Wifi and cellular tablet (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
After much pondering I've decided to upgrade my VIC20 and assorted ancient laptops and get a decent tablet. I've used a Hudl1 for the last couple of years and although it's a bit Mickey Mouse, I quite like the concept.
I don't have, or want a smart phone.
I don't have, or want an iPad.
I'm looking at a Samsung of some sort, or something similar.

90% of my use is wifi at home but I would like to be able to use it when away without hunting some wifi hot spot so I will need cellular.

Cellphones and SIMs are not my forte so my question is, is it possible to get a simple PAYG SIM card and just top it up when I choose to ie no contract?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you are not a heavy data user it might be worth getting the three network 12gb/12months data sim, you can then use it on your travels if you are in their "feel at home" countries. The price varies but it not a lot and people usually post on here when there is a good deal.

£30 for 12 months on three site but might be better deals elsewhere.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searc...rTariff=50to99.99&payGPriceForTariff=0to49.99

Feel at home destinations.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_International/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations

NOT South Africa:(

Martin

Last edited:

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
As Cellular / WiFi unit is usually a lot more expensive than just WiFi, have you thought about a WiFi only tablet and a MiFi unit with data sim like the one @funflair suggested above? especially as you will be primarily using it at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cellphones and SIMs are not my forte so my question is, is it possible to get a simple PAYG SIM card and just top it up when I choose to ie no contract?

Yes but with some limitations.

The credit you top it up with will usually only last a certain period of time, sometimes as little as 30 days and if you don't use it you lose it.

Also many of them will have a condition whereby if you don't top it up regularly it will be cancelled.

You may have seen the many threads about the 3 pre paid data SIMS that many of us use abroad. That is exactly what you need. Buy one, it will last 12/24 months or until you run out of credit then throw it away and buy another one.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I did mention this already in another thread, Three have a sim only deal 4gb data each month for 9 quid. This also includes unlimited calls and text..You can put the sim wherever you like be it tablet phone or all manor of things. It is worth a look at three they do all sorts of good sim deals....(y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It could also be worth looking at the new Sky sim only mobile deals. I think you can carry any unused data over for a year....(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I did mention this already in another thread, Three have a sim only deal 4gb data each month for 9 quid. This also includes unlimited calls and text..You can put the sim wherever you like be it tablet phone or all manor of things. It is worth a look at three they do all sorts of good sim deals....(y)
4gb is a lot of data a month, I know for sure I wouldn't use that much so a fair proportion of the monthly £9 will go unused.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
4gb is a lot of data a month, I know for sure I wouldn't use that much so a fair proportion of the monthly £9 will go unused.

Martin

It depends. If your usage is just basic email, web browsing and maybe a bit of Faceache when you're away then it's loads.

If you choose to do something like stream a film or an evenings TV then 4GB can be munched in a few hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Martin
Two pound twenty five a week for all the data calls and text you require is not a kings ransom funfair. How much would you feel was a fair price to pay for such a service...

Deleted User
How about a transformer combined with a mifi, best of both worlds. A small useable laptop with USB and micro HDMI ports and a convenient tablet.
Such as this:

https://www.tesco.com/direct/asus-t...gb-win-10-office-365-1-year-blue/570-7814.prd

I have one a few years old now basically the same as this one but on Windows 8.1 and works well, I use it as a book reader and lots of apps are available.

I obtained a mifi unit cheaply by taking out a 3 monthly contract and then cancelling.

I also have a full size laptop but the transformer is very convenient when travelling, obviously other makes are available with other operating systems but usually more expensive.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Two pound twenty five a week for all the data calls and text you require is not a kings ransom funfair. How much would you feel was a fair price to pay for such a service...
Well the OP did specifically say "don't want a smartphone" so the call element would seem to be a waste of money for him, I would think that 50 pence a week would be fairer than £2.25 if the OP only wants the data and doesn't need 4gb a month.

Martin

EDIT just to add I use a a £10/month three sim for calls and data and think it is a good deal, for me.

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
As Cellular / WiFi unit is usually a lot more expensive than just WiFi, have you thought about a WiFi only tablet and a MiFi unit with data sim like the one @funflair suggested above? especially as you will be primarily using it at home.

Does a wifi only tablet plus a mifi do exactly what a wifi/cellular tablet does?

I've always believed that the only stupid question is the one you want answered but don't ask. :)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well the OP did specifically say "don't want a smartphone" so the call element would seem to be a waste of money for him, I would think that 50 pence a week would be fairer than £2.25 if the OP only wants the data and doesn't need 4gb a month.

