Wifi in Europe? (1 Viewer)

Lewis and Wendy

Free Member
Dec 5, 2017
Funster No
We live in Western Australia and have owned our motor home for ten years, usually traveling for three months, twice a year, so are not new to 'life on the road'. Our internet connection is via phone with an app called 'Join Me' which gives us wifi connection through Telstra.

My phone is rather primitive, a similar model I suspect, to what Moses used a few years ago, before I was born. I don't have an ipad, tablet or other modern forms of communication and technology, and use a small notebook computer, linked via the aforementioned 'Join Me' for internet usage.

This winter, (northern summer), instead of heading to the north of Australia, then east, for the warmer weather, we have decided to hire a motor home in southern Germany, for ten weeks and have a bit a look around, some of the southern parts of Europe.

We have purchased online, the 'Aires' France and Bord Atlas, and will bring out 'Tom Tom' to find our way around, favouring the free or low cost 'camp' sites which appear to be numerous in France and Germany. We favour 'Freedom Camping' both for the cost saving and for the great people we meet and have met, at these camps, in outback Australia, although the facilities are very basic, sometimes not even a waste bin. As we are fully self contained, with solar power and a generator, for electricity, this doesn't really concern us and we take our rubbish with us and use the "Dump Spots' provided in many small towns for 'black water waste' and the stand pipes for fresh water. We try to spend our 'hard earned' in small towns, especially those who provide facilities to 'grey nomad' travelers, so it is very much a win, win situation

My problem is how will I get wifi,when we are in Europe, as if I do bring my phone, I will buy a prepaid Sim card, in the country we are in, but can't use 'Join Me', outside of Australia.

Would appreciate advice, of a simple but effective kind, as we are not very high tech. Do I purchase a toggle or whatever they are called, that plugs into my notebook or is there some other way?

Any other tips and/or advice would also be greatly appreciated. We intend bypassing main roads and larger cities and towns, where possible, preferring to meet locals and spend our time in smaller towns and villages in country areas.

Thank you, in anticipation and 'safe travel!

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
If your phone is unlocked then you could buy a pay as you go sim card on a on monthly contract. register it in the country where you bought it and then ask to switch on roaming, it can then be used throught Europe without additional charges.
I don't understand why your "join me" would work here, most phones can create a wifi hotspot. Make sure the sim you buy allows tethering.
Read up on sim only deals here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-sim-only-contracts#heavy

Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2017
beds
Funster No
MH
burstner
Exp
Buy a 3 sim internet with legs, from Three .com for 24 GB or 24 months that works all over Europe for about £40. Got mine from Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Lewis and Wendy

Yes you can buy a local sim card in France or Germany but my understanding is that the this needs to go into your phone but then you need to connect your computer, I don't know the "join me" app but guess it won't be much us to you so you would need to "tether" your notebook to the phone data signal, not all sim deals allow tethering to be careful when you buy it.

The other way would be to buy a device called a MiFi which takes a data sim card and then put out a WiFi signal which you notebook can connect to, this might be an expensive option for just a couple of weeks unless it is of use back home.

Martin

EDIT sorry I see it's 10 weeks,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Buy a 3 sim internet with legs, from Three .com for 24 GB or 24 months that works all over Europe for about £40. Got mine from Amazon.
Does that allow "tethering" in Europe as the OP has a steam driven phone so needs the connection to notebook computer.

Martin

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I agree with Martin, a MiFi is the way to go. It creates a WiFi zone around it and your laptop can then connect to that.
I've found Vodafone very good in Europe (France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Portugal tried so far but does everywhere). You can buy Vodafone SIM cards in Australia. You need a data only one but check it will work in Europe. It should but best to ask Vodafone directly. :)

You might also want to consider getting a better phone so you can run apps like CamperContact to find places to stop. :)

Have a good trip!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you don't want to go the mobile data route, most bars and restaurants have free wifi & tourist offices, France & Uk is better for wifi than most other countries Germany probably the worst.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back