Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
How long have they been designing motorhomes and caravans? Do the designers never use their designs and see their shortcomings?

Go to a locker to put something inside. Of course, you have that something in your hand, so why does it always take two hands to open the locker? Press one button (or pull n one latch) and as soon as you do the same to the second, the first one re-latches and you are faced with putting down what is in your hand / arms

Small and annoying detail, (not so when it is raining), but c'mon, should not be hard to think through.

I'm sure I must be the only sad person that this winds up.
(Just felt like a rant):)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Our cassette hatch has two buttons, it also winds me up a tad. All the others only have one latch thankfully. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ah, I see you haven't got the most universally desired but very rare motorhome accessory ...

a pet octopus! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Sticking plasters: why do 'they' think everyone has a nurse on hand to unpack and apply them? With one hand dripping blood it's almost impossible to tear one from its friends, remove the outer cover, remove the inner cover, and at the same time reassure ones cowering wife that it's just a scratch.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Sticking plasters: why do 'they' think everyone has a nurse on hand to unpack and apply them? With one hand dripping blood it's almost impossible to tear one from its friends, remove the outer cover, remove the inner cover, and at the same time reassure ones cowering wife that it's just a scratch.

Thats why i use electrical tape :) its kind of manly :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... just don't mix it up with gaffer tape! :eek:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
How long have they been designing motorhomes and caravans? Do the designers never use their designs and see their shortcomings?

Go to a locker to put something inside. Of course, you have that something in your hand, so why does it always take two hands to open the locker? Press one button (or pull n one latch) and as soon as you do the same to the second, the first one re-latches and you are faced with putting down what is in your hand / arms

Small and annoying detail, (not so when it is raining), but c'mon, should not be hard to think through.

I'm sure I must be the only sad person that this winds up.
(Just felt like a rant):)

Should'a bought a Swift:reel::imoutahere:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
@Minxy Girl believe it or not if no tape available i have used mitre mate (two part super glue) before now.

It stings a bit but does the job (y) cant get blood on nice oak timber doors etc :D
My chest was glued back together after heart surgery, as was my leg wound where the donor vein was harvested.
Just as well, as I don't like needles. :LOL:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Gaffer for real men. sellotape If you want to see how it is getting on underneath.

As for designers and equipment. I spent a fortune and there is NO BLOODY WASTE BIN in it, and nowhere to put one except on the door. Hymer make one to go on there, it is tiny and peculiar shape so useless. AND it cost ÂŁ85 + vat.
Plastic thing bought for ÂŁ4 and stuck on the bathroom wall but not a good place and rather small.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I just use my nose ....

...waiting for all the bigger men to come on now :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
@GWAYGWAY gaffer tapes no good for me I have sausage fingers so gaffer tape won't allow them to bend so I can hold my tools :D

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Funnily enough I spotted a uplifting door last week with gas struts fitted. My Burstner has two button catches and a bonnet like stay to keep it open.
So I've just bought 2 of these, hopefully I'll only need to press the button catches and the door will lift up just like magic.:Grin:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I only need one hand. To open mine. Or get the wife. Or @movan and her nose.:pinocchio:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I just use my nose ....

...waiting for all the bigger men to come on now :)

Personally I've never used sticking plasters, if its trivial enough to only require a sticking plaster then it doesn't need any kind of dressing, wash it dab it dry & let the air heal it naturally, that's why ambulances don't carry sticking plasters & why paramedics laugh when people chip up on a saturday night looking for them. One point to note there though is that its usually woman who chip up asking for plasters as their heels are cut to blazes with the things that their calling shoes!! That might just pop the sticking plaster question back to the girls side of the arguement lol, but then the girls would open the aforementioned plasters with one hand & apply them. :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Personally I've never used sticking plasters, if its trivial enough to only require a sticking plaster then it doesn't need any kind of dressing, wash it dab it dry & let the air heal it naturally, that's why ambulances don't carry sticking plasters & why paramedics laugh when people chip up on a saturday night looking for them. One point to note there though is that its usually woman who chip up asking for plasters as their heels are cut to blazes with the things that their calling shoes!! That might just pop the sticking plaster question back to the girls side of the arguement lol, but then the girls would open the aforementioned plasters with one hand & apply them. :whistle::whistle::whistle:
My use of (whatever tape is nearest) sticking plasters isn't to help healing: it is to stop dripping. As you say uncovered is best. On the subject raised by the OP there are numerous irritations built in to motorhomes (and caravans) : why do overhead lockers only open to forehead bruising height; why do sinks not slope towards the plug hole by more than the absolute minimum; why do ovens rattle?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My use of (whatever tape is nearest) sticking plasters isn't to help healing: it is to stop dripping. As you say uncovered is best. On the subject raised by the OP there are numerous irritations built in to motorhomes (and caravans) : why do overhead lockers only open to forehead bruising height; why do sinks not slope towards the plug hole by more than the absolute minimum; why do ovens rattle?

One further question to add to the OP is why are the beds in motorhomes only made for oompaloompahs commonly known as midgets or munchkins? Any time I've questioned this on the forum the standard answers come back "oh there's only so much space" but that arguement simply doesn't hold water. I don't give a toss about limited space, the big issue for me is that I don't fit into the average motorhome bed & I'm only 6ft 2in. Have a look at the height of the kids strolling out of any secondary school nowadays & you'll get a crick in your neck whilst looking up. I have a nephew at 6ft 7in & in his social circles that's looked upon as normal. If moho designers don't waken up to this worsening issue they'll end up out of the game as the moho industry will die a slow agonising death. These up & coming (please excuse the pun) potential customers of moho's aren't going to pay ÂŁ50k ÂŁ60k or ÂŁ70k for a machine that they've to fold up like a penknife simply to go to bed in, it's bloody uncomfortable for a start so why would you take up motorhoming if their first experience is one of extreme discomfort? So that potential customer drifts off to a hotel room on the Costa Del Plonk & never returns. Wake up motorhome designers before you end up losing all of your potential customer base. The industry is quite buoyant just now & I for one would like to see that continue, so I don't need a wonderful big walk in wardrobe, I want a wonderful big sleep in bed cos I go away to chill out & not to keep a chiropractor in business. A little person fits in a big bed but big people don't fit in a small bed.

Last edited:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I am 5' 6" and do not fit the single bed on the left side so I go to the drop down bed and get as much as I like to move about, SHE stays in the single on the right which is longer. I get more sleep without listening to the moaning about being restless.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
No, the new ones go up and when there jam the loo door open as well.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Great stuff.......after one of our horses injured herself and exposed both knee capsules I managed to perfect the art of dressing her knees and it staying on in the field. Electrical tape was an important part of it.
SO if any of you need a dressing on a sore knee I can sort it for you......:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back