Wifi booster (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Thanks Addie, I will gather the required info and PM you tomorrow.

Deleted User
my laptop is wireless and has a good range but this vastly inproved the range i am not sure where you got the price ÂŁ170 but i got the 2 ariels and the booster for the price i said and it was only that much because i paid the higher p&p to get it next day i posted my order before 2pm and got it next day via inter link and this morning around 9am i checked and it even gave me a 1hr time slot
Link Removed

Sorry, I misread the prices, didn't see the price for the kit and added the individual prices........and managed to get that wrong as well.:Doh::Doh:

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
The R36 can be powered from 12volt and 240volt , having not seen your software i can not comment , but only takes a few clicks with the mouse and its set up , it also allows you to connect a 3g dongle to share the wifi same as a mifi, i have 3 different aerials which allow for 3 different applications ,ie one for motorhome , one for car and one if we stop hotel or b&b,and if no wifi i can plug the 3g dongle in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I was using >>one of these omnidirectional antennas<< through >>one of these wireless adapters<< via an industrial quality USB cable, but not from the linked suppliers. The results were mixed, with very few connections being made when away in the MH. At home in a housing estate, the set up worked a treat showing many many WiFi signals.

I have more recently started using >>this type of directional antenna<<, and am really pleased with the results, and am more successful with picking up free WiFi, especially in the MH. :thumb: Again, it was not purchased from the linked supplier.
I am informed, that if I want to connect more than one item via WiFi, I can do so by downloading >>Connectify Lite<< free. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page).

When there are no free WiFi signals to pick up, eg, BT, FON, etc, I get the recently acquired MiFi out, and my daily internet comes via T Mobile, at the princely sum of.............50p per day. :roflmto:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
mifi it's a puzzle to me.

Help, I keep reading on this forum about mifi, please explain just what it is to me a novice in mobile Internet. we usually have to locate a macdonald or use the a campsite access which can be expensive and we are not always on a campsite. We have also seen the boosters that you fix to your van, what's the pros and cons, excuse my ignorance, hope to hear from the more experienced.:helpsos::helpsos::cry:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Help, I keep reading on this forum about mifi, please explain just what it is to me a novice in mobile Internet. we usually have to locate a macdonald or use the a campsite access which can be expensive and we are not always on a campsite. We have also seen the boosters that you fix to your van, what's the pros and cons, excuse my ignorance, hope to hear from the more experienced.:helpsos::helpsos::cry:

Broken Link Removed

Just a way of running a number of gadgets on the internet using just one sim card. I buy a sim off ebay for around ÂŁ13 that gives me 3Gb of data or 3 months use, whichever comes first.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
iBoost

We recently bought an iBoost and couldn't be more pleased with it. After using USB connected aerials on our Netbook, which made very little improvement in reception, the iBoost is a revelation.

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
Hi all,
Have read this post with great interest as I am thinking of getting the Iboost directional system. At the moment we too are using usb connected aerials and finding very little difference in signal strength hence the interest in Iboost, another thing that interests me is having your own password protected network.
So my thoughts are:-

1, Is the Iboost system really that much better than what we already have?

2, Is it really worth paying so much more than other systems?

:Confused:

Dave

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I have last years model directional booster from motorhomewifi. Which generally works fine. The main problem with directional boosters is that on camping sites you need to get a good line of sight to the wifi aerial and that can be difficult with huge motorhomes inthe way. I noticed the people that posted the pics of the 'fifer' conversion a few months ago had the same receiver as me strapped to a broomstick type of arrangement . To get above the vans in the way! Even just one MH in the way of the wifi transmitter will drastically reduce the directional signal.Also I think if you are putting a receiver all the way up a pole you will also need a powered USB signal booster otherwise the signal power will be reduced by the length of the cable required.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
2, Is it really worth paying so much more than other systems?

:Confused:

Dave
I would sum it up like this:

If you have a good understanding of this technology & are prepared to do your research properly, you can almost certainly source alternative kit that will do almost as good a job as the iBoost at a cheaper price. You will need to be confident of your ability to set it up without the benefit of an easy to understand manual or anyone on the end of a phone or email. You may be able to source a single router that will accept both a 3G & Wifi signal into the same unit.

On the other hand, you can take the easy, safe option, pay the extra & get an iBoost. Performance on a par with the anything else you are likely to get, however hard you look, easy to set up, backed by UK support by phone, email PM etc. Support from someone who's native language is the same as yours (well, almost - Yorkshire is close enough) really comes into its own when you are not really sure how to describe the problem or want an answer devoid of technical jargon.

I work in IT support. I have a reasonable understanding of the technology, but little detailed technical knowledge in this area. I could do the research, I could probably work out what the manuals mean, but I have other things to do with my time. I'm going to buy into the work Adam has done already & order an iBoost.

(I should say that I already have an excellent equivalent 3G extended range system, so don't need to try & kill two birds.)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Hi all,
Have read this post with great interest as I am thinking of getting the Iboost directional system. At the moment we too are using usb connected aerials and finding very little difference in signal strength hence the interest in Iboost, another thing that interests me is having your own password protected network.
So my thoughts are:-

1, Is the Iboost system really that much better than what we already have?

Dave

That depends on whether you compare it with the performance you are getting now, or with the performance you could get if you can get your current system working as it should. My suspicion is that either you have a driver problem or the aerial isn't getting the power it needs from the USB port. I don't know enough to advise you how to fix it though.

So yes, it will be much better than the performance you are getting now, but not necessarily an order of magnitude better than the performance your current kit ought to deliver if you can get it working as it should.

Oldyamyam

Free Member
May 4, 2012
France
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 1991
A big thankyou to 'The Caller' for a very helpful and concise post.
Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back