Why no visitors? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I booked a camp site via pitchup for next weekend some months ago. Final balance of payment taken from my account last week. The purpose of our visit was to meet up with our youngest daughter and see our grandson.

In preparation for our visit, I thought I would check earliest entry time and directions from the camp’s own website. Bit of a surprise to find out a) it is adult only and b) No visitors. I rang the site to ask if they would consider allowing her to visit and was told no way.
What I don’t get is why no visitors in an open air, socially spaced environment... yet I can sit in a enclosed restaurant or bar for a meal.

The site said it was government COVID rules.... is that true or is it just sites being difficult?

It is my own fault for making the booking via PitchUp without directly checking the sites own website at the time - result being because I failed to cancel within 14 days of the visit, I have to forfeit the fees - £133 for 3 nights.
I have requested a refund or failing that, a credit note for future use. Not holding out much hope.

Thankfully have managed to find a CL close to Wimborne that has space and allows visitors.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
all the sites we were in in Scotland 2 weeks ago had prominent' no visitor' info when we booked.... think it was to stop people using the loos etc [if they were open] or to prevent locals mixing [!!] Hope that you get to see the kids xxx

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Possible that the 'No Visitors' Rule is because of the difficulty of tracing the anonymous Visitors if there is a COVID outbreak. Booked people give enough data for Track & Trace to contact, but if all and sundry come and go, life could get very difficult. England's infections have risen by 22% in a week and Scotland has seen a huge hike in the daily figures, with almost 1500 cases in the last 2 days and 5 deaths in the same period after several days of zero deaths.

Steve

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I booked a camp site via pitchup for next weekend some months ago. Final balance of payment taken from my account last week. The purpose of our visit was to meet up with our youngest daughter and see our grandson.

In preparation for our visit, I thought I would check earliest entry time and directions from the camp’s own website. Bit of a surprise to find out a) it is adult only and b) No visitors. I rang the site to ask if they would consider allowing her to visit and was told no way.
What I don’t get is why no visitors in an open air, socially spaced environment... yet I can sit in a enclosed restaurant or bar for a meal.

The site said it was government COVID rules.... is that true or is it just sites being difficult?

It is my own fault for making the booking via PitchUp without directly checking the sites own website at the time - result being because I failed to cancel within 14 days of the visit, I have to forfeit the fees - £133 for 3 nights.
I have requested a refund or failing that, a credit note for future use. Not holding out much hope.

Thankfully have managed to find a CL close to Wimborne that has space and allows visitors.
But surely if it's adults only your grandson wouldn't have been allowed anyway.

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Yep, of to Damage Barton, Woolacombe tomorrow for the weekend as family live close by, no visitors allowed there also. If I’m honest, I do kind of get to for contact tracing etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Could you not just meet up with them somewhere outside the campsite, pub, restaurant etc.
We could but the plan was to have a base to hang out and do our own thing on each of the three days.

The campsite will not refund the fees, even though I noted that they would have no difficulty re-selling the pitch ( they are full according to their website). So by me cancelling the pitch, they will probably double their money.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We could but the plan was to have a base to hang out and do our own thing on each of the three days.

The campsite will not refund the fees, even though I noted that they would have no difficulty re-selling the pitch ( they are full according to their website). So by me cancelling the pitch, they will probably double their money.
Ah, apologies, I thought you meant a one off meeting.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

Just a thought. Could you sell on your booking on the classifieds here or similar and recoup some of your money?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

Perhaps you might have considered being a no show, they were paid so lost nothing but you got the satisfaction of knowing they didn’t sell the pitch again and benefit financially from you doing the right thing by cancelling.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We broke this rule on a site last week. Our daughter had walked down with her dog. The plan was to meet up offsite at an outside cafe but it was cold and wet. Told her just to walk on to the site as if she had the right to be there. As for Test and Trace, we would have named her as a close contact anyway as had dinner with her and other family in a pub the night before.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
This is the CAMC take on it

Can we invite visitors on sites?​

We are not currently allowing visitors on-site to meet with other guests. We’re sure that you will understand that this could increase the social distancing burden on staff and other guests during this particular time. In addition, it will create difficulties in being able to