Why not stay on motorway Aires? (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not much of a worry if your van is secure,,,BUSBY,,

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Every year we go to France or via France and every time we have stayed overnight on the motorways services and never had any problems at all, they are most of the time toll services which are very well serviced, toilets,water,showers on some and even chemical point, we always tend to find the bigger ones are much better (with the land that goes off into a wooded area via roads) very quite an always have had good night sleep there, sometimes if they are busy you normally find MH parked among the HGVs - we have also stopped on services in Croatia as well as a few others, we tend to do it more and more frequently now, it beats the hell out of campsites (especially UK sites) Cant even stop at a UK service are for a nap/bite to eat and a rest for any longer than 2 hrs - WHY NOT ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Every year we go to France or via France and every time we have stayed overnight on the motorways services and never had any problems at all, they are most of the time toll services which are very well serviced, toilets,water,showers on some and even chemical point, we always tend to find the bigger ones are much better (with the land that goes off into a wooded area via roads) very quite an always have had good night sleep there, sometimes if they are busy you normally find MH parked among the HGVs - we have also stopped on services in Croatia as well as a few others, we tend to do it more and more frequently now, it beats the hell out of campsites (especially UK sites) Cant even stop at a UK service are for a nap/bite to eat and a rest for any longer than 2 hrs - WHY NOT ?
Why,,because the owners of Motorway Services are greedy bastards and we don't spend money whilst sleeping,,BUSBY,,

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I have seen the Motorway Aires and thought yea they would be ok for a night if parked sensibly. But honestly with decent trip planning I cant imagine needing to use them. Never going to drive until I am that tired I need the next services when on holiday. Its about pre planned nice spots or aiming at nice spots hoping for a decent corner of the world to park at with a nice view.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Suppose that is why we are all so different - we never like to plan our stops, if somewhere looks good enough for the night that normally does the job - ready to move on to another destination the following morning - No ties - No booking ins/outs at certain times, just get up when ready an leave when ready - Ive had better views from the back of a services area in France than a campsite in the UK

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We don’t regularly use Autoroute Aires although we love Aires de Camping Cars.

The only time we have had any trouble on an Autoroute Aire was when we parked between a group of lorries. At 5:00am I got out to walk the dog before an early start. Unfortunately, I forgot that I had set the alarm which went off as soon as I opened the door. To say I was not popular with the lorry drivers is an understatement.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We have stopped on autoroute Aires in France, however you are never at ease, trucks coming and going all the night. Then of course the only fridge van in the area comes and parks 12 ins away from you and it's fridge motor sings you to sleep (I don't think ). I do know people who have had the windscreen cut out and robbed whilst they slept. But if you must stayhtere DON'T stay amongst the trucks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have stopped on autoroute Aires in France, however you are never at ease, trucks coming and going all the night. Then of course the only fridge van in the area comes and parks 12 ins away from you and it's fridge motor sings you to sleep (I don't think ). I do know people who have had the windscreen cut out and robbed whilst they slept. But if you must stayhtere DON'T stay amongst the trucks.
I am sorry, I would not usually post something in direct opposition to a member,but I believe that is very poor advice indeed, and could easily be dangerous.
Get used to the noise.. It is better to be a little disturbed that make your self a big easy target for any toerags on the lookout for a bit of 5 finger discount.
After 8 years of doing motorway aires I know of only ONE person who had something stolen.. That was my son-in-law and daughter who had, of all things, a pram stolen!!
Sure, you HEAR of things but when you start digging it is the same as gassing stories.. My mate knew a man whose cousin said their milkman etc etc

I am def not saying these things never happen, only that they are a lot rarer than people would have you believe, providing basic security measures are observed..
I feel safer in a french garage type aires than an awful lot of camp sites I have stayed at in the uk

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
I've just read this thread through and think a lot of people worry needlessly ,I'm a retired truck driver and I've parked all over the place with no problem at all.the autoroute services .if you park near trucks don't block them in they've only got an 8 hour rest period so they go early in the morning.i don't mind the noise of fridges but then I pulled fridges for years. And if any thing happens during night most drivers sleep with a wheelbrace in easy reach and help each other out.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
One thing not mentioned as yet in terms of a safety/alarm device that is....a dog!, it would seem that most MH owners have at least one dog, and I bet one of them barking at the door would put most robbers off entering the van.
We dont have a real dog, but we do have a cyber one called a Growler, its fully house trained and came from a good stud farm at Vanbitz.:)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
When parking on aires, stations or les routiers please remember that the truck drivers that use these areas normally have little or no choice of their overnight parking due to driving hour restrictions and a boss riding his/her back to make as good a time as possible. Truckers do not take exception at motorhomes parking as they themselves number amongst us ... but ... when parking our little toy trucks do not use one bay per motorhome where possible park behind each other thereby using up less of the precious parking spaces. You have not paid for your place, it is not your area to defend against intruders have consideration and respect for others as we would wish for ourselves. Say hello or "bonjour" and ask the motorhomer already there if he/she is happy for you to park behind them " Je peux garer mon camping-car derrière le votre pour économiser de l'espace pour les camions"

OP
OP
Southdowners

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I have seen the Motorway Aires and thought yea they would be ok for a night if parked sensibly. But honestly with decent trip planning I cant imagine needing to use them. Never going to drive until I am that tired I need the next services when on holiday. Its about pre planned nice spots or aiming at nice spots hoping for a decent corner of the world to park at with a nice view.

