Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It seems there are models out there that fit the bill but just one or two niggles that bug me, like we prefer the lounging type space but need the diner for the seat belts..? And I need the hand brake on the left of the drivers seat and only seen that on the Merc ( as my disabled hand controls are used with right hand)

Can anyone confirm IF the Handbrake is on the Left of the Drivers seat, on the LHD Fiat Chassis?. (option?).

Pity sometimes that Euro Chassis do not have the "Foot" Parking brake as found on my Old Winnebago!.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Or, better still, the electric one found on many modern cars.

Good Idea on paper but "Non Mechanical" Park brakes can be problematic. and unlike an "Air" brake do not fail ON (as far as I am aware). Which was part the reason Electric brakes on 5th Wheelers where not acceptable under UK MOT rules?.

Pet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I suspect that any seats other than the cab seats would be next to useless if crash tested, belts or not.

dont think that is so. i have checked the anchorage of all our belts and they are directly to a purpose built in steel frames bolted through the floor to chassis parts.
they must comply with the appropriate standard or would not be allowed to be marked as dedicated passenger belted seats.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Good Idea on paper but "Non Mechanical" Park brakes can be problematic. and unlike an "Air" brake do not fail ON (as far as I am aware). Which was part the reason Electric brakes on 5th Wheelers where not acceptable under UK MOT rules?.

Pet

The European ones have 2 motors so no problems.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
dont think that is so. i have checked the anchorage of all our belts and they are directly to a purpose built in steel frames bolted through the floor to chassis parts.
they must comply with the appropriate standard or would not be allowed to be marked as dedicated passenger belted seats.

Sounds good but only crash testing proves anything. The reason they can be marked as passenger seats is that they are facing in the right direction and the belt mountings comply.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Our last van was a Bessie 496
6 seat belts - 4 forward facing and two rear facing
Rear u shape lounge which converted to a double bed or two singles
An over cab double
And a dinette which converted to another double
Overall length 7.6m

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Can anyone confirm IF the Handbrake is on the Left of the Drivers seat, on the LHD Fiat Chassis?. (option?).

Pity sometimes that Euro Chassis do not have the "Foot" Parking brake as found on my Old Winnebago!.

Pete
Yep my 2007 Ducato LHD has + 4 forward facing seat belts (inclu cab )

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Those additional belted seats hold you in place while in the event of a forward collision, the fridge/ cooker/ microwave and mirrors make a dash for the windscreen.........
I would worry more about the secureness of fittings inside the van before I worried about extra seat belts.
Just how securely is your fridge held in place?..........

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Those additional belted seats hold you in place while in the event of a forward collision, the fridge/ cooker/ microwave and mirrors make a dash for the windscreen.........
I would worry more about the secureness of fittings inside the van before I worried about extra seat belts.
Just how securely is your fridge held in place?..........

The above was debated "ad nausea" On an American R-V website a few years back following a bad wreck in (I think) Utah?. The driver (or passenger?) was killed by the fridge flying forward when the R-V slammed into the rear of a Commercial Truck. The other front seat passenger survived with only (relativity) Minor injuries and Whiplash. At the last count the survivor was trying to Sue the R-V maker. (as they do!).

Pete

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Answer for this one if you have the berths and no seats put them all in the TOAD on the back and save fuel on the car, just pretend they are following very closely.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I suspect that any seats other than the cab seats would be next to useless if crash tested, belts or not.
My Chausson has a bl***y great steel frame going to the mauin chassis the problem would be that the passengers would stay there and have the van body rush past them on the way out the front screen.

barista

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato based coach built
Exp
Glad I'll only ever be in the front!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun