Why our pets lay in the sun and groom themselves (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
From Google.
Dogs and cats secrete the same oily cholesterol from their skin, just like us. When they lay in the sun, that oil is, again, converted to Vitamin D3. The difference, however, is that because they have so much hair, the vitamin ends up on their fur and doesn’t get absorbed through their skin.

When they lick their body, to groom or clean themselves, they ingest the vitamin D orally. So maybe it’s a good thing that cats have OCD with cleaning themselves. Oh and by the way, I mention cats and dogs, but this info applies to ALL furry mammals and also to birds.

And I thought it was just because our cats were lazy pampered pets.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
From Google.
Dogs and cats secrete the same oily cholesterol from their skin, just like us. When they lay in the sun, that oil is, again, converted to Vitamin D3. The difference, however, is that because they have so much hair, the vitamin ends up on their fur and doesn’t get absorbed through their skin.

When they lick their body, to groom or clean themselves, they ingest the vitamin D orally. So maybe it’s a good thing that cats have OCD with cleaning themselves. Oh and by the way, I mention cats and dogs, but this info applies to ALL furry mammals and also to birds.

and there was me thinking the wife was licking me all over for some other reason!:rolleyes::confused::whistle2::imoutahere:

Aye right!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From Google.

So it’s good for me to lick my pet?
Well ... maybe ... but you may get fat and possibly increase your risk of heart etc disease due to all the cholesterol! :oops:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
From what we witness daily with our lovely boy Cat, Bobby, he must have an abundance of Vitamin D3 around his bum area than?:giggle:
LES

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
And here is me thinking that dogs lick their b*lls because they can ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back