LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Why do Brits have to take books and not exchange them?

Two years ago I set up three shelves of books in English at the camperstop. Today there is less than one shelf, despite a notice asking people to take one and leave one! I can't replace them as I now only read a Kindle so eventually there won't be a library.

On the other hand we have over one shelf of books in (I think) Dutch and/or German and a handful in French!!!! This shelf started from nil!

And another thing ...

Why can't people pick up after their dogs? We have notices asking for this but we regularly have to pick up deposits inside the camperstop area, but the main problem is that people think that the private access road doesn't matter. We have picked up over a supermarket carrier bag full during the winter season. That's not our job!

What's the answer, ban people with dogs?

Well, I feel better now, rant over.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

Two years ago I set up three shelves of books in English at the camperstop. Today there is less than one shelf, despite a notice asking people to take one and leave one! I can't replace them as I now only read a Kindle so eventually there won't be a library.

On the other hand we have over one shelf of books in (I think) Dutch and/or German and a handful in French!!!! This shelf started from nil!

And another thing ...

Why can't people pick up after their dogs? We have notices asking for this but we regularly have to pick up deposits inside the camperstop area, but the main problem is that people think that the private access road doesn't matter. We have picked up over a supermarket carrier bag full during the winter season. That's not our job!

Is it possible that people are taking books in English and leaving books in other languages?

The dog thing is awful. I vote you shoot the owners.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Still books on the shelves after 2 years? I would think that's a positive.
I did a car boot sale a few months ago and 7 books went missing ( not paid for) within a couple of hours!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, we noticed the dog muck on the approach road, when we visited in Feb. Not nice!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Books and dvds .... agree entirely ... given up lending them as they never returned .... human race has some notsohonourable members.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Is it possible that people are taking books in English and leaving books in other languages.

A Dutch lady we met in France a couple of years ago on the next pitch brought over a couple of potboilers in English she'd just finished reading and offered them to us, so you could have a point.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Perhaps the dogs are reading the books, and the only way they can register their disappointment in the plot/ending/lack of empathy with the characters etc. in a way that a human being would understand is to do a poo. Knowing this is wrong, they then eat the book to hide their shame, hence the lack of bibliographic hardware on the shelves. That's what I think anyway.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Perhaps the dogs are reading the books, and the only way they can register their disappointment in the plot/ending/lack of empathy with the characters etc. in a way that a human being would understand is to do a poo. Knowing this is wrong, they then eat the book to hide their shame, hence the lack of bibliographic hardware on the shelves. That's what I think anyway.

What are you on :LOL:?

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Just been talking to chap managing the cc&c site here in Beadnell Northumberland and a family in a tent have used the hedge behind as their toilet. He was retching cleaning it all up. And a beautiful toilet block close by, lazy buggers. People !!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

And another thing ...

Why blame the Brits? From the info, I would guess that it is the Dutch, French & Germans swapping books and leaving theirs behind as a swap. I'm not surprised though - have you tried reading in Dutch? Bloody difficult. No wonder they leave them behind and take ones in English.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
What are you on :LOL:?
Sat in the van on an aire in Carnac bored stiff. Pouring rain and cold, the only fun is watching the French camping caristes lying in wait for any users of the bourne filling up with water, so they can steal whatever's left after their tanks are full. One guy has jerry cans lined up to catch the dribblings, and would rather wait for hours getting a bit at a time than pay his 2 euros for his own 60 litres. Hilarious, but my mind still wanders.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
[QUOTE="I'm not surprised though - have you tried reading in Dutch? [/QUOTE]

Yes:)

Mel

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Why blame the Brits? From the info, I would guess that it is the Dutch, French & Germans swapping books and leaving theirs behind as a swap. I'm not surprised though - have you tried reading in Dutch? Bloody difficult. No wonder they leave them behind and take ones in English.

OK maybe I was being presumptive in blaming the Brits for taking the books, but whoever it is has still taken more than they've left :(.

And as for the dog owners don't know the nationality of the worst culprits!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
OK maybe I was being presumptive in blaming the Brits for taking the books, but whoever it is has still taken more than they've left :(.

And as for the dog owners don't know the nationality of the worst culprits!

Would this sh*t guide help?

English sh*t:

French sh*t:

SDC10442.JPG

Dutch sh*t:

pooflag1.jpg

My sh*t:

American sh*t:

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
One thing that puzzled us in Cusco was that there were dogs roaming everywhere a!one but in three visits around the city we didn't see any doggy deposits! Can we learn something from the Peruvians?

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
We are are dog owners, and we keep her on a lead and clean up after her, as most responsible dog owners do (the word responsible is the clue)(y)

I've met a lot of these so called responsible owners and I'll hasten to add not all but many don't clean up after there dogs.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I find the Brits pretty good at cleaning up their dog muck compared with the French, Italians or Spanish!

I wouldn't say that's the case around my village .... But then again there's not many French or Spanish here either ....:cautious:

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If you walk along the canal on the rough track there are piles of excrement near to the houses which have "guard" dogs in their compounds. I guess they just let the dogs out to do their business each day on the track. As dog owners we always pick up her deposits, or alternatively, where we're in a wild area we "stick and flick".
But like others, I just can't understand the mentality of bagging the poo and then leaving the bag, even in remote areas, miles from a road or house. At least the poo will disappear but the bag will take years to break down.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
By the way, our wee terrier likes reading poetry, but most of it's just doggerel;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back