Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I would expect with any service the whole vehicle checked including state & condition of chassis ,pads, shoes, all bushes, suspension, lights, dash ,etc ;etc, everything.Otherwise what am I paying for?
I just expect an oil change!! Perhaps anew air filter? Cannot remember changing a duel filter....

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would expect with any service the whole vehicle checked including state & condition of chassis ,pads, shoes, all bushes, suspension, lights, dash ,etc ;etc, everything.Otherwise what am I paying for?
I think that people have very high expectations but want to pay very little for it. Best have a written list of what is and is not included, no disappointment later then

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If the oil and oil filter is just changed the vehicle has had an oil change, it hasn't been serviced. If it has oil, oil filter, air filter that’s possibly an engine service. But a Service, is a service of the vehicle not just the engine.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It is the honest advice you were given, contrary to some people's thinking most Garages are honest and want to give good service for a fair price

How interesting, nearly 22hrs after you added your statement, not one person has 'liked' it. Perhaps they are like me, I trust the one I use (mainly because they allow me to participate which is rare these days) BUT it took some finding and it's not just in the M/H world.

Despite, being qualified, when I started my trucking company back in the 70's, I HAD (according to Operator licence rules, because I didn't have a suitable pit or lifts) to have 6 weekly safety checks done at a Volvo main truck establishment, at great expense and inconvenience.

Shortly after starting this practice, when I arrived early one day to pick up my vehicle, I wandered around the back (much against the workshop rules) and, through the open workshop doors, I saw a VERY young, UNsupervised, man checking my brakes on my artic tractor unit.

I entered, only to be confronted by, what turned out to be the workshop foreman, who was more concerned, that I was in his workshop, than that a teenager was responsible for the brakes of a vehicle that would be pulling 32tons around crowded roads near London on the morrow.
Being fairly big and strong, AND despite threats of them calling the police, I checked my own brakes while on the lift, paid the invoice and NEVER returned.
I used a friendly coach operators facilities after that which is how I got into running coaches but that's another story!

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
If the oil and oil filter is just changed the vehicle has had an oil change, it hasn't been serviced. If it has oil, oil filter, air filter that’s possibly an engine service. But a Service, is a service of the vehicle not just the engine.

Although I do my own, from what I've seen, it all depends on what is on the vehicle AND model schedule, a 15000 mile service appears to be completely different from a 30000 mile service. I may be wrong?

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
MOT fail, a service part, but chargeable as a consumable
Same for me. From a reliable garage. Just pay for the parts and no retest charge. No problems. Its probably inefficient to service, then MOT test only to find out some thing is wrong on the test that is not included in the standard service.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Same for me. From a reliable garage. Just pay for the parts and no retest charge. No problems. Its probably inefficient to service, then MOT test only to find out some thing is wrong on the test that is not included in the standard service.
But what is in the test that isn’t in a proper service?

I would be really really unhappy to go from a service to MOT station where it then failed. A service is to make the car safe for the raid, and to look after the car. An MOT is a test to prove your car is safe.

This is probably why I do all my own servicing and have never had an MOT fail.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Is there any legal written down what a service should be ? Or what should be done or is it just open to interpretation of how someone sees it

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
My understanding is that a service schedule and actions is determined by the manufacturer and that the garages conform to it. ( However, to contradict my statement, my garage always washes my car before returning it, and I'm sure that isn't on the manufactures schedule. )

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Would an independent be covered by the manufacturer service schedule or is it like guarantee if it’s not done by a main dealer all bets are off.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
How interesting, nearly 22hrs after you added your statement, not one person has 'liked' it. Perhaps they are like me, I trust the one I use (mainly because they allow me to participate which is rare these days) BUT it took some finding and it's not just in the M/H world.

Despite, being qualified, when I started my trucking company back in the 70's, I HAD (according to Operator licence rules, because I didn't have a suitable pit or lifts) to have 6 weekly safety checks done at a Volvo main truck establishment, at great expense and inconvenience.

Shortly after starting this practice, when I arrived early one day to pick up my vehicle, I wandered around the back (much against the workshop rules) and, through the open workshop doors, I saw a VERY young, UNsupervised, man checking my brakes on my artic tractor unit.

I entered, only to be confronted by, what turned out to be the workshop foreman, who was more concerned, that I was in his workshop, than that a teenager was responsible for the brakes of a vehicle that would be pulling 32tons around crowded roads near London on the morrow.
Being fairly big and strong, AND despite threats of them calling the police, I checked my own brakes while on the lift, paid the invoice and NEVER returned.
I used a friendly coach operators facilities after that which is how I got into running coaches but that's another story!
I'll just say this when you are many away from home with your Motorhome, and have a problem, you will be glad to have a garage unknown to you to help you out , tarring nearly all Garages from some of your bad experiences is not good, in fact I don't repair my vehicle now myself and depending on what I require I use a few garages, a lot of people think they are going to be ripped off going to garage why ? is it because they think they know all about vehicles or is it Pub talk ? Also I have been a Foreman in a Retail garage supervising 17 people, 13 apprentices, 4 skilled 2 of which were vehicle Testers, it left 2 skilled repairing and servicing , properly supervised, and procedures in place we had very few problems , and no safety related problems in the 7 years I was in charge.
Another thing as an example you have your TV repaired and the picture comes on you are charged say £120, would you question it ? I doubt it, but, they might have put a 20 pence part in it but your TV works.
Funny old world.

NicM

Free Member
Oct 6, 2021
UK
Funster No
MH
Old Hymer
Exp
You should have a service book with your car/van that tells you what service is due then stamped by the garage.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have been a Foreman in a Retail garage supervising 17 people, 13 apprentices, 4 skilled 2 of which were vehicle Testers, it left 2 skilled repairing and servicing , properly supervised, and procedures in place we had very few problems , and no safety related problems in the 7 years I was in charge.
Another thing as an example you have your TV repaired and the picture comes on you are charged say £120, would you question it ? I doubt it, but, they might have put a 20 pence part in it but your TV works.
Why did it come as no surprise that you were involved with the garage trade and to clarify, I hope I did not tar ALL garages with the same brush' because there are MANY out there, finding one, if your not qualified (I am in heavy diesels but moved to another part of the country) is the hard part.

For the last 40yrs of my working life, I was as an owner/operator of a bus, truck and coach companies, so I KNOW just how much, UNFOUNDED, criticism hurts (especially from the bus side of the operation).

With regard to the TV repair, TV is not important to me AND as I have a Godson who is one of the top, Military/Ministry trained electricians in Britain, ...so, possibly, a bad example....but I know that I would be gladly be paying the £120 for their TIME and EXPERIENCE. (In practical term, IF my Godson couldn't fix it, I would HAVE to buy another to replace the 18yr old model that I currently have) and the 20p part means nothing!

PS. 13 apprentices to 4 skilled fitters, (2 of which were on the road testing much of the time) seems to me (who was never involved with apprenticeships) seems a very high apprentice to skilled supervisor (7-1) number?
So, was most of the work, which your company was charging FULL skilled mechanic rates for, done by apprentices??

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Why did it come as no surprise that you were involved with the garage trade and to clarify, I hope I did not tar ALL garages with the same brush' because there are MANY out there, finding one, if your not qualified (I am in heavy diesels but moved to another part of the country) is the hard part.

For the last 40yrs of my working life, I was as an owner/operator of a bus, truck and coach companies, so I KNOW just how much, UNFOUNDED, criticism hurts (especially from the bus side of the operation).

With regard to the TV repair, TV is not important to me AND as I have a Godson who is one of the top, Military/Ministry trained electricians in Britain, ...so, possibly, a bad example....but I know that I would be gladly be paying the £120 for their TIME and EXPERIENCE. (In practical term, IF my Godson couldn't fix it, I would HAVE to buy another to replace the 18yr old model that I currently have) and the 20p part means nothing!

PS. 13 apprentices to 4 skilled fitters, (2 of which were on the road testing much of the time) seems to me (who was never involved with apprenticeships) seems a very high apprentice to skilled supervisor (7-1) number?
So, was most of the work, which your company was charging FULL skilled mechanic rates for, done by apprentices??
your it was not my company, it was a Ipswich Coop garage in the late 1970's, and they did run as I stated a very high amount of apprentices, at that time they had 5 garages in Ipswich, hardest job I ever did , you are right on one thing they did charge skilled rate for apprentices ,but they were not expected to earn 8hours until they were 18 . I can assure you their tried and tested systems were like something I had never met before , but , in saying that I enjoyed training and seeing these youngsters progressing .Several years ago they sold garages and consentrated on food and home appliances etc.Here endith my truth update .
C&G Technicians , MIMI, IRTE, Ex. Holder of " Operates Licence" ( Retired !! ) I know a little about tha Motor trade , but I don't know everything .
The End

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back