Wifi problem? (1 Viewer)

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Last night Mrs. Ex found that all our outside lights did not go off at the set time,they are all on wifi plugs controlled by Alexa this morning we had no hot water, controlled by Hive which uses it's own wifi set up. Everything works fine now, could something have interfered with the signal? The timings are very different, hot water at 7.00pm and lights out at 11.00pm.

Any ideas please?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Last night Mrs. Ex found that all our outside lights did not go off at the set time,they are all on wifi plugs controlled by Alexa this morning we had no hot water, controlled by Hive which uses it's own wifi set up. Everything works fine now, could something have interfered with the signal? The timings are very different, hot water at 7.00pm and lights out at 11.00pm.

Any ideas please?
Sounds like patchy WiFi. I think a lot of stuff just sends an on or off signal at the changeover rather than a repeated on or off signal so if theres a problem at the time it switches it stays on the previous setting. I am probabably going to be corrected!
Are you sure the lights are on a plug switched from alexa or do you control hive with alexa and they are hive plugs? If they are hive plugs it could be your hive controller thats no working could be as simple as it's been switched off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Sounds like patchy WiFi. I think a lot of stuff just sends an on or off signal at the changeover rather than a repeated on or off signal so if theres a problem at the time it switches it stays on the previous setting. I am probabably going to be corrected!
Are you sure the lights are on a plug switched from alexa or do you control hive with alexa and they are hive plugs? If they are hive plugs it could be your hive controller thats no working could be as simple as it's been switched off.
Not hive plugs far too expensive :giggle:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Last house had Hive installed by landlord. Looks clever but had.o replace battery every 4 months a d lost contact to boiler module regularly. Won't bother in my own house.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Last house had Hive installed by landlord. Looks clever but had.o replace battery every 4 months a d lost contact to boiler module regularly. Won't bother in my own house.
We love ours each to their own again!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's the only exercise I get, turning stuff on and off!:whistle2:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have had our Hive for over 4 years and are on our second set of batteries, so either poor batteries or there was something wrong with it. As for constantly losing contact I would suggest that it had not been set up properly. They are wireless so should not have too many thick walls between the units.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We love ours each to their own again!
I have replaced the battery after 18 months, there must have been a fault with the one you had

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I went for a Nest when I found out the Hive was battery powered.
Been caught out in the past with battery powered programable thermostats and have come home to a freezing cold house.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Been caught out in the past with battery powered programable thermostats and have come home to a freezing cold house.
Plenty of warning of battery getting low. Shown on the thermostat every time you use it, and comes up as a warning on the phone app and website.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Plenty of warning of battery getting low. Shown on the thermostat every time you use it, and comes up as a warning on the phone app and website.
But if you are away for 6 weeks and it goes flat difficult to replace when you are a couple of thousand miles away. :giggle:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
But if you are away for 6 weeks and it goes flat difficult to replace when you are a couple of thousand miles away. :giggle:
The warning comes up at least 3 months before it goes flat. And you can check your battery before you go if you are that worried. Just press the button on the thermostat. Or look at the app or website to see the state of the battery. It is only the thermostat that has the battery. The separate control hub and the unit on the boiler are both 230v.

It is more likely that your mains electrics will trip than the battery will suddenly fail.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had to install both, give me batteries any day, trying to run hidden power supplies to the nest and Worcester's wave was not fun

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The warning comes up at least 3 months before it goes flat. And you can check your battery before you go if you are that worried. Just press the button on the thermostat. Or look at the app or website to see the state of the battery. It is only the thermostat that has the battery. The separate control hub and the unit on the boiler are both 230v.

It is more likely that your mains electrics will trip than the battery will suddenly fail.
One of my customers has a hive and goes away for long periods and when they had a power cut the hive would not come back on line. I fitted a wifi plug so the customer could reset it from anywhere.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I had to install both, give me batteries any day, trying to run hidden power supplies to the nest and Worcester's wave was not fun
I used the existing cable from the old thermostat.
Why not turn stuff off when you go away and turn it on when you come back. Or, am I over simplifying things?;)
Depending on the weather I turn the heating on a day or two before we get home so the house gets up to temerature.

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I used the existing cable from the old thermostat.

Depending on the weather I turn the heating on a day or two before we get home so the house gets up to temerature.
I do the same with the hot water

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
One of my customers has a hive and goes away for long periods and when they had a power cut the hive would not come back on line. I fitted a wifi plug so the customer could reset it from anywhere.
Our Hive control is ethernet wired to one of the ports on the router. Whenever our electrics go off all of the home network, including the Hive, restarts within a few minutes of power being reinstated.
Why not turn stuff off when you go away and turn it on when you come back. Or, am I over simplifying things?;)
Our house insurer, like most others, insist that if we leave the house for any long period either the heating must be left so that the thermostat is set at about 8 degrees (from memory). If not, they insist we have to drain the whole system down. That is just too much faff for me.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
I know why... Any system complex enough to be useful is capable of catastrophic failure and what can go wrong will go wrong and experience gained is directly proportional to damage sustained.

Mark

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I know why... Any system complex enough to be useful is capable of catastrophic failure and what can go wrong will go wrong and experience gained is directly proportional to damage sustained.

Mark
I was ok Mrs. Ex had a cold shower :roflmto: :roflmto:

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I have hive but I also have a mechanical frost stat which will overide everything should wifi fail and hence Hive while we are away for 3 months over winter.
I also have the Hive hub2 which will carry on working without wifi so any programmed functions will continue including heating, you jus cant control it remotely. Hive uses Zigbee networks to control its own kit I believe which is not wifi freqs

OP
OP
Odd job
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
No problem since and no more cold showers, although that's not so bad in this heat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back