Wife's chrissy pressie - tablet or kindle (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Her ladyship has requested a new kindle on the grounds her present machine freezes and is annoying her. Now I know its incredibly dangerous to not follow instructions to the letter but I'm wondering wouldn't a tablet be more useful. Here's the reasoning.
1. When traveling we need a back up / alternative sat nag to our crazy Tom Tom, I understand you can load various such things onto a tablet. She doesn't read anything (including maps!) when I'm driving so ok to use it.
2. Our CD music thing refuses to eject CDs without poking objects into it to remove the disc. We've just returned from Spain for 8 weeks listening to a chap called Smith, it might be nice to listen to a wider selection. Perhaps a tablet can run both sat nav and play tunes at same time?
3. Not having a sat dish means in some places no tv, not really missed it but again the odd film is welcome. We did find some charity shops in Spain selling English films in dvd for 50 cents and that was good cos our tele will play them. What I'm thinking is to load films onto a tablet and watch em when we want.
So is there a tablet that anyone can recommend that will do this and of course hold hundreds of books on as well.
Any recommendations?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You know you will get loads of advise on this one.. !!!
Here is mine..

Ipad, used to be my recommendation BUT to get one with the larger memory costs a bomb..

I (and the wife) now have Samsung galaxy tab A.. Reasonable price at about £179 you can buy plug in SD card to expand the memory.. You can get the Kindle app as hence sort your book requirement out. Load films but remember a film can take up to 1gb so soon fills memory..
Does your TV not have USB input, check it as many do and you could maybe carry a hard drive loaded with films..
I have a small 500gb pocket HDD and keep that loaded with TV shows and films..

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
My Kindle is languishing in a drawer since I downloaded the kindle app onto my tablet. As you say, the tablet has so many other uses.

I have loads of music on a memory stick, play via the tablet or cab stereo.

I use maps.me with sites etc loaded, works via GPS with route but not specific for large vehicles. This has been more useful than our satnav on many occasions.

Karen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Love my tablet (have an older Samsung Galaxy and would buy another) ..... didn't like the Kindle.

The Galaxy is larger than the Kindle and the screen is larger and it is heavier.

I also have a larger Aldi special tablet (10 inch) used for the satnag and as a cheap back-up. I find that too big for an e-reader but great for the satnag. Satnag software is the paid for iGo. Not faultless (none are) but used in conjunction with a paper map, your own eyes and some common sense it is a useful aid - I really like the lane guidance.

I also have the LPG app (free) which has been very useful.

Personal preference really.

Since the last software update both his Kindle and my tablet screens freeze from time to time but only on certain books...... I think there is a software glitch to be honest.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
@tonka what service do you use to get films/TV shows please?

Karen

BBC iplay lets you download and store some for a while.
NETFLIX is now doing something similar..
I use a program on the PC called "FREEMAKE" so DVD's I can convert and store on Hard drive or move on/off the tablet.
Also I use "Kodi" and some films on there can be downloaded.

There are various options.. If you can get a HDD loaded up then you always have the option to move things around and load to and from the tablet. It may even play direct, something i have not tried, as said when in van we run the hard drive via the USB on the TV... Films on the tablet are move for when I am flying somewhere.

Ref your sat nav back up.. With the tablet and android there are several sat nav options, i often just use google maps on my phone which is free and works as good as my old Tom Tom.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We both use kindles for reading, it's a better reading screen, the battery life is weeks and days and days of reading and on the whole it is lighter and therefore easier to hold. Tablet is great, sat nav, maps, web research etc.., iplayer but not for long term reading and until tablets sort out the battery life for me the kindle will be the choice for reading.

I think you need to be very careful you do not fall into the trap of buying something you want. Just think of the debates you can have as she is reading her book and you want to watch a film or check a route:xshout:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I love my iPad but if your wife really only wants to read with it, they are a lot heavier. So for reading a lot I think a kindle it better. Just a personal opinion and I guess it depends on the type and size of tablet you are considering.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi RidersofRohan

SHMBO and I both have Android tablets onto which I have loaded the Kindle app and we can use either tablet to read all the books and PDF docs etc that we have associated with our Kindle account. As an example we have out Insurance docs on our Kindle account so we can access them if needed as well as the 600 page manual on my new camera.

Both our Samsung tablets, which we are very pleased with, have at least 16GB of internal memory as well as a micro SD slot which will take, in our case, 128GB memory cards. Some only take smaller cards. Also it is possible to link to them via the mini USB socket further memory like USB sticks if need be. We have a big collection of films and TV programmes stored on hardrives which we play on our TV when travelling. We could load 100+ films etc on each tablets available memory if we wished to.