Martin
I don't know of anyone who never uses a telephone to keep in touch ff..I think that GW was not requesting phone because he already has a payg mobile. Combining the two into one sim has got to be a worthwhile exercise.(y) My tablet can also be used for phone calls...:)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Going by GW's maxim on the lines of "the only daft question is the one you didn't ask" - can somebody please explain (words of no more than half a syllable pleeeeease) this "tethering" thing?

Deleted User
The mifi unit uses a data only sim but phone calls can be made via the tablet using skype or other VOIP services

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The mifi unit uses a data only sim but phone calls can be made via the tablet using skype or other VOIP services
Okaaaaay..... I think I get that MM, thank you (you have to realise you're talking to somebody who's never used Skype, and who bought a little mifi thingy from Tesco about 2 years ago and never got it out of its box because I couldn't understand the instructions)... and how much fiddling about does it take to get the mifi/ tablet/ phone combination to do that please?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know of anyone who never uses a telephone to keep in touch ff..I think that GW was not requesting phone because he already has a payg mobile. Combining the two into one sim has got to be a worthwhile exercise.(y) My tablet can also be used for phone calls...:)
I agree but not that the OP would so I am trying to understand the question and answer in the most accurate way for the OP.

Martin

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Going by GW's maxim on the lines of "the only daft question is the one you didn't ask" - can somebody please explain (words of no more than half a syllable pleeeeease) this "tethering" thing?
It is a wifi link that you can set up on your phone using the phones data. Bit like your home modem is used for mobile usage..

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes but if you had it in your phone you could tether to that and use it as a phone as well(y)
You can't tether three data from a phone to a tablet in a "feel at home country" or I can't anyway.

Martin

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You can't tether three data from a phone to a tablet in a "feel at home country" or I can't anyway.

Martin
This is correct, however some/many tablets will take their own sim card for use with feel at home..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It is a wifi link that you can set up on your phone using the phones data. Bit like your home modem is used for mobile usage..
I like the modem analogy, that works for me, thank you

Deleted User
Okaaaaay..... I think I get that MM, thank you (you have to realise you're talking to somebody who's never used Skype, and who bought a little mifi thingy from Tesco about 2 years ago and never got it out of its box because I couldn't understand the instructions)... and how much fiddling about does it take to get the mifi/ tablet/ phone combination to do that please?

It can be a little daunting to set up the mifi as the manufacturer (Huawei in my case) has a home page that it will connect to in order to set up and connect to the network of the sim being used. It would be complicated to try and explain like this but I am sure that if you tried to set one up whilst having access to this forum by some other means then lots of help would be available.

Once the mifi is connected to a mobile network then your laptop/tablet should connect using the password/key on the mifi unit as with a home router.

Skype can be downloaded to the tablet and set up by paying an initial £10 but calls to landlines are cheap and skype to skype calls are free.

Sorry if that sounds complicated, others will undoubtedly be able to explain things more clearly than I:)

OP
OP
GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Wow - thanks for all your input guys, I'm sure I can make a plan now.
I'm now being dragged out to do some shopping :-( but while I'm out, if any of you care to recommend a particular tablet, I'd be very happy to hear from you.
Thanks again.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It can be a little daunting to set up the mifi as the manufacturer (Huawei in my case) has a home page that it will connect to in order to set up and connect to the network of the sim being used. It would be complicated to try and explain like this but I am sure that if you tried to set one up whilst having access to this forum by some other means then lots of help would be available.

Once the mifi is connected to a mobile network then your laptop/tablet should connect using the password/key on the mifi unit as with a home router.

Skype can be downloaded to the tablet and set up by paying an initial £10 but calls to landlines are cheap and skype to skype calls are free.

Sorry if that sounds complicated, others will undoubtedly be able to explain things more clearly than I:)
That's very clear and at the level I wanted/ needed, just to feel that I could do it (with a little help from my friends :) ) - so thank you very much MM (y)(y)(y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Does a wifi only tablet plus a mifi do exactly what a wifi/cellular tablet does?

I've always believed that the only stupid question is the one you want answered but don't ask. :)

Yes but you would need to carry your MiFi with you all the time you had the tablet.

Martin
Cannot add much to this reply really. Only real drawback is if you are wondering around town and wanted to stop and check something online, you would have to have the MiFi unit on you - unless of course you can find a local WiFi spot to log on to. eg McD's, library, market street etc.;) If you can wait til you got back to the mh, no need to carry around.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back