Why would garage do that? (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Booked van in for a service & mot.
Told them the expiry date and they suggested a date 2 weeks prior and insisted it arrive between 830-9am on the Thursday.
Got there on time and left it with them.
Phoned later that day, only to find that they’d not started work on it and would need it the following day. (Friday)
Advised them that I couldn’t collect until Monday. Thats ok.
Called Monday at 9am to be told it’s on the ramp.
Called again at 5pm and advised they’d call me back. They didn’t, so I called again at 6pm only to be told that my van was on their ramp.
Received a text this morning to advise my van was ready.
Upon collection, the MOT certificate was dated as being tested on Friday.
So why couldn’t I collect it on Monday?

I’m waiting for them to call me back.

If you book your vehicle in for a service and MOT, surely the garage would carry out a service before an MOT?

As for a service or MOT, I would have expected that a split window wiper blade would need replacing?
It hasn’t been.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There was a thread on here recently about service and MOT.
Apparently the usual practice is to MOT first then, if it fails, do the necessary work within the service and re MOT.

Richard.
yes that is to cover them as if they serviced it first then mot'd & it failed on anyting serviceable, it would be down to them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Booked van in for a service & mot.
Told them the expiry date and they suggested a date 2 weeks prior and insisted it arrive between 830-9am on the Thursday.
Got there on time and left it with them.
Phoned later that day, only to find that they’d not started work on it and would need it the following day. (Friday)
Advised them that I couldn’t collect until Monday. Thats ok.
Called Monday at 9am to be told it’s on the ramp.
Called again at 5pm and advised they’d call me back. They didn’t, so I called again at 6pm only to be told that my van was on their ramp.
Received a text this morning to advise my van was ready.
Upon collection, the MOT certificate was dated as being tested on Friday.
So why couldn’t I collect it on Monday?

I’m waiting for them to call me back.

If you book your vehicle in for a service and MOT, surely the garage would carry out a service before an MOT?

As for a service or MOT, I would have expected that a split window wiper blade would need replacing?
It hasn’t been.
If it wasn't out for a fortnight it should run from then

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It should automatically run from the expiry date if it is tested any time within a month prior to the expiry
Would you like to explain that?
If a vehicle is tested within a month of the expiry of a Certificate, the new Certificate starts on the date it is tested until the first anniversary of the date of the expiry of the extant Certificate.

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
On the other hand. If you mot before your anniversary date and it fails, then the vehicle cannot be used until the mot is passed. Even though you still had x amount of time left on your current mot.
If you know what I mean 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2019
Rochester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbie but not a virgin
The MOT is a safety inspection and without doubt saves lives. Many motorists dont check tyres or lights or even screen wash regularly. It is a test 'as presented' meaning at that particular time it is inspected as safe/dangerous etc, a period of time later eg 6 months later the vehicle may become unsafe even though the certificate is for 12months. If it is tested within the month prior to expiry and fails as pointed out by Colino, surely any motorist should consider Prioritizing 'safety' of themselves and other road users against a certificate expiry date.
My policy is to MOT first and then carry out any service requirements. Primarily as unexpected, possibly very expensive, MOT repairs become the priority to get the vehicle safely back on the road and a Service can be rebooked if Customer needs dictate, eg finances or 'needs it to get to work'.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’m the other way, and it is also this way it was done when I was in the trade. I service a vehicle then present It for MOT. It should not fail if the service has been done properly.

I think garages MOT first then just do the basic oil and filters, but nothing more, relying on the MOT to have given them the ok on other stuff, such as condition of brakes, but to me the only way to check brakes is by removing the wheel. May be that’s just old fashioned now, but pads don’t always wear evenly.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I book mine in for mot and service it's up to them to do it in whatever order they want.

So long as it comes back MOT and serviced I'm fine with that.

If it didn't pass they have my acceptance to fix it. They tend to ring for most stuff.

I wouldn't want to drive it with a mot failure outstanding.

Cheers James

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I book mine in for mot and service it's up to them to do it in whatever order they want.

So long as it comes back MOT and serviced I'm fine with that.

If it didn't pass they have my acceptance to fix it. They tend to ring for most stuff.

I wouldn't want to drive it with a mot failure outstanding.

Cheers James
But are you happy that because the vehicle passed the MOT that the brakes are in ok condition and don’t need checking?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
MOT first as not always a service item that fails
Rot etc.
Customer may not deem at viable cost wise to repair for MOT so service would be wasted cash.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
MOT first as not always a service item that fails
Rot etc.
Customer may not deem at viable cost wise to repair for MOT so service would be wasted cash.

Whilst your example is valid ie. rot, in these days of transparency when everyone can see the History of an MOT
it would do no good for owners if potential buyers to know that a vehicle has failed, then passed an MOT.

What it doesn't show is that the vehicle was Serviced at the same time.

Yes, you would have an Invoice? but potential buyers would be put off.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
On the other hand. If you mot before your anniversary date and it fails, then the vehicle cannot be used until the mot is passed. Even though you still had x amount of time left on your current mot.
If you know what I mean 🤔
As I do most of my own repairs, I have mine mot CHECKED about a month before (basically an mot without it being registered, the cost is the same) and this gives me time to fix anything I missed.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I recently took mine to Northern Commercial, who are supposed to be both Fiat and Ivico dealers. Never again. They asked if I could leave it for the MOT, I said no, I’ll book a time and wait. On the day and time of the test, I arrived to be told that they have no knowledge of my booking or an MOT. When the guy behind the desk asked who took the booking, I told him he did and had written all my details down on a piece of card, along with phone and address etc.

