Little Liz

Free Member
Apr 11, 2019
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autocirrus
Exp
Fairly new to it, just for weekends at present, hoping to go further afield for longer soon
Advice please for our first trip abroad! Should we get an Apple compatible dongle. What is an iBoost ? Shall I speak to my phone network provider first? Will our fire stick work ? Thanks in advance! ?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
wow ... potential for lots of info coming your way with those open ended questions.

first what you want to do with the apple device you are considering a dongle for?

your fire stick will work if you connect it to the internet either via wifi or your network provider.

OP
OP
Little Liz

Little Liz

Free Member
Apr 11, 2019
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autocirrus
Exp
Fairly new to it, just for weekends at present, hoping to go further afield for longer soon
Thanks Phil!

My iPhone and iPad for phoning and surfing the net really. We have been told we should get a dongle but can we not just get a short term data package from our mobile phone provider? Not sure how to stream films etc but can take DVD’s to watch in case we get bored! Real dinosaurs sorry!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i assume your ipad has a sim of its own?

you will need a decent amount of data allowance to stream for more than a few days, dependent who your network provider is and your contract will determine what you need to do.

there are threads on this subject with a lot of info search the forum for them as there is too much for me to put here.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Your firestick will work preferably on WiFi to save data, if you have Netflix you can download loads of films and tv shows before you go. We normally download two or three films and maybe a complete season of something, once we’ve watched a film we’ll download another whenever we have decent WiFi. Doing this won’t use your mobile data and plenty of places with WiFi, we downloaded 2 films while having a drink in France then watched them back at the van.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
One point, there is no such thing as an Apple compatible dongle. A dongle is basically a mobile router, using a phone sim card, but just for data, to provide wifi.
If you go that route, in general, the more expensive dongles will pull in a much better signal. Go for one offering 300mbps - twice as fast as many cheaper ones. As for the sim card you use, you need to shop around for the best data deals at the time. Some restrict the amount you can use abroad per month, so check carefully.
As already stated, streaming films/tv will be heavy use on your data allowance abroad.

OP
OP
Little Liz

Little Liz

Free Member
Apr 11, 2019
Lampeter
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autocirrus
Exp
Thank you very much for that helpful information. Doubt that we will stream anything just would like WiFi to keep in touch with home. Thanks again.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Why not tether your other devices to your iPhone assuming.
1. Your contract allows international tethering, some don’t.
2. You’ve got enough data, most contracts will allow roaming data add ons.

In my experience the mobile signal is better than at home in most countries, as you can choose the best network, your not tied to the network partner your home provider will tell you.
Go to the network settings and turn off automatic network setting.
Try all the networks on the list one by one to get the best or fastest network.
Once you’ve found the best one your phone should stick to that network for the duration of your stay.

The French mobile networks are allowed to broadcast at more power than ours which is why you get a good signal on the French networks on the south coast from Dover to Eastbourne some days.
When I was working in Folkestone I had to turn of roaming because my phone preferred the French network to Vodafone U.K.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Agree with Off da Grid, however I've also got an iBoost and it works very well. Whilst it can detect wifi signals, sometimes from quite far away, it doesn't 'boost' them so if you"re on a site with limited bandwidth and/or many users it will pick up the signal comfortably but you might still struggle with buffering. A bonus for the iBoost though is that on those sites where you have to pay for wifi you only need to pay for the one connection, which on some of the French sites can be quite a saving. I also use mine at home to remove the blindspot at one end on the house.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There is a guide on our website which might help you:

However first question, who is your current network provider for your phones and what is your current data plan?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you intend to stream data, you could gobble-up a lot of bandwidth.
You could ether to your current phone and use whatever your provider will allow.
A MiFi device would allow you to get what you need independent of your phone. 3's "Internet with legs" (think that's what they call it) can provide up to 48Gb within two years for around £48. You need to check that last bit, as memory is not one of my strong points.

Jan 22, 2017
North wales
Funster No
MH
Ace Napoli (Swift)
Exp
Since February 2019
Your firestick will work preferably on WiFi to save data, if you have Netflix you can download loads of films and tv shows before you go. We normally download two or three films and maybe a complete season of something, once we’ve watched a film we’ll download another whenever we have decent WiFi. Doing this won’t use your mobile data and plenty of places with WiFi, we downloaded 2 films while having a drink in France then watched them back at the van.
I know very little about this..so please tell what do you download onto and how do you then view it..thanks in advance

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I know very little about this..so please tell what do you download onto and how do you then view it..thanks in advance

If you have the app on your phone or tablet you can download certain programs, if you only have a laptop just sign into your account and download. This means you can then view later without using your data. I don’t think you can download direct to firestick.

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
We went the mifi route and it worked great for us. Used it for our iPads and phones for general internet and email use and took Apple TV and connected to TV in MH to stream all kinds of junk from Netflix, itunes, etc. We used a number of 3’s Internet With Legs preloaded sims from Amazon and just swapped them about when they ran out. Even out in the sticks in France we always got enough bandwidth to stream movies.

If you intend to stream data, you could gobble-up a lot of bandwidth.
You could ether to your current phone and use whatever your provider will allow.
A MiFi device would allow you to get what you need independent of your phone. 3's "Internet with legs" (think that's what they call it) can provide up to 48Gb within two years for around £48. You need to check that last bit, as memory is not one of my strong points.
We met up with the kids in SW France and plugged it into their chalet and watched movies there too, very versatile bit of kit.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Firstly look at your phone contract. I find I have enough data to make it a hotspot for my iPad.
I have a 15 gig contract with EE for £10 and my husband a 2 gig roll over data contract with ID for £5 month. That’s plenty for us.
It’s probably most economic just to upgrade your contract. Lots of deals around especially if you tell them you are thinking of moving providers.
You can use your data and text and minutes allowance in EU as at home.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We went the mifi route and it worked great for us. Used it for our iPads and phones for general internet and email use and took Apple TV and connected to TV in MH to stream all kinds of junk from Netflix, itunes, etc. We used a number of 3’s Internet With Legs preloaded sims from Amazon and just swapped them about when they ran out. Even out in the sticks in France we always got enough bandwidth to stream movies.

We met up with the kids in SW France and plugged it into their chalet and watched movies there too, very versatile bit of kit.
The only bit of kit I use in France. I just use a 12gb sim from 3 slap it in my mifi and it is used for my laptop. Phone, Internet, Facebook etc etc.

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
All companies now are pushing unlimited data plans. With the launch of 5G being cheaper to operate and faster speeds you should be able to stream all day without issues going forward. I’d just tether everything off the Mobile phone. Only need one data plan then.

Jan 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
CHAUSSON FLASH 08
Exp
SINCE 2009
Just go with these guys - they have contacted you above. Their 4G Roof Antenna, MiFi & Quick Mount Fitting Kit will give perfect reception if you are prepared to spend a few £100.

Look at 3network and their Go Roam option that allows you to use the SIM in 71 countries

Rangersmith

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
wales
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 744
Exp
Since 2015
Be careful all networks have a roaming cap abroad, I just got a new 3 sim £18 pm for unlimited everything data included, but when abroad the cap is 12 gb I think.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back