Wifi dongle (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

All you experts that have been buying dongles, what do you think of this, just looking and can get 10 percent off this, is it any good.::bigsmile:
Thanks in advance

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
2 big questions....

How long does battery last ?

How long does PAYG data last after you run out of the initial 90 day deal ?

It seems you get the normal 30 days on the rest of the data.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
2 big questions....

How long does battery last ?

How long does PAYG data last after you run out of the initial 90 day deal ?

Good question , I don't know, was hoping someone could enlighten me::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Whilst I'm interested in 4G, I'm going to hang on for a bit yet. Although the new network is supposed to be extended significantly next year, at the moment much of the coverage is in the larger cities. Which are exactly the type of place I try to avoid in the van. :whatthe:

In fact, some of the places we go in the UK we struggle to get 3G, or even any mobile signal at all. :winky:

And I'm sure the data charges will be coming down before too long. So I'm watching and waiting for now. :thumb:

Sorry I can't help with any information or experience about the specific bit of kit you've asked about.

Mike

JSH

Free Member
Dec 17, 2012
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Data coverage is abysmal in the uk from EE even for 3G. In my experience (and I do it for a living) the 3 network is best for data for a MH. Look at the MiFi unit

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Data coverage is abysmal in the uk from EE even for 3G. In my experience (and I do it for a living) the 3 network is best for data for a MH. Look at the MiFi unit

3 is rubbish where we live, although we all have 3 sims in our phones for the unlimited data (when we get it). I bought a mifi dongle on EE and was impressed with the signal quality when my phone had none.
I suppose it's better the closer you get to bigger inland cities, we live close to Canterbury and I rarely get a decent 3G signal there, not even outside the 3 shop!
Allan

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
[HI]3 is rubbish where we live,[/HI] although we all have 3 sims in our phones for the unlimited data (when we get it). I bought a mifi dongle on EE and was impressed with the signal quality when my phone had none.
I suppose it's better the closer you get to bigger inland cities, [HI]we live close to Canterbury [/HI]and I rarely get a decent 3G signal there, not even outside the 3 shop!
Allan

I regularly pass through Dover Straits. Prior 3G I used to get a UK signal up to 20 miles off the coast and could connect with voice or SMS.

Since 3G it is almost impossible to connect on 3G passing through Dover in the SW lane close to the UK coast. If my phone(s) are on Auto search for networks they frequently jump onto French and even Belgian Networks and can get 3G signals. If I switch 3G off, I can occasionally get a very slow data connection on either Vodafone or 3 over 2G.

I recall someone once said to me that the UK Networks in Kent near the coast were powered down to prevent French phones jumping onto UK signals. I have no idea if there is any truth in that whatsoever, but can I can say that all around the UK coast I can get 3G signals much stronger than when passing a few miles off the Port of Dover.....

Yours confused......

:Sad:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

second that, dongles are now history ...buy the best Mifi you can:Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Link Removed

try 1 of these they are locked to any network and are wifi so you can pair it with more devices
dongles are really for 1 device and never get a locked 1

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm staying with Three on 3G at the moment for coverage reasons as others have stated.

For those who are interested, though, and may want better advice than Currys can provide, the Alcatel device is also available direct from EE for £70.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class

3 unfortunately seems to be pricing itself out the market at present for data- it used to be easy get the preloaded 3GB 3 sims for about £12 and they lasted up to 90 days, then 3 hiked the prices to over £20 (or rather stopped sellers from discounting them) and suddenly, EE sims of 6GB were a bargain at £20, also lasting up to 90 days. The EE sims will drop to 3g if there is no 4g signal, so no issue there. EE signal has been ok for me -I work in Brum, although our home postcode does not have great coverage, I still get a 3g signal at home.

EE is a much better deal on payg than 3 at present - I have stopped using 3 for that reason currently.

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
3 is rubbish where we live, although we all have 3 sims in our phones for the unlimited data (when we get it). I bought a mifi dongle on EE and was impressed with the signal quality when my phone had none.
I suppose it's better the closer you get to bigger inland cities, we live close to Canterbury and I rarely get a decent 3G signal there, not even outside the 3 shop!
Allan

Absolutely agree, we struggle with the 3 signal at home where EE is absolutely fine albeit not always a 4g signal. The Huawei 4g mifi is brilliant on EE, so much better and stronger signal than 3 ever was, but then 3 always had a poor signal around our area. 3 can keep their expensive data -happy to go with EE at half the price and a better signal!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

I regularly pass through Dover Straits. Prior 3G I used to get a UK signal up to 20 miles off the coast and could connect with voice or SMS.

Since 3G it is almost impossible to connect on 3G passing through Dover in the SW lane close to the UK coast. If my phone(s) are on Auto search for networks they frequently jump onto French and even Belgian Networks and can get 3G signals. If I switch 3G off, I can occasionally get a very slow data connection on either Vodafone or 3 over 2G.

I recall someone once said to me that the UK Networks in Kent near the coast were powered down to prevent French phones jumping onto UK signals. I have no idea if there is any truth in that whatsoever, but can I can say that all around the UK coast I can get 3G signals much stronger than when passing a few miles off the Port of Dover.....

Yours confused......

:Sad:

We go up to St Margaret's at Cliffe regularly, it's just a few miles from Dover. We have to turn our phones off otherwise we connect to French providers and it's easy to make a call or go online without realising it's going to cost more because we are on Orange F!
I would think the uk networks should boost their signal, not reduce it on the south coast, if Johnny Foreigner jumps onto our networks, it's going to cost him more and the uk networks will get extra revenue.
I remember years ago, we had an O2 cellphone about as large as a brick and we could get an O2 signal and make calls home, when we were on the beach or waiting to board the hovercraft at Calais
Happy days!
Allan

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Link Removed

try 1 of these they are locked to any network and are wifi so you can pair it with more devices
dongles are really for 1 device and never get a locked 1

Sorry, might of misled you there if you didn't click the link, this device is wifi not a dongle, and on 4g on ee:Doh: for £69 with three months sim in it, forget how much data you get but sounds good if it works ok. Never had anything to do with them as I tether my phone so just wondering if these work out better or cheaper.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Alcatel Y800 was on sale for £29.99 at the same time as the Huawei E5776 was £29.99 too! :RollEyes: The Huawei is by far the better MIFI (this is the fastest one available!) which is why I recommended the Huawei so personally I wouldn't pay what they are asking for the Y800.

As for the Huawei E5332 I wouldn't give it house room! When we rang '3' to see what they would offer us when our broadband contract ended about 2 months ago they tried to fob this off on us (or their version of it which is basically the same) but at the same time wanted to charge us nearly double for the privilege - annoying since it was no better at receiving than the 2 year old MIFI we already had! :Angry: That's why I ended up searching for something better and found the Huawei E5776! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back