When it eventually came to my booking time, no one came to see me and nor did they meet the booking time. When eventually someone did turn up to collect the keys, I had left very simple instruction on how to open the van-it was press the large button, that’s it. A very young and very spotty chap then couldn’t turn the alarm off, couldn’t open the bonnet, but kept on trying to use the steering column high adjuster and eventually popped it over a pit. It failed.

On enquiring as to why it failed, the young chap said emissions and hand brake. I took the handbrake details on the chin, but then found out he hadn’t even tested the emissions, as he stated the exhaust tailpipe looked wet!!!

I also noted that another 2 customers arrived, one with a lovely PVC for a 2 yearly service, and again, no mate, we have no knowledge of you coming in. The chap had brought his road bike and was stood in his Lycra ready to ride home. After a few short words, they kept the van and hopefully he got it all done. The other customer was dropping off another vehicle and exactly the same happened, sorry mate, did you book in, yes a week ago etc.

So I sorted and adjusted the handbrake, could not do a lot for emissions (had a full service just before the MOT, so I knew the air filter etc was spot on). Funnily enough, it passed on reshow.

I also popped out on the reshow and watched from a distance while the same young guy failed to open the bonnet again 🤷🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ and as to the state of the workshop floor and elf and safety, it’s an accident waiting to happen.

If this is the rubbish service offered by such a large company, then gould elp us. Shall not be going back there again.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
The MOT certificate issued does run in line with the expiry date of the current certificate, so in theory, I have 1 year and 2 weeks.
What was baffling was them asking for it at 830am on a Thursday, doing the MOT on the Friday and then the service on the Tuesday.
Seems a bit arse about T to me.
The oil was nice and clean when I dipped it after dropping it back at storage, so at least I know that they changed that.
The split wiper - I’m not too fussed because I can change this probably cheaper than what they’d have charged me, but was just a bit surprised it wasn’t picked up on during the test or service.
I’m still waiting for the bill. First time a garage has ever said we’ll email you the bill when I told them that I had not paid yet.

As for Northern Commercials - PP Bear , the garage that I normally take my van to is just down the road from their Brighouse garage. The owner used to tell me that he used to get a lot of Motorhomes from them that they couldn’t fix.
He was an independent and they were a main dealer.
Speaks volumes.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
But are you happy that because the vehicle passed the MOT that the brakes are in ok condition and don’t need checking?
Yes because the mot and the garage check the brakes as a obvious MOT check....

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
The MOT certificate issued does run in line with the expiry date of the current certificate, so in theory, I have 1 year and 2 weeks.
What was baffling was them asking for it at 830am on a Thursday, doing the MOT on the Friday and then the service on the Tuesday.
Seems a bit arse about T to me.
The oil was nice and clean when I dipped it after dropping it back at storage, so at least I know that they changed that.
The split wiper - I’m not too fussed because I can change this probably cheaper than what they’d have charged me, but was just a bit surprised it wasn’t picked up on during the test or service.
I’m still waiting for the bill. First time a garage has ever said we’ll email you the bill when I told them that I had not paid yet.

As for Northern Commercials - PP Bear , the garage that I normally take my van to is just down the road from their Brighouse garage. The owner used to tell me that he used to get a lot of Motorhomes from them that they couldn’t fix.
He was an independent and they were a main dealer.
Speaks volumes.
Read lazy, busy or techs don't know how to fix!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes because the mot and the garage check the brakes as a obvious MOT check....
But they don’t, if it can be seen then ok, but if it can’t be seen they can’t do anything to see them. Its doubtful that they will be able to see all 8 pads. Possibly 4, but doubt all, and they have know idea what state you handbrake shoes are, how much dust is in there, so for me it’s not a check of their status, it just tells you that they are currently working.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Don't Service first ,why? Perhaps it's has a major fault such as chassis rusted away around suspension, the vehicle may be uneconomical to repair, would a Customer want to pay for a Service when the vehicle is a ' Right off '.
As said a 'Mot Pass' is saying that the vehicle is classed as safe at that time , as soon as you remove it from a Mot Station who knows what you may do with it, you could run. over glass !!

Sep 19, 2016
romford
Funster No
MH
rollerteam 259p
Exp
owned vw in 90's just purchased rollerteam
I did ask the bloke who has been doing my mot,service on my cars for years. a couple of weeks ago, he states that the advice given to garages is to MOT then service. The service should pick up faults not found during MOT. I would have thought the other way round, but in truth what do I know.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I did ask the bloke who has been doing my mot,service on my cars. A couple of weeks ago he states that the advice given to garages is to MOT then service. The service should pick up faults not found during MOT. I would have thought the other way round, but in truth what do I know.
It is the honest advice you were given, contrary to some people's thinking most Garages are honest and want to give good service for a fair price

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My policy is to MOT first and then carry out any service requirements. Primarily as unexpected, possibly very expensive, MOT repairs become the priority to get the vehicle safely back on the road and a Service can be rebooked if Customer needs dictate, eg finances or 'needs it to get to work'.

Don't Service first ,why? Perhaps it's has a major fault such as chassis rusted away around suspension, the vehicle may be uneconomical to repair, would a Customer want to pay for a Service when the vehicle is a ' Right off '.
As said a 'Mot Pass' is saying that the vehicle is classed as safe at that time , as soon as you remove it from a Mot Station who knows what you may do with it, you could run. over glass !!
I would expect with any service the whole vehicle checked including state & condition of chassis ,pads, shoes, all bushes, suspension, lights, dash ,etc ;etc, everything.Otherwise what am I paying for?

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Is a 1st MOT on a MH at 3 years same as a car??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back