Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I don't understand this solar lark.
On my van there is a panel on the roof. In a hab cupboard there is a switch for the panel to divert the charge from either engine or leisure battery (i'm told).
When i left the van Xmas day i made sure the switch was on engine battery.
Came back 4 months ish later engine battery flat as a pancake.
What am i not understanding?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Is that switch for the solar or from which battery your 12 volt systems will be supplied from as is the case for a similar switch of ours.
If the later then anything 12 volt running the background would have drained your starter battery.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Unfortunately it's not uncommon that Autotrail mis label the two way switch so you are charging the hab when you think you are doing engine, or vice versa.

Over the midst of winter, the charge from solar will have been very low. There is an ongoing drain on the engine battery for alarm systems, trackers. Not much, but it can be enough. Solar may, just, not keep pace. My system now trickle charges the engine from the leisure using a battery master device (works off a voltage difference), with the leisure topped up by 100W solar. Over winter that 120Ah leisure used over 80% of available charge, before eventually recovering

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Do you still have the Imala,
Some Imalas (like mine) were wired wrong at the factor so leisure is engine and engine is leisure.

turn your sticker upside down ::bigsmile:

You can soon tell by sticking a volt meter across the leisure under the bench and flick to one or tother on the little switch under your PSU when suns shining

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Thanks.
The solar panel was supplied and fitted at Don Amott. They wouldn't wire incorrectly..................would they?
Need to find someone with one of those meter things you talk about. And switch the switch upside down:unsure:

Still got the Imala. New van supposed to be delivered end June.......we will see.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks.
The solar panel was supplied and fitted at Don Amott. They wouldn't wire incorrectly..................would they?
Need to find someone with one of those meter things you talk about. And switch the switch upside down:unsure:

Still got the Imala. New van supposed to be delivered end June.......we will see.
You can buy “one of those meter things” at Halfords or off eBay. I’m sure you can afford it,if not we could have a whip round!;):LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Or you could flick the control panel on above the door, then see when the leisure says "charging"

OP
OP
bobnick
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
You can buy “one of those meter things” at Halfords or off eBay. I’m sure you can afford it,if not we could have a whip round!;):LOL:
If you did have the whip round could i take the money and i will promise to buy "one of those meter things". Where on earth (no pun intended) i would stick the end/s is beyond me. :unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back