LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How can using the the BT "Openzone" hotspot provided by me opting into the BTfon scheme be illegal?
That is exactly what the scheme offers; you let your modem bi fricate to provide a separate public access "Openzone" hot spot, in return to being able to use everyone else's within the scheme plus all the normal Openzone hotspots.
I should have used the word "illicit" rather than "illegal" and should have done a bit more research before my last post.

Having looked at the BT web site I see that BT Fon comes with BT Broadband, which is a service for residential customers and not for companies (including their reps doing company business on the road) - unless, of course, they have paid in some other way to use Openzone/Fon.

It does not connect to my network as the modem has split into two separate channels; Had long discussions with BT on the security issues with this and they say is absolutely not connected.
As above, I should have done more research before posting.

Seems a purpose made solution, so I agree why did BT and the CC not go that route?

This is absolutely the main point - and, having now done the research and looked at the BT web site, I see that they actually did go down that route. The C&CC networks (being run by BT Openzone) can be accessed by BT Openzone customers (including Fon members) as part of their home package, just like any other Openzone hotspot. As BT and Kezone have a reciprocal arrangement, BT Openzone customers can also access hotspots at CC sites as part of their home package.

People who are not BT Openzone/Fon customers are required to buy vouchers to access the hotspots. The prices within this country are detailed under UK Access Vouchers Here and the prices seem remarkably similar to those charged by the CC/C&CC.

Graham

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
I should have used the word "illicit" rather than "illegal" and should have done a bit more research before my last post.

Having looked at the BT web site I see that BT Fon comes with BT Broadband, which is a service for residential customers and not for companies (including their reps doing company business on the road) - unless, of course, they have paid in some other way to use Openzone/Fon.

As above, I should have done more research before posting.

This is absolutely the main point - and, having now done the research and looked at the BT web site, I see that they actually did go down that route. The C&CC networks (being run by BT Openzone) can be accessed by BT Openzone customers (including Fon members) as part of their home package, just like any other Openzone hotspot. As BT and Kezone have a reciprocal arrangement, BT Openzone customers can also access hotspots at CC sites as part of their home package.

People who are not BT Openzone/Fon customers are required to buy vouchers to access the hotspots. The prices within this country are detailed under UK Access Vouchers Here and the prices seem remarkably similar to those charged by the CC/C&CC.

Graham

In laymans terms then Graham does BT seem the best option as i have just changed over to them on broadband and did not know about this openzone/fon buisness nor how it works or how to get into it......dont confuse me now BT or Joe blogs dongle??...Dave:thumb:

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Graham

Whilst a BT Openzone member and also a BT Total Bb member I could access Kezone [ and several other "partner" providers], but now since my Openzone account expired I cant get onto any BT Openzone's partners, though still being a BT Total Bb client.

I can freely get onto genuine Openzone owned and all BTfon Openzone hot spots but not those of Openzone's partners.

So yes if you are an Openzone client you can use the CC sites, but its not true if your a BTfon client by virtue of your BT Total Bb account, even though you are yourself at home an Openzone hotspot.

So even as a BTfon your still locked into buying into a commercial service, with either Openzone or Kezone and no doubt a few other partners.

Unless I am the only BT TBb and BTfon client the system now refuses to work for?

Actually what I find is exactly what BT said would happen if I did not sign up to fund Openzone membership, after the FOC period expired. So its Cafe Nero or Starbucks or do my homework on local Fon sites where I travel; plus the good old Vodafone dongle if in a hurry.

If the clubs had gone with BT Openzone we would be happy bunnies, as I effectively stated earlier they did not look after the membership, or a large proportion of them who hold BT Bb accounts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
In laymans terms then Graham does BT seem the best option as i have just changed over to them on broadband and did not know about this openzone/fon buisness nor how it works or how to get into it......dont confuse me now BT or Joe blogs dongle??...Dave:thumb:

Depends entirely on your usage. The documentation you received from BT should tell you whether you are a Fon/Openzone member or not. If you are and your on-the-road Internet access is well enough served by being close to included hotspots then you may not need anything else.

We are not BT customers at home so if we want to access their hotspots we have to buy vouchers. Did so at two CC sites in early 2008 but then realised that we would be better off buying a dongle. At that time they were only available on Pay monthly, not PAYG, so we never got full value but it was cheaper than buying a weekly voucher every time we visited a CC site.

On top of that we could use the dongle when at places without hotspots - e.g. MH shows and other events on temporary camp sites (which we use several times a year). If you require Internet access in similar circumstances then Fon will only be any good if there happens to be a Fon hotspot nearby.

