Why you should use Mick at SAP (1 Viewer)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Sorry, bit of a long story. We had our Elara based on RWD Mercedes panel van in to Mick this week to get the full VB air suspension fitted to the rear, unfortunately Mercedes don’t allow change to the front suspension. It had been measured up when we had it in for the EP levellers and Mick had mentioned that everything was a bit tight underneath, there is a rear wheel on a carrier, the 40 litre gas tank and the levellers. We had waited 3 months for the kit to arrive from Germany due to supply chain issues, but I dropped the van off on Monday and caught the train to London to go to work.

On Wednesday I got a call from Mick at 8am, so knew it wasn’t going to be good news. VB had changed the Mercedes kit, especially the chassis mounts, and there wasn’t enough room for the VB, the spare wheel and the gas tank. What did we want to do? Options were to remove the spare wheel and carrier, fill the tyres with puncture proof gunk and carry a tyre? Or swap our 40 litre gas tank for a smaller one? Or put a rear wheel carrier on the rear doors? Mick knew I didn’t really fancy any of the options so he told me to think it over for a couple of hours and he would try and work out a solution, he has never been defeated yet!

So, called back, resigned to loosing my spare wheel. However Mick had come up with a solution. They would re- engineer my spare wheel carrier, fabricate new mounts for it, move the gas tank ( which involved fixing an installation error by Wildax), fit new piping, regulator, mounting brackets (which they made) and that would leave just enough space!

Picked it up today, everything is fabulous, the guys who did the work said they enjoyed the challenge but please not everyday! Mick charged me a very reasonable sum for the extra work, don’t think it covered his own sweat and tears on working out a solution.

Oh, and the VB suspension is superb, smooth ride, less movement on motorway, completely level despite the rear heavy nature of the Elara, so now I can get on with getting it replated.

So, moral of my story, when you go to get VB or Ep fitted, go to an Engineer not a fitter to do it, anywhere else I’d have been told it didn’t fit or it was my problem, Top Man Mick!!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Jim , how do I copy this to the review section to save me having to retype everything? Any help gratefully received!
Go into the review section press new review, then go into your post here, highlight the whole post, press control and C then go into the new review page you have opened and put the cursor where you want it then press control and V

it will copy it straight over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
We have a 120litre water tank above the back axle, combined with the spare wheel and gas tank plus 2 electric bromptons in the boot, I really had a saggy rear end!

Deleted User
Nice to hear, due to have VB full air fitted at SAP once kit arrives to our Sprinter.
Thankfully spare tyre is fitted to a rear door carrier.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
He's a top bloke Mick, he'll engineer a solution even if it means a lot of extra work, when i had levellers fitted they couldn't put them in the usual place at the rear, as i had lockers in the way, so they made up brackets to fit an alternative location and still held to the quoted price.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
well thanks for the advice and others have highly recommended this chap.

Not my experience though.

I have sent two emails and contact via the website and they can't even be bothered to reply. I hate it when companies do this. Why not just respond and say we are too busy? I'm only wanting to book a service and clearly this type of work is beneath them.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

I have sent two emails and contact via the website and they can't even be bothered to reply. I hate it when companies do this. Why not just respond and say we are too busy? I'm only wanting to book a service and clearly this type of work is beneath them.
I was there last week, the guy that mans the office has moved on i believe, so there may be some issues with communication until he is replaced, they have done several smaller jobs for me so i don't think that it's a case of considering some jobs to be to small or beneath them.

Reactions: DJT
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ty out and about caravan and motorhome services at Langtoft near Peterborough e&p servicexand installation

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
We’ve used Mick to fit E&P levellers to our last two Motorhomes, the most recent being 2weeks ago. In our opinion Mick is an excellent engineer, providing great service. Mick will be the first to admit he prefers the engineering to the admin side of the business. Rick, who used to front the office side, answering enquiries, etc., has recently left to start a new career. As a result, SAP are temporarily a man down. Mick told me the new sales guy and a general manager start in the next few weeks, so I’m sure this will make a big difference. In our experience, the temporary hiccup in the office hasn’t adversely affected the quality of the job and service they deliver.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

that may be because the chap who did all the office work left to seek a different work route

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008

Just give them a call Mick doesn’t do emails 👍

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Another vote for Mick and team, they are not fitters they are engineers. Done a lot of work for me over the years and have never let me down. Fitted my last leveling system when E&P main office in Amsterdam said it was not possible after inspecting the motorhome. Called Mick and explained the situation. His reply was "never not been able to fit a kit yet" and he never let me down...top bloke.
Even had the pleasure of meeting the OP last time we were there :)

Jul 9, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mick fitted my E&P system and my VB air suspension am away back to him in December to get lithium batteries fitted.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Mick had my waste water tank reduced in size to fit the air and levelling.
Like mentioned earlier he offers more than just a fitting service.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
We have a 120litre water tank above the back axle, combined with the spare wheel and gas tank plus 2 electric bromptons in the boot, I really had a saggy rear end!
I know the feeling of having a saggy rear end, but I think Mick would find the challenge of fixing mine a step too far.:giggle:

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Six years ago I had vb full air fitted, the grey plastic waste tank was in the way a bit , so he cut a chunk off and welded the plastic back together . Everything still works as it should, I keep thinking that I ought to go back and have it checked over sometime . Top bloke

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I know the feeling of having a saggy rear end, but I think Mick would find the challenge of fixing mine a step too far.:giggle:
im sure he would be happy to take a look and give you an estimate

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
you could always trade in for a younger model with firmer ...................................OK lets not go there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back