The only downside I can suggest maybe that a Kindle will be smaller and lighter and the tablets screens may not be quite so clear in daylight. The obvious upside is the addtional computing ability of the Tablets. I am not sure whether the current Kindles available still have the ability to download books via the internet througout Europe etc without charge as some were capable of in the past.

Our tablets do not have the ability to add a sim to enable them to use Mobile Broadband but we have a MIFI and so connect to that. SHMBO does a lot of crafting and makes a lot of use of Youtube to watch craft videos.

Hope this helps

Doug

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Her ladyship has requested a new kindle on the grounds her present machine freezes and is annoying her. Now Iknow its incredibly dangerous to not follow instructions to the letter but I'm wondering wouldn't a tablet be moreuseful.

You're a brave man to argue with a lady...... :xrofl:

If that is what she wants then oblige her.......:xgrin:

then either ask Santa for an ipad/tablet or buy you own........:imoutahere:

Jude

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
To be fair, I never liked my Kindle much so it didn't take much for me to abandon it :xgrin: I prefer real books and I'm getting ready for our post-xmas trip to Spain by trawling the charity shops for books and DVDs.

These will be stuffed into cupboards then recycled at various sites as we travel.

Karen

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've bought my other half a Kindle paperwhite for Crimble - the one without the built-in adverts. You have to search to find this model as I don't think they want you to buy it!
She has a tablet with the kindle app but the Paperwhite should be better for reading outside as her tablet is hard to read in sunlight. Plus of course a longer battery life.
I have a Nexus 9 which does has a better screen outdoors but is more expensive. I can't advise a Kindle Fire as they are too hard-wired into doing everything through Amazon.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Don't risk it - buy your wife what she's asked for!! (y)

If you really prefer an alternative, DISCUSS it first, in order to maintain marital harmony...

But speaking personally, I wouldn't chance it.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
LOVE my Amazon Kindle fire.....And on offer this week at under £40.00.

Or, get her a new set of scrubbing brushes. All women love scrubbing brushes, it reminds them of............Victory. :xThumb:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like you want a tablet and she wants a Kindle, do you want to risk your life?

We both have Kindles also take 2 tablets and a notebook with us & 2 smartphones.
Since I bought a phone with a 5.5" IPS screen don't use my tablet much.

Tablets are pretty useless for reading, the bright colour screen is hard on the eyes, battery life is only a few hours, can't use in bright sunlight so hopeless if you want to sit outside reading. Kindle Fire is an Amazon barstedised tablet best avoided.

Kindle paperwhite has a battery life of weeks, can be read in bright sunlight and in bed without the light on, easy on the eyes. Much better reading experience.
Bought both our daughters Kindles last Christmas, the never knew they wanted one now both of then love their Kindles.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
new vacuum cleaner

15349567_10154636922026007_2714258583906849433_n.jpg

I dare you!

Pete

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've got an older kindle which is no good for reading in bed in low light but great for reading out doors, so that's what I use it for, my iPad is what I read in the dark.

OP
OP
RidersofRohan
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
What a great forum this is, not just technical advice but sound matrimonial advice to go with it.
Just to prove I'm not a complete fool in the latter department I showed her this thread with the words "I thought I needed some advice, and if you read the answers you can think about it while you have your hair done."
Point about the heaviness and less "suitability for reading" of the tablet was appreciated and this won the day. So she still wants a Kindle.
And a Kindle it is.
Now the other bits
Her words before going under the drier were:
Fix the CD unit (Gulp!!)
Load films onto the 500GB Seagate thingy if the tv has a usb thing, if not use the laptop.
Sadly no mercurial words of advice regarding sat nav back up, but do we need a back up? I think the CD unit will be a big enough challenge, is there a Radio/CD section on this forum?
Thanks ALL.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tell her she can buy you a tablet for crimbo sorted:xdoh:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
As others have said, the basic paperwhite kindle is better for reading whilst relaxing outside the MH. I would give her a little extra surprise with the addition of a Kandle so she can read in darkness or low light.

Amazon product ASIN B0069W345G

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's horses for courses. We have Kindle, tablet and laptop. The Kindle was specifically designed for reading books on and does it better than anything else.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
I have a kindle and a tablet. I don't like reading on the tablet at all. It's too heavy. And the light is harsh. I love both though.

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I've bought my other half a Kindle paperwhite for Crimble - the one without the built-in adverts. You have to search to find this model as I don't think they want you to buy it!
She has a tablet with the kindle app but the Paperwhite should be better for reading outside as her tablet is hard to read in sunlight. Plus of course a longer battery life.
I have a Nexus 9 which does has a better screen outdoors but is more expensive. I can't advise a Kindle Fire as they are too hard-wired into doing everything through Amazon.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm guessing but was that about the different Paperwhites? The one you don't want is this one ("with special offers")

This one is better, but a tenner or so more: (without special offers)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back