Wifi, mifi and all that (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
I have camped for many yrs in tents, caravans (owned 2, and 2 motorhomes, 2 narrowboats( lived on these)). So think I have been there and don'it. What I am finding having recently joined this community, is the chatter around wifi. I dont really get it, we have never had it other than on the phone, and do not see the need for it, after all we are out experiencing the great outdoors, not sitting in watching tv,face time twitting etc. Do we not leave that at home, or is it we cannot now go without it, and the cost of having wifi in the van doing nothing but paying monthly premiums when it's not in use. Ti me it seems excessive, unless you live in it. Or am I missing something ?

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
To a certain extent I agree but how often has someone been helped when they have a problem. I belong to a few forums and regularly members ask for help, within minutes someone has posted advice. How would this work without wifi ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I used to be self employed and picked up orders etc when away in the van.

These days I use my phone as a hotspot if I need to, or use site wifi. I use the internet when away if I am writing and need to check facts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think it depends on how long you’re away for. We normally go away for months at a time and need WiFi to communicate generally and access documents and files connected with my husband’s consultancy work.

It certainly doesn’t prevent us from enjoying the great outdoors :giggle:

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
I guess using your phone, yes if you can get a signal, but 30yrs ago we still managed without to many problems, just took a bit longer to sort. No phones then and if lucky had only 1g. Suppose am saying what the advantage over your phone, if you have no signal a short walk ( uk) usually gets you a signal.

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
I think it depends on how long you’re away for. We normally go away for months at a time and need WiFi to communicate generally and access documents and files connected with my husband’s consultancy work.

It certainly doesn’t prevent us from enjoying the great outdoors :giggle:
Get that, semi living in it as well.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Away in the van at the moment and using my wifi via my mifi to answer your post.
As you get older there is only a certain amount of walking you can do so having decent wifi is a benefit, might even watch the F1 sprint race later.

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Glad your embracing this modern tech stuff, I struggle with it sometimes, hence my post.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
MIFI for us is convenient to watch TV catch-up mainly on rainy evenings. We buy a Vodafone or Giffgaff simm that lasts 30 days and so only activate when we are going away. £20 for 80Gb.
Device and aerial was £100 and runs on 12v

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I think people have different interests, different levels of mobility and use their motorhomes in different ways, no doubt some are almost addicted to the Internet or streaming TV, whilst others are equally addicted to long walks, climbing, surfing, photography etc. Etc. We are all different and I appreciate those differences, life would be boring if we all lived life in a similar manner.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have camped for many yrs in tents, caravans (owned 2, and 2 motorhomes, 2 narrowboats( lived on these)). So think I have been there and don'it. What I am finding having recently joined this community, is the chatter around wifi. I dont really get it, we have never had it other than on the phone, and do not see the need for it, after all we are out experiencing the great outdoors, not sitting in watching tv,face time twitting etc. Do we not leave that at home, or is it we cannot now go without it, and the cost of having wifi in the van doing nothing but paying monthly premiums when it's not in use. Ti me it seems excessive, unless you live in it. Or am I missing something ?
Need WiFi in van to use Lightroom photo editing software (which is accessed online) and I save some of my photos direct onto my NAZ at home for Backup Via the mifi

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oooops! Fat finger syndrome,sorry nothing to add! :mad:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
We usually tether our phones if we need to use a slightly larger screen, so haven’t got MiFi. Works for us, but if we ever get to the point where we are spending lots more time in more remote areas we‘ll consider MiFi and a proper external antenna.

I had to set up a 4g data connection for the house, as our local broadband service is just too slow and unreliable for working from home. It wasn’t too difficult and we now have a MUCH better service. At home I have a directional dish antenna, but would probably go for Omni on the van if I ever needed it.

As the OP says, we don’t go away to watch TV, but it can be really useful to have a signal so I can stream during special events such as when Wales play England in the 6 Nations….and win! (Sorry Jim eddievanbitz , same allegiance as ShiftZZ on this 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 ;)).

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We only use the phone hotspot too. We don’t go away to sit in the van on the internet or watching The tv. We do have a tv but since buying it nearly six years ago it has been switched on three times. Once to test it, once for the grandchildren to watch a dvd and once to watch a football match. Probably a waste of money and a cupboard.

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
MIFI for us is convenient to watch TV catch-up mainly on rainy evenings. We buy a Vodafone or Giffgaff simm that lasts 30 days and so only activate when we are going away. £20 for 80Gb.
Device and aerial was £100 and runs on 12v
That's more of a cost benefit analysis that I can accept, some costs seem very expensive.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As the OP says, we don’t go away to watch TV, but it can be really useful to have a signal so I can stream during special events such as when Wales play England in the 6 Nations….and win! (Sorry Jim eddievanbitz , same allegiance as ShiftZZ on this 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 ;)).

Just wait till 5g is in your area, it might take 10 years, but I doubt you'll miss any wins. :D

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
May be there is more people actually working from mh's and Van's than perhaps I had realised. I had my own business, but when I was away I was away, business could wait. Did the business suffer, yes a little did my health suffer not as much, as the business.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back