Our issue was that we'd reached our first proposed stop and found it closed, went to another to find the same. We were driving in extremely high winds and driving rain - we were tired having driven a couple of hundred miles and needed to stop.... but where?

Having read the replies here we will definitely stop on motorway Aires with no qualms in the future.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I am sorry, I would not usually post something in direct opposition to a member,but I believe that is very poor advice indeed, and could easily be dangerous.
Get used to the noise.. It is better to be a little disturbed that make your self a big easy target for any toerags on the lookout for a bit of 5 finger discount.
After 8 years of doing motorway aires I know of only ONE person who had something stolen.. That was my son-in-law and daughter who had, of all things, a pram stolen!!
Sure, you HEAR of things but when you start digging it is the same as gassing stories.. My mate knew a man whose cousin said their milkman etc etc

I am def not saying these things never happen, only that they are a lot rarer than people would have you believe, providing basic security measures are observed..
I feel safer in a french garage type aires than an awful lot of camp sites I have stayed at in the uk

Well each to their own view, however I cannot think of a better screen for the no goods activities than HGV lorries.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
My son and partner were advised by the French police not to stay on a particular motorway Aire, they moved to another one and were ROBBED during the night.

That experience has persuaded us never to over-night on a motorway Aire!

Rod

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
During the day OK, but I would not overnight on a motorway aire abroad. There are plenty a little distance away from any motorway junction. Safer and quieter.
Phil

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
My son and partner were advised by the French police not to stay on a particular motorway Aire, they moved to another one and were ROBBED during the night.

That experience has persuaded us never to over-night on a motorway Aire!

Rod
I just can't understand how any one can gain entry to your motorhome if you have decent internal security..Only way into mine would be through a window by breaking it,,pretty sure that would wake me up. BUSBY..

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I just can't understand how any one can gain entry to your motorhome if you have decent internal security..Only way into mine would be through a window by breaking it,,pretty sure that would wake me up. BUSBY..

T'was an older camper and the door lock was 'screwdrivered'!

Rod

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I would add that paranoia is a hard master !
That is so true. In reality nowhere is 100% safe and secure against those who would visit harm upon us (pinched that). One must however ask what steps some do take to secure their property whilst "bimbling" around in motorhomes. I hear comments such as "always make sure you can see your mh at all times when on services in case baddies do nasty things". They seem to believe there are groups of scallywags laying in wait for us to park up to rob us. A much easier target would be the houses we have left behind. Whilst we do not take foolish risks (I hope) the very worst that can happen is the MH and all it's contents are stolen never to be seen again. I always have my wallet with me with credit cards, driving licences etc, the rest .... it is insured if they nick it ... they nick it ... if I feared the risks I would not take them in the first place. I would never try and persuade anyone to do what they do not feel safe doing ... but ... surely we must not scare nervous persons with unsubstantiated tales of woe. If our MH was stolen, we would be very angry upset and sad but together we would get over it, buy another, a slightly different model and continue. Our lives are for living not for fearing.

Here endeth todays sermon(y)(y)(y)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well I’ve been robbed on a motorway aire back in 2003 so you’d never get me staying again overnight. They tried 10 vans that night and got into 3 of them all while we were asleep. This was on the A1 heading towards Paris, busy place with petrol etc, guess that’s why they picked it.
A friend of mine gave chase to some that were trying his van, they ran across the road to the aire on the other side.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Us with old vans can sleep soundly knowing that our vehicle are not attractive to tea leafs ,no dish on the roof or mountain bikes on the rack etc if they broke in while we were asleep the dog would get them.if the van was unattended all they could get would be a bag of groceries.if they drove it away it only does about 60mph flat out so easy to catch up with.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i have my own deterrent it's called the wife like a bulldog chewing a wasp frighten any thing away :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
bill

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
T'was an older camper and the door lock was 'screwdrivered'!

Rod
But if you have internal draw bolts there is no way quiet access can be gained,,cheap to buy easy to fit or fit Heosafe,,,,BUSBY:)

May 10, 2017
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Knauss Sun I
Exp
new
We stopped on a motorway service it was a peage northern france, pulled in at 10.30pm, fuelled up parked with other motorhomes and caravans. and was awoken by the van door opening, luckily I am a light sleeper grabbed my humane hedgehog killer and swung it at him just caught his shoulder he turned and ran off. Made the heart beat faster I can tell you. It was an older van and he used a screwdriver on the lock in fact both locks, I also assumed that on a toll motorway parked with others I would be safe, did not think they would pay the toll to go a robbing. Shook me up, but would it stop me again. No, I guess it is a numbers game there will always be some lowlife who will want whats yours stay alert stay safe.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
i have my own deterrent it's called the wife like a bulldog chewing a wasp frighten any thing away :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
bill

Hope the wife doesn't read your posts Bill,,

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
As the title really.

We've passed some really nice motorway Aires and wonder why the advice given in the All the Aires book states that it's not advisable to stay overnight on them. Surely any thief would have to travel on the roads to get to the aire, commit the theft then escape on the same roads. With numberplate recognition surely this would be a very unattractive proposition? Wouldn't the same criminal activity be more likely at an aire in a town or village?

Has anyone actually had a theft from their motorhome on motorway Aires?
I was actually broken into and robbed on the picnic area in the services on the A9 at Montpellier our credit card was stolen as was our cash and also our video camera,at the time there must have been at least 20 vans, cars of all descriptions parked behind,in front an opposite us,if you choose to ignore the advice,do so at your peril,we were NOT gassed but we never heard a thing despite our bed being only 10 feet away from where they went through our belongings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back