sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
have got a 3 modem that works great in UK,,but will it workin france ? if not what do you all use please ?:Sad:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have an SFR mifi when I am in France, good coverage, but dont use it to watch TV eats bandwidth...

There are a lot of funsters who know a lot more than I...They will be along soon...

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
have got a 3 modem that works great in UK,,but will it workin france ? if not what do you all use please ?:Sad:

Do you really mean wifi, or do you mean mifi? If the 3 modem works on the 3 network then the answer is yes it will work, but it will cost you a fortune in data charges.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Do you really mean wifi, or do you mean mifi? If the 3 modem works on the 3 network then the answer is yes it will work, but it will cost you a fortune in data charges.

what is best to use ??? it works through 3 network and we just use for lap top....:Sad:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
get the modem or the mifi unlocked then you can choose a sim to suit the country you are visiting. that way it avoids massive bills for data roaming

just a point though, the old usb plug in dongle modems are very slow compared to using a mifi and another benefit is you can use it as a hotspot for multiple devices including laptops, phones and tablets. all can connect simultaneously just as you would at home

the best deals for european sims at the moment seem to be 3Euro per day paid only on days you use them

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
what is best to use ??? it works through 3 network and we just use for lap top....:Sad:

A EuropaSim - 3 Euros per day for 500Gb per day. And you only pay on the days you use it. Can be used all over Europe. www.motorhomewifi.com. Be quick, they only have a few left

chrissyvine

Free Member
Feb 15, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1992
Look for an Unlocked Mi-fi in the UK (believe Motorhome Wi-fi sell them). Not cheap, around £60/70 but you can then buy a sim in whichever country you are visiting, inclluding UK. I wish I'd known this before I came abroad as I bought a French Orange mi-fi and then a Spanish one and now, in Portugal I have a TMN dongle !!!:cry:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A EuropaSim - 3 Euros per day for 500Gb per day. And you only pay on the days you use it. Can be used all over Europe. www.motorhomewifi.com. Be quick, they only have a few left

Now that would be a good deal! ;) I'm sure you meant 500MB/day :thumb:

You can get your Three MiFi unlocked, but if you do make sure you know how to manually configure the APN settings since this will be required for foreign SIM's and the EuropaSIM if you consider it.

Three MiFi's usually carry branded firmware (the operating system) which can sometimes make this tricky. However once unlocked there is some info here that might help:
Link Removed

All the best,

Adam

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just got my europasim. It's working fine, in fact I'm using it now, even though I'm at home. The signal is only 1bar but the speed is good.:Smile:
Quite chuffed with my purchase. I only bought the sim as I already have an unlocked Huawei E5332.

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Huawei E5332 Unlocked Mobile Wi-Fi Modem from amazon and a Mobi-data sim which give Europe and world coverage see Broken Link Removed
Seems to work very well and can connect up to 8-10 devices, as the modem acts as a hotspot, so really great for laptop , kindle etc:Smile:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Huawei E5332 Unlocked Mobile Wi-Fi Modem from amazon and a Mobi-data sim which give Europe and world coverage see Broken Link Removed
Seems to work very well and can connect up to 8-10 devices, as the modem acts as a hotspot, so really great for laptop , kindle etc:Smile:

bought one the other day with europa sim,,,,80 odd quid for both,,,,it arrived on tuesday......:thumb:

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure I have got this right, but it seems that they charge 15p per Mb when you are abroad. Is that correct? If so it could turn out very expensive.

Also do they allow tethering on their SIMs please.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just got my europasim. It's working fine, in fact I'm using it now, even though I'm at home. The signal is only 1bar but the speed is good.:Smile:
Quite chuffed with my purchase. I only bought the sim as I already have an unlocked Huawei E5332.

Don't forget you can manually change mobile networks with the EuropaSIM. Simply turn off automatic connection (and make sure the E5332 is in a disconnected state) and then enable Manual Network selection. You can then connect to any network not listed as 'forbidden'. :thumb:

OP
OP
sean n maggie

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
Don't forget you can manually change mobile networks with the EuropaSIM. Simply turn off automatic connection (and make sure the E5332 is in a disconnected state) and then enable Manual Network selection. You can then connect to any network not listed as 'forbidden'. :thumb:

thanks,,,just got to get my sim registerd now then i will be up and running,,,just need to find out how to register it.....:Smile:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Find a local café/bar with free WiFi and use that.

That's what we did in Spain last year.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The advantage of the Huawei E5332 over some of the others is that it has an external aerial socket. I purchased a directional antenna for it from ebay for around a tenner which boosts the signal considerably if its a bit borderline.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

I have set mine up as per your instructions provided with the SIM, ie manual connection and APN set to mobile.vodafone.it.
I assume it will automatically use the strongest signal, so please what is the advantage of manually selecting the provider?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have set mine up as per your instructions provided with the SIM, ie manual connection and APN set to mobile.vodafone.it.
I assume it will automatically use the strongest signal, so please what is the advantage of manually selecting the provider?

You might find one signal is stronger, but another has better backhaul and gives you a much better service in a particular location. How many times on your phone have you got full bars, but don't seem to be able to squeeze any bytes down the line?

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Not sure I have got this right, but it seems that they charge 15p per Mb when you are abroad. Is that correct? If so it could turn out very expensive.

Also do they allow tethering on their SIMs please.

The modem with the data-sim in it acts as a personal hotspot and you can connect up to 10 wireless devices( laptops , kindle etc)
Interestingly I found this

Broken Link Removed

which makes interesting reading especially as they are supposed to be capping roaming charges in Europe in July.
In answer to your other 15p question you will find these comparison pages helpful

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Anyway I hope this is useful.:Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i think its dec 2015

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
although they will abolish roaming charges i bet there is a cap on the amount used and it will be a small amount

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
End of Roamin charges

In February 2012, the ITRE committee of the European Parliament voted for lower (and longer) retail ceilings, backing a structural solution, for which the technical details should set by the BEREC. Finally, in March 2012, a compromise was agreed between the EU Commission, Parliamnent and Council, with lower retail ceilings than originally proposed by the Commission. The final vote in the EU Parliament took place May 10. BEREC is to organise the technical details (multi IMSI ?) of the structural solution (separation of service providers for domestic and roaming services) by the end of 2012, in order to be implemented on a compulsory basis in the EU in July 2014.

On 3 April 2014, MEPs voted by 534 votes to 25, to end roaming fees within the European Union from 15 December 2015.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
On 3 April 2014, MEPs voted by 534 votes to 25, to end roaming fees within the European Union from 15 December 2015.
Great news, but no doubt we'll be stung in some other way by the providers. :Sad:

Regards,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back