WIDE ANGLE CAMERA (1 Viewer)

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
Has any one else fitted fitted a wide angle camera in to the passenger door mirror what a big safety feature cannot understand why these don,t come as extra fantastic for driving round france when joining motorways.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Has any one else fitted fitted a wide angle camera in to the passenger door mirror what a big safety feature cannot understand why these don,t come as extra fantastic for driving round france when joining motorways.
I fitted two on the passenger side, one for a slightly side/rearward view ( like you said for joining motorways etc) one for a fully side view. I set up my display systems so I can quickly see both views at once if required. Certainly much safer when driving without a co pilot, and even at times with, I use them in the UK too!

Broken Link Removed
I]

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016

Sounds like an excellent idea and a great safety feature. Do you have a separate screen with the view constantly showing or have it linked into a reversing camera screen and select the wing-mirror camera when required?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Sounds like an excellent idea and a great safety feature. Do you have a separate screen with the view constantly showing or have it linked into a reversing camera screen and select the wing-mirror camera when required?
I found you really need two screens for my set up, I bought a cheap double din android media centre with a screen for the van console and a large reversing camera screen off eBay for the constant rear view camera/side camera, which is switchable between the two. I am able to see the views of 4 cameras if required (the large screen usually has the permanent rear view camera on) which has saved me a few times!!!! I configured both screens to be able to display the two side view cameras at once to get a full 180° side view.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
I found you really need two screens for this set up, I bought a cheap double din android media centre with a screen for the van console and a large reversing camera screen off eBay for the constant rear view camera/side camera, which is switchable between the two. I am able to see the views of 4 cameras if required (the large screen usually has the permanent rear view camera on) which has saved me a few times!!!!

Thanks for the explaination. Do you have a photo of the camera on the door mirror, how have you fixed it?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Thanks for the explaination. Do you have a photo of the camera on the door mirror, how have you fixed it?
I didn't use the mirror but the side grp panel (as per picture above) so I could easily get the wiring up into there and replace the cameras on the road if required (I keep spares). http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162509605221

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
Our rear view and reversing cameras get filthy in wet weather to the point you struggle to see anything. How do the side fitted ones cope or do they stay fairly clean being side on?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Our rear view and reversing cameras get filthy in wet weather to the point you struggle to see anything. How do the side fitted ones cope or do they stay fairly clean being side on?
Part of my daily pre drive off check is to clean the camera system. The sides stay clearer than the rears !

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I fitted two on the passenger side, one for a slightly side/rearward view ( like you said for joining motorways etc) one for a fully side view. I set up my display systems so I can quickly see both views at once if required. Certainly much safer when driving without a co pilot, and even at times with, I use them in the UK too!

Broken Link Removed
I]

Nice idea, looks like I need to make a purchase and drill some holes.

Your eBay link did not work for me but if you use the item number at the end in an eBay search then it comes good.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Nice idea, looks like I need to make a purchase and drill some holes.

Your eBay link did not work for me but if you use the item number at the end in an eBay search then it comes good.
The drill bit normally comes supplied with the kit! I have had mine on for 2 years with no probs. However unlike the more robust rear view camera which is on all the time I have wired in a switch to switch the power supply off to these side cameras when they are not in use. Which is next to the activation switch for the side camera attached to the android console (wired into the reversing camera activation line on the console so the side camera picture comes on straight away no matter even if the android console is switched off) (y)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Have one fitted to inside of passengers side window as our van is LHD so when my copilot is not with me at home in UK I can see on roundabouts and junctions mine is a pioneer attached to my pioneer head unit it was originally a reversing camera but did not get on with it there so recycled it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back