Why the love of the Fiat Ducato? (1 Viewer)

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
As a newbie to the site, I'm interested in why the majority of motorhome manufacturers go for the Fiat Ducato.
If I was going to buy a car, no disrespect to fiat car owners, a Fiat would be would be way down on my list. ( I do like the look of the little 500 though!)
The fiat Ducato dosen't even come in the top 10 of vans sales in the UK.
In Europe, its sister company IVECO, gets to No4 for truck sales in Europe.
The companies who make comparable chassis, The Transit van is the most popular van in the uk, followed by Mercedes, Volkswagen, Renault then Peugeot.
What is it, that makes the Fiat Ducato an ideal motorhome van, but according the vast majority of businesses in Europe who buy vans, no good for them?

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
And we also like to have a kip safe in the knowledge that some little old lady isn't going to wake us up first thing in the morning and demand we renew her loan copy of 50 Shades of Grey, whip out her jubblies
Nice dream last night?:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Is that why they have to put at least two headlights on each side because they can't focus the beams properly?

Got LED replacements in my 6 month old Ducato, bloody useless

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
From the outside looking at the front, sure. From the inside looking out, bloody useless

LED daytime lights look good, and are functional. Headlight adaptors are not very good yet. Friend of mine's son put in light blue ones on his PVC for a bit of bling and just got a formal caution by traffic plod. He was quoted MOT regulation 5b: "[the tester may reject the vehicle if] an obligatory headlamp shows light that is not substantially white or yellow”.

Upvote 0

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
As you say, designed for practicality, more a caravan on wheels than a delivery truck with curtains . If I were planning to be static for more than a few days at a time, then I would love an A class, albeit they all appear much the same to me if I am honest. (Just what is it with those piggy eye headlights?)

But we mostly tour, generally between London and Lisbon, and we like to explore tiny villages (width restrictions, narrow, winding, hilly roads, etc) on our travels. We want to enjoy the country and get to know the people that live in it, not spend our time surrounded by stoned Dutch campers mooching around on a bland campsite or other tourists of any nationality just because our size and lack of manoeuvrability left us few other options

And we also like to have a kip safe in the knowledge that some little old lady isn't going to wake us up first thing in the morning and demand we renew her loan copy of 50 Shades of Grey, whip out her jubblies and demand a mammogram or complain that we're not wheelchair accessible and when's the next bus coming.
Well having gone from a coach-built to an a class, library van for us!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Is that why they have to put at least two headlights on each side because they can't focus the beams properly?

Got LED replacements in my 6 month old Ducato, bloody useless
T
That's progress! at least they don't take an age to warm up like some of my energy efficient bulbs at home.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks Mercianman,
Just read that. It seems that a lot of them don't use this special chassis and a lot use the AL-Ko chassis.
So why not use say the Volkswagen crafter with the AL-KO chassis, or Transit etc etc.
COST,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Also there are Peugeot and Citroen base vehicles but Fiat make a big thing about making their chassis cabs SPECIFICALLY for the motorhome market and spec them quite well as a standard cab but offer the upgrade as well.
Also they advertise the fact that their Fiat Professional workshops are very plentiful all over Europe and are very used to dealing with motorhome customers. They even do a motorhome specific warranty that's better than the standard van warranty.
Although Ford make a good base vehicle ( but easily stolen), their dealers are poor when compared with other brands.
Mercedes are expensive to start with (and look after) and unlike their cars or the Fiat are not easy to get them looking plush. To me they always look exactly like the van they started as. The Transit is not so bad as they do some very high spec vans anyway.

Peugeot and Citroen virtually the same van manufactured in the same factory in Italy,,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Fiat have always built fantastic engines. Look as far back as the twin cam they put in the old 124 and mirafiori cars. Even the Ritmo had great engines, (body was terrible for rust though).
Iveco build some of the best diesel engines. Equal in quality and long service to anything built by Cummins or the German manufacturers.
Thought Ford had produced the engines for Fiat Citroen and Peugeot since 2007,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
It seems that Fiat are ditching the 3.0l engine for Euro 6 and not using ad-blue like the majority of other manufacturers including Ford, Mercedes, Peugeot, Volkswagen and Citroen.

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
<------- 1991.
Bought in 2009.
Passed mot every year, no advisories.
Two replacement parts due to wear/breakage: recon alternator (£40), and one driveshaft gaitor (£2.90) - neither made by Fiat.
At last mot, in September, the unsolicited comment from the tester was 'What a beautiful little motor- absolutely perfect' :D

That's why ;)

Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
<------- 1991.
Bought in 2009.
Passed mot every year, no advisories.
Two replacement parts due to wear/breakage: recon alternator (£40), and one driveshaft gaitor (£2.90) - neither made by Fiat.
At last mot, in September, the unsolicited comment from the tester was 'What a beautiful little motor- absolutely perfect' :D

That's why ;)
Quite true with many things in life , they sure don't make things like they used to , we got a microwave as a wedding present that lasted 20 years with daily use.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back