It's all a matter of working out where you want access and what is available at those places and going for the best match.

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Whilst a BT Openzone member and also a BT Total Bb member I could access Kezone [ and several other "partner" providers], but now since my Openzone account expired I cant get onto any BT Openzone's partners, though still being a BT Total Bb client.
(snip)
Not being a BT customer I was only going off what they say on their web site.

Here they say KeZone is "included in all BT Openzone pricing plans, except the International voucher".

Link Removed they say "BT Total Broadband customers who are members of BT FON can access BT Openzone hotspots as well as BT FON home hubs with their BT FON allocated wi-fi minutes...".

On that basis anyone with Total Broadband/Fon should be able to use Openzone and Kezone hotspots - unless the information which BT publish is misleading of course :Smile: Now, let me think, why did we leave BT as soon as we had a cable alternative? ::bigsmile:

Graham

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Link Removed they say "BT Total Broadband customers who are members of BT FON can access BT Openzone hotspots as well as BT FON home hubs with their BT FON allocated wi-fi minutes...".

On that basis anyone with Total Broadband/Fon should be able to use Openzone and Kezone hotspots - unless the information which BT publish is misleading of course :Smile:

Graham

Yes it is BT "speak"; as convoluted as the language allows;

What they are not saying is that anyone with Total Broardband/Fon can access BT's Openzone Partner's Hotspots.
That the catch; its only Openzone Hotspots that can be used, the partners part is NOT included as it is with a full blown Openzone account.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Personaly I have yet to find my btfon / openzone allowance to be any good anywhere!

I have taken to using my mobile phone as a modem for just mails, when I need more substantial browsing I pay up! (Avoiding the ridiculous costs at CC and CC&C sites)

However one point to note. Mobile broadband and other mobile phone based connections charge by the volume of data transmitted. Any laptop is likely to make all sorts of connections as soon as you connect to internet, for virus updates, windows updates, checking for new versions of all sorts of software. Not desireable when you are being charged by data volume. - especially overseas.

So I bought an HP IPAQ for use when travelling. This connects using my mobile phone, it does email very well. I only use the laptop when I need more substantial info, and only with a WIFI connection.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Lots of places across Europe have free wi fi including a favourite site of ours in Greece. Kaysersberg in France operates a scheme where you go to the tourist office and they give you an access number for free wi fi.[/url]

There is no such thing as free wifi - wherever you are.

It may well be free to the user but someone somewhere is having to pay for it. The campsite may offer this free service in order to increase its clientele but it may also be illegal. Others take the easy route and get some bug provider to do all the work and take all the risks thus resulting in these stupid prices.

What we need is to have some independent operators in the field to offer systems that offer a realistic price, one that the campsite and user can both afford.

£5 an hour is pure extortion.

Simply vote with your feet and go elsewhere - either to another campsite or stay where you are and use your own dongle. That's if your remote campsite has a mobile signal of reasonable strength.

Camporbust

Free Member
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
"However one point to note. Mobile broadband and other mobile phone based connections charge by the volume of data transmitted. Any laptop is likely to make all sorts of connections as soon as you connect to internet, for virus updates, windows updates, checking for new versions of all sorts of software. Not desireable when you are being charged by data volume. - especially overseas."

This is an important point, but quite easy to circumvent.
Most autoupdate stuff can be set to something like manual, auto, notify before download or notify before install.
I've set everything I can find to "notify before download" or manual update and it's probably saved a fortune.
Autoupdate culprits include Microsoft windows, antivirus / firewall, TomTom, 3G dongle, Logitech, Adobe, Openoffice.org, Java and laptop manufacturer.
There will be many others and it can take a while to weed them out. I keep an updated list so I can alter them later or do a manual update when home.

stelynn

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Funster No
As I am not a BT customer, I have been looking at Fon.

Link Removed

If I read the whole of their operation (outside the UK), it would seem that in the UK, BT has hijacked the principle and tied your excess broadband capacity to its own means. In other countries it would appear that joining the Fon network would allow you choices with regard to its use and the opportunity to get payment for other users using your broadband connection via Fon.

The Fon network in Europe is growing very quickly and buying their router will give you access to the Fon network, which may be worth a look for when on the continent, as obviously using a UK dongle is mega expensive.

Has anyone got one of these Fon routers (outside of a BT broadband contract), and if so, does it do what it says on the tin. ?

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back