Why not stay on motorway Aires? (1 Viewer)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
As the title really.

We've passed some really nice motorway Aires and wonder why the advice given in the All the Aires book states that it's not advisable to stay overnight on them. Surely any thief would have to travel on the roads to get to the aire, commit the theft then escape on the same roads. With numberplate recognition surely this would be a very unattractive proposition? Wouldn't the same criminal activity be more likely at an aire in a town or village?

Has anyone actually had a theft from their motorhome on motorway Aires?

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
France, Spain, Portugal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
I guess some may agree in the logic of your argument however, that particular form of advice over many many years from so many on this and other forums suggests to me that the potential for being a victim of crime when overnighting on the motorway aires/truck stops is a risk not worth taking when it is far safer to use an aire in said towns and villages.
I don't know what the French translation is for "l told you so" but l don't want to hear it either.
Either way good luck on your travels and may the Spirit of Motorhomers (Jim?) watch over you.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I always take the view that you are probably ok if the aire is a fair distance from a large town or city as I can’t see your usual scroat going on a long drive on the off chance there might be someone worth robbing at a particular aire.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have stooped on lot's of airs over the years and never had a problem we park in well lit arias usually within eye shot of the man garage till pay point arias that are well busy with lot of pedestrian traffic.
park out of the way in a corner sumwhare you are asking to get robed i never park near other motorhomes and if sum one parks next to us we just turn the music up that loud they move on.
groups of motor homes attract interest
bill

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There is a very popular toll motorway service area / aire at Bai de somme between Calais and Abberville.
Even has a nice caravan type picnic area and a lake..

HOWEVER, While you think you are in the middle of nowhere there is an access road at the back and people / "thieves" can just walk in, rob and go if they wanted.

True you can be robbed anywhere so always be on guard. Stopped at many motorway services overnight, never had an issue BUT now I know about camping car aires I will always use one of those first.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
giphy.gif

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
It ok to park in them if,
you like the stink of pee ! as most truck drivers too bloody lazy to walk to the toilets !
You love the trucks stopping and starting all night !
You love the sound of the genny going on/off all night on a refrigerator truck !
Lights shining in via rooflights and via cracks in the blinds !
The squeal of air brakes !
the list goes on and on.
Far better on proper Aires and far safer too, IMHO.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Unfortunately I do know several people that have been robbed at French Motorway aires. I know some funsters too and even a neighbour of mine was robbed on an aire at knifepoint whilst only 100 yards from the fuel station. So there is something in it although you have to consider the following.
We have stayed several times trouble free at motorway aires without an issue.
we have done 100s of nights away in France and the only incident we had was on a really nice not motorway aire but the aire at Bitch.

Deleted User
We use them all the time, however, I am aware that the general advice is not to. We use them to catch up on sleep when touring, not as part of the holiday, so typical may pull in at 11.00pm and be gone by 6.00am. We don't use them to 'camp' eg pulling in at 6pm and leaving the next morning at 10.00am, if we had that much time on our hands we would find a nice village air (00's on the web). I have heard tales of robberies and damage, however, have not actually met any one who has had a problem, although everyone has heard of someone else who has heard of someone who has had a problem. Problem we found this year was somewhere to park up, lorries seem to have taken over the non 'motorway service aires' in some cases even double parked alongside each other. Wildbill above seems to have it sorted

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
A thief is less conspicuous moving around a motorway aire de services on foot or in a vehicle at any hour of the night than they would be in a village or town. They can also make a very rapid getaway on an 80mph motorway. There are no automated barriers to restrict vehicle movements. Aires in towns and villages benefit local businesses so they're more likely to be checked by Police, motorway aires are more impersonal.

The picnic area type motorway aires in France are too isolated for my liking - I prefer to be in a more built up place, even if it's just a village.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have used motorway aires many many times as we live in France and touch wood haven't experienced any problems. I think its more of a case of parking sensibly. I try and park as close to the shop as possible. Making sure I'm in a very well lite area and if possible close to other motor homes and away from fences or the edge of the aire.
I also make sure the drivers door and passenger door are strapped together so they can't be opened from outside. I use a ratchet type strap between the doors. I have read about people claiming they have been gassed. I have spoken with two anesthetist who claim no such gas exist otherwise they would use it in hospitals. So rightly or wrongly I continue to use motorway aires.

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I'm thinking more of the toll roads where there are lovely landscaped Aires with pic-nic tables, etc. There are some trucks parked there but would they risk their livelihood by stealing? The barriers at the Peage booths all have vehicle numberplate recognition.

I'm wondering if it's a bit like the white transit that was seen from John o'Groats to landsend whose occupants waited outside livery yards then accessed paddocks and plaited horses manes to mark them for thieves. No-one ever knew first hand of a horse being stolen but the story did the rounds for the best part of two years. There was many a worried horse owner.

Tom2023

Free Member
Mar 20, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Hymer B754
It's perfectly safe as long as you sleep with your gas mask on.

This always makes me laugh.

Anesthetists have 6 years training to learn how to knock someone out with gas and not kill them. It's a science that takes into account age, weight & any multitude of health issues. Yet we are supposed to believe there are gangs of Gypsies roaming round Europe who can knock everyone in a motorhome out with some unspecified gas so they can rob them and they never kill a single person.

Why don't these people get £100k+ consultant Anesthetist jobs in the NHS instead of robbing 12v TVs for a living?

Last edited:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Ee bye 'eck ... every body knows someone who has a brother who talked to his mate in a pub who knows someboy who was robbed gassed and physically abused on a French motorway aire. How fortunate I have been must have spent more than 300 nights on French aires all over France and NO-ONE has yet abused me physically robbed or gassed me ... and I'm feeling very very neglected and unwanted. June 2017 ... 329 people were killed on French roads and STILL we dare to use the roads we must have a death wish. Don't know why I'm writing this as those who fear everything will always fear everything, never believe that the world is "generally" a safe place if you take a little care and continue to live their lives behind curtains whilst the rest will enjoy the facilities left empty by the "curtain twitchers". Not having a pop at anyone, each must evaluate the risks they are willing to take but it is such a shame that many will never park outside a campsite and experience the full richness of the world.
p.s. There is a distinct difference between a "service area" with a petrol station, toilets and a little shop and an "aire" which has no services only parking. I have used aires but DO prefer the added security and facilities of a service area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
why use motorways at all.
your on holiday meet the locals ,
drive slowly and enjoy the ride out.

Yes, we do for the most part but today with exceptionally high winds and driving rain we found the aires (two of them) we were aiming for were closed - one was bulldozed flat - part of a road development scheme, the other had massive concrete blocks across the entrance. We'd been driving for hours and we're tired. We had to move northwards and passed some nice looking Aires en route - hence my question.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
@Southdowners .. use the aires with fuel stations and enjoy the FREE facilities and be amazed by the quality of food available, if you are staying for the night you may even enjoy a BEER or WINE with you meal as the Nanny state is not as present as in the UK

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Anesthetists have 6 years training to learn how to knock someone out with gas and not kill them. It's a science that takes into account age, weight & any multitude of health issues. Yet we are supposed to believe there are gangs of Gypsies roaming round Europe who can knock everyone in a motorhome out with some unspecified gas so they can rob them and they never kill a single person.

Why don't these people get £100k+ consultant Anesthetist jobs in the NHS instead of robbing 12v TVs for a living?

I assumed that @SpeedyDux was :reel:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
As the title really.

We've passed some really nice motorway Aires and wonder why the advice given in the All the Aires book states that it's not advisable to stay overnight on them. Surely any thief would have to travel on the roads to get to the aire, commit the theft then escape on the same roads. With numberplate recognition surely this would be a very unattractive proposition? Wouldn't the same criminal activity be more likely at an aire in a town or village?

Has anyone actually had a theft from their motorhome on motorway Aires?

I usually use the picnic aires & the more remote the better as far as I am concerned. If I have a choice in the motorway (non -service) aires then I will usually park on the lorry area.Travelling from Langon down to Jaca I'll park in the large off road laybys all the time. I have a huge variety that I have used . On the actual motorways (non toll) there are some nice ones in amongst the trees north from Bordeaux & south the same although I have used the fuel station service area.
I usually overnight somewhere on the French side of the Som port tunnel . The best place has no internet though & the one I use has better internet /phone signal than here at home but the little train is right next to you. :D

I'm thinking more of the toll roads where there are lovely landscaped Aires with pic-nic tables, etc. There are some trucks parked there but would they risk their livelihood by stealing? The barriers at the Peage booths all have vehicle numberplate recognition.

I'm wondering if it's a bit like the white transit that was seen from John o'Groats to landsend whose occupants waited outside livery yards then accessed paddocks and plaited horses manes to mark them for thieves. No-one ever knew first hand of a horse being stolen but the story did the rounds for the best part of two years. There was many a worried horse owner.
Yes & that is where a large proportion occur and I have posed the question before how do they get off ? Can only be done through a service area with access for staff I'd guess.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Don't get started on here about GASSING,,it will go on for weeks,,,BUSBY:D:D

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What ever anyone says, everyone will do exactly what they think is best for them.

Some people worry about this or that or the other...

Worry, worry, worry.

Worry is the most USELESS emotion of them all.

I have stayed on motorway service areas many, many, many times and have only had a teeny, weeny, weeny spot of bother (soon sorted) once in over three decades.

JJ :cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We always overnight at garages,,,, The only time we stopped at a 'proper' aires, some bugger stole our step!!!!!

Always park up with the lorries.. Never alone away from them.. If there are blaggers about parking away from everyone else just makes you a target

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
What ever anyone says, everyone will do exactly what they think is best for them.

Some people worry about this or that or the other...

Worry, worry, worry.

Worry is the most USELESS emotion of them all.

I have stayed on motorway service areas many, many, many times and have only had a teeny, weeny, weeny spot of bother (soon sorted) once in over three decades.

JJ :cool:
Worry is just like a ROCKING HORSE,,it gives you something to do but GETS YOU NOWHERE,,,BUSBY,,

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I have used motorway aires many many times as we live in France and touch wood haven't experienced any problems. I think its more of a case of parking sensibly. I try and park as close to the shop as possible. Making sure I'm in a very well lite area and if possible close to other motor homes and away from fences or the edge of the aire.
I also make sure the drivers door and passenger door are strapped together so they can't be opened from outside. I use a ratchet type strap between the doors. I have read about people claiming they have been gassed. I have spoken with two anesthetist who claim no such gas exist otherwise they would use it in hospitals. So rightly or wrongly I continue to use motorway aires.

Us too, we have stayed in many places that some would never consider.

All about gut feeling.

Rarely had a problem.

TM

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back