Wifi hotspot for motorhome (iBoost?) (1 Viewer)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I just rely on my Iphone now and its hotspot.
Data roaming abroad with Orange is [HI]only [/HI][HI]£3 for 100mb [/HI]for each day that you log on. If you dont log on you pay nothing, if you exceed 100mb it simply charges you £3 for a further 100mb this can be done up to 10 times in each 24hrs so no scary bills.
In my experience 100mb is plenty for a day.
I too have a fonera and as Addie said its only a stock issue, just leave your email address

CA_07281314300020-L.jpg

Only £3 for a 100mb.......EXPENSIVE......... 10 times a day = £30 a day.... 30 days use is £900, that's scary:whatthe:

I use local sims wherever possible, such as "Bliep" in Netherlands, only 50 euro cents a day (about 40p), unlimited data, first 500mb at fast high speed connection then it just throttles back the speed after 500mb, but at no extra cost. Only charges you on days you use it.

You could also use the "Europa" sim card in almost all countries in the EU, so there is no "swapping" needed of multiple sims, once again 500mb data allowance at high speed, then it just reduces to slower speed at no extra charge, it's €3 a day, only when you use it.

As for the OP not wanting to swap sims and phones, a cheap £10 "unlocked" phone, (doesn't need to be a smart phone), is where you can keep your UK sim so you never miss a call or SMS to your normal UK number. Once you leave UK put your regular UK sim into your cheap phone and away you go, sorted...........:thumb:

I too have access to FON through BT, but I have only used it in a few places, found it too be a bit slow on most occasions.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've never managed anywhere near 100mb so no it's not expensive and by next summer it may be included as part of your contract at no extra

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I've never managed anywhere near 100mb so no it's not expensive and by next summer it may be included as part of your contract at no extra

Of course everyone had different needs, but for us that would be a very expensive deal. The OP is talking about connecting multiple devices, multiple devices = multiple consumption.

We are currently in Portugal, and with 4 of us connecting 7 devices via my Europa sim which is in my Huawei e5776 MiFi ( only £24.99 from Currys, unlocked for 99p), we have far exceeded 500 mb every day, but it is still costing us less for unlimited daily data for 4 people , than the £3 charged by Orange for just 100mb....... and we are all using free WiFi when out and about in bars and restaurants and anywhere it is available....

If you look at Google Maps for example it can really "eat" into data allowances

I am on 3 (UK), so I already have access to my UK contract at no roaming charges in Austria, Australia, Denmark, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Italy, Macau, the Republic of Ireland, Sri Lanka, Sweden and the USA. More countries are expected to follow soon.:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes true
Only me and the wife and she connects her ipad to my iphone as well as myself and still no where near 100mb.

I'll add that as recent as July I'd only get 30mb for £3 so at 100mb it's going the right way

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Also means just my phone and none of the faffing with all the extra paraphernalia of chargers dongles aerials usbs etc :ROFLMAO:

No faffing about here either :thumb:..... and not the slightest worry about monitoring whether we reach get close too or exceed 100mb or beyond.....:Cool:

Just one device, the Huawei Mifi,the size of a mobile phone............ slips into a pocket or a handbag and all 4 of us are are connected wherever we go without worrying should we exceed 100mb........simples...

No dongles, no aerials, no usbs, it charges by usb so you can charge it from your laptop, iphone, or ipad charger, no need to even bring it's own charger......

:thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes true
Only me and the wife and she connects her ipad to my iphone as well as myself and still no where near 100mb.

I'll add that as recent as July I'd only get 30mb for £3 so at 100mb it's going the right way

I remember when Vodafone had 25mb for £2 a day when roaming........ there was a time, (albeit very brief) I even used that in some countries where I had no better options....:Doh:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Aaaaaagggghhhhhhhh!

Now I am back to square one = confused! Half way through this post I thought I had the answer, the iBoost, but now I am not so sure.

Should I go down the mobile network route instead?? A Mifi and some form of SIM card. I just want to pick up my emails each day, so I will not use anything like the Europa SIM's 500Mb per day, no matter how many dodgy pickies and jokes my brother in law sends me.

The question is what SIM card? I know the answer for the UK - Giff Gaff, but what about France and Spain and Germany and and and ...... I am not sure about Orange, so what options are there out there in Europe?

By the way thank you all so much for all the great advice, just need a bit more now!!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Aaaaaagggghhhhhhhh!

Now I am back to square one = confused! Half way through this post I thought I had the answer, the iBoost, but now I am not so sure.

Should I go down the mobile network route instead?? A Mifi and some form of SIM card. I just want to pick up my emails each day, so I will not use anything like the Europa SIM's 500Mb per day, no matter how many dodgy pickies and jokes my brother in law sends me.

The question is what SIM card? I know the answer for the UK - Giff Gaff, but what about France and Spain and Germany and and and ...... I am not sure about Orange, so what options are there out there in Europe?

By the way thank you all so much for all the great advice, just need a bit more now!!

I have got both.

If I can't connect to anything on the iboost , then I use the mifi.

I have got a 3 pay as you go sim which was I think about £12 and lasts for 3 months or until you use up the limit on the sim. So if you are not using your mifi it isn't really costing you anything.

My iboost has I reckon already paid for itself after about 18 months of use.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yes I have heard about Fon, and it looks good. But no I don't have BT at home, and I am not planning to if their customer services can't even answer a few simple questions I have asked them!

You used to be able to buy the Fon router separately and attach it to your existing home router, and join their network. But I can't seem to find it in the UK any more. Has anybody got a link to where I can buy one please?

Yes you can buy a seperate Fon Router I have one...FON is very good in the UK.&..France...but not a lot in Spain and Portugal.......BUT and there is always a BUT you do need a booster to pull in the Fon signals..or else you need to be parked on the persons drive or in there house to pick up there signals....and as you say YOUR PADS and Ipad...Iphone ..may not or does not have USB for the signal booster connection.....:Doh:..do you not have a laptop or a netbook

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I am similar in the way I get online, but not via an iBoost.

I use either an omnidirectional antenna through an ALFA wireless adapter to a USB port, or a powerful directional USB "plug and play" antenna with the Ralink chipset, but if no WiFi available, I use an unlocked Hauwei E5776 4G MiFi and sim card.

With so many WiFi signals being password protected, the MiFi gets used the most. Even as a BT customer, I often struggle to get BT FON, and when I do, the signal invariably drops out, especially at peak times. A BT engineer told me that BT Home Hubs are only good for transmitting WiFi up to 9mtrs (30ft). :whatthe: Not sure how accurate that figure is, but whilst I can pick up several hubs with either of the antennas, I can only connect to the really closest signal, so out in the sticks, it tends to be a mobile phone signal that I rely on, via the MiFi.

HTH,

Jock.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have an Alpha r36, works ok.
I also have Repeatit directional
Along with an SFR Mifi Dongle PAYG
An unlocked Mifi
FON
And as a very last resort (besided the mobile phone) a Kindle 3g, basic, but works

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We are currently in Portugal, and with 4 of us connecting 7 devices via my Europa sim which is in my Huawei e5776 MiFi ( only £24.99 from Currys, unlocked for 99p), we have far exceeded 500 mb every day, but it is still costing us less for unlimited daily data for 4 people , than the £3 charged by Orange for just 100mb....... and we are all using free WiFi when out and about in bars and restaurants and anywhere it is available....
Callum,

I've just had a look at the Europa Sim
The initial cost for the sim, is €39 + VAT. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Regarding the directional iBoost system - the bracket on the directional system will facilitate it being suction mounted to a roof if you wish. You just need to remove the thumb screw and reverse it. In terms of performance the directional system will always be the better of the two - although the Omni iBoost isn't far off, it can be frustrating when you are just out of range and unable to adjust anything your end to improve your signal as the Omni has equal receive sensitivity in 360 degrees.

It also has a pole mount molded to the back, so any pole like an awning leg, cycle rack etc. We also have a pole : Link Removed).

Regarding the FON - it is available in the UK, but they are just out of stock at present:
https://shop.fon.com/en/product/fonera-1

Same for Spain for example:
https://shop.fon.com/es/product/fonera-1

We can offer a possible solution for both calls and 3G data.

80% of our customers are now also purchasing a Toggle voice SIM card for phone calls. Free incoming calls in Western Europe and calls on a UK number and calls back to the UK from 3p per minute to both landlines and mobiles. These are just £5.

As for data we can offer a data SIM card which works anywhere in Europe £2.50/day for 500Mb data (after which speeds slow to 32Kbps). This is a great backup when WiFi is not available.

http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

Hope this is of use.

Adam
www.motorhomewifi.com

Adam

Questions re Toggle.

My understanding is that you get the SIM and it’s a UK number.
If you go to France you can request a French Number and so on.
If someone in the UK has the your UK number and you are in France using the French Number will the UK number be redirected to the phone in France, when in French mode?

Secondly, how do you manage the numbers? When you leave France to the UK, does the SIM automatically switch over.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I think I have covered as many options as I can afford :Eeek:
I have a USB Ralink directional which is handy for weak site wi fi and picking up fon, an I boost and now a TP link with Europa sim which I understand uses whichever network available and as already said costs 3€ for each day logged on. In addition also a mini I pad cellular which will accept any local nano sim.
No more please :Doh:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Aaaaaagggghhhhhhhh!

By the way thank you all so much for all the great advice, just need a bit more
now!!

Been to France many times, and surprised how much free wifi there is everywhere , if you only want to pick up emails , just go into any bar or restarunte and you will have wifi or even in the open air in most towns you can get on line, not good enough for many things but just emails it's fine, and if you are on O2 you can have internet on your phone for £1.99 a day if you really are stuck for wifi and tether it , not much allowance but enough for most things.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Adam

Questions re Toggle.

If someone in the UK has the your UK number and you are in France using the French Number will the UK number be redirected to the phone in France, when in French mode?

Secondly, how do you manage the numbers? When you leave France to the UK, does the SIM automatically switch over.
Yes, I was wondering too how the different numbers work

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

We charge £32.49 + 74p delivery from the UK - and handle your activation and first line support. There really is not a comparible Pay-As-You go product which gives you the same amount of roaming data as the EuropaSIM.

See: http://www.motorhomewifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/roamingdataaud13.png

You can have upto 9 numbers on your SIM card at any one time, you simply add them free for 30 days or pay £5 to have one added to your card for a year. This is managed on the Toggle Mobile website.

The person who calls you from the UK would always use your UK number, irrespective of where you are or what numbers you have on your account. In fact, you can forget about the "local number" part and think of it as registering for cheap calls (since by having a local number, calls back to the UK or in that country are 3p per minute).

Where the local number comes into play is those customers who, for example, have a second home in France. They would give this 'French number' tho people they knew who only had a French phone. The benefit now is for the person making the call as they do not have to call the UK number, they can call the French one.

Its advisable to turn your phone on and off when you enter a new country, but other then that it's fine. You get full itemised billing on the Toggle website, it is PayAsYouGo and if you wish it can be set to automatically top up online.

More information here: Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is what it says on O2 website hth

While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll only pay £1.99 to use 15MB of data in Europe each day. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Adam, thanks for that. To make it clear can I use an example.

I am off to France and Spain for a month so I register for a French and Spanish number. When I am in France I can then automatically make calls to somebody in France, Uk and Spain and only be charged 3p per minute? Is that for landlines only or landlines and mobiles?

When I am in France or Spain somebody who wants to call me from England uses my English number and the phone will ring. How much will that cost me? When I am in France somebody who wants to call me from France will use my French number. How much will that cost me?

When I go back in 6 months time can I register for another French and Spanish number for free, or can I only register free once and then have to use the £5 for a year facility?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I am off to France and Spain for a month so I register for a French and Spanish number. When I am in France I can then automatically make calls to somebody in France, Uk and Spain and only be charged 3p per minute? Is that for landlines only or landlines and mobiles?

When I am in France or Spain somebody who wants to call me from England uses my English number and the phone will ring. How much will that cost me? When I am in France somebody who wants to call me from France will use my French number. How much will that cost me?

When I go back in 6 months time can I register for another French and Spanish number for free, or can I only register free once and then have to use the £5 for a year facility?

Hi peterc10

Adam is the expert on these things, but I can add that I have the toggle sim and have ported my old orange number over so use it as my number at home. I have registered a French number and paid £5 to keep this as we had friends in France. I also registered a German number but this only lasts one month and can re register as and when required.

If somebody wants to call you they use your UK number and it costs them the usual call to a mobile charge and it cost you nothing to receive.

It will cost you 3p per minute to make a call to a UK landline either from the UK or any other toggle supported country (that you have registered a number for), the cost to mobile will be 15p per minute and web browsing/data will be charged at 15p per MB (Uk use only), you can add MB bundles on a month by month basis and with an i-phone constantly updating and some web browsing this is certainly the best option for me.

The toggle web site has a calculator for showing costs between various countries so it is worth having a look.

I will add that their customer service is spot on.

Martin

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Callum,

I've just had a look at the Europa Sim

Cheers,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Yes there is an initial charge for the sim. I think I paid about £33, that included an initial €5 credit on the sim. You also have to pay a charge of around €3.90 when you top up. I usually top up €50 at a time .

If you are travelling through several countries it is still the best SIM as it covers all of Europe and gives reasonable data allowances for just €3 a day and never costs you more than €3 per day.

If I don't have a cheaper local sim and have no wifi I will use my Europa sim. I'm on it now in Portugal......:thumb:

Cheers....

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Peter,

You will never pay to receive an incoming call if your Toggle phone rings in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States irrespective of what number they called you on, or if you have a local number or not.

You only need to have a local number in the country you are in, to benefit from cheap calls to other toggle countries. Eg if you are in France and have a French number, you can call the UK, Spain for between 3p and 9p.

Landlines are always 3p, mobiles are sometimes 3p and sometimes 9p.

Use the rate calculator on the homepage of:
http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en

web browsing/data will be charged at 15p per MB (Uk use only)

All correct Funflair, except that the 15p per Mb data is available for any Toggle country.

For the UK only you can buy data bundles - £5 for 500Mb, £7.50 for 1Gb and £10 for 2Gb valid for 30 days.

There are no data bundles for Europe at this time.

Last edited:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have internet via my satellite dish as I was sick of paying for wifi on a lot of sites, obviously the initial outlay for the dish was not cheap but I am full-timing so I was planning long-term. However I still use my iboost on sites with free wifi to save my data allowance. It is an excellent piece of kit and provides a strong signal most of the time, well worth the money in my opinion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back