that lasts a year, when you have used the data, throw it and buy a new one. No contract.

https://www.motorhomewifi.com/

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Quick question regarding polarity before I get underway.
I'm going to use my existing Huawei E3572 Mifi connected to either the Poynting 4g aerial or the Motorhomewifi one fixed to my old tv aerial pole. I intend to use the existing power supply used by the now-obsolete Maxview signal amplifier by connecting a 12v PSU like this one from MHW. I also want to put a fuse and switch inline. To connect the PSU requires me to cut off the Maxview plug and use the bare wires. I obviously want the switch and fuse on the live but my question is in identifying the live on the Maxview connector and this led me to wonder whether polarity is an issue for the Huawei Mifi?
Hope my question isn't too muddled.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Oops forgot to put up the pic of the MHW PSU.
IMG_0683.JPG

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oops forgot to put up the pic of the MHW PSU. View attachment 342054
Almost certainly polarity will need to be right for that to work. Very likely to be killed if you connect it the wrong way round - but if you bought two you could always risk it... :)

I would spend £10 on a cheap multimeter from Screwfix or somewhere like that. It will put a minus sign in front of the display if you connect the red lead from the meter to the negative 12V feed and of course no minus sign if you connect it to the positive.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I've got a multi meter so will test. It would help if they colour coded the leads in the Maxview lead. Both leads black. Thanks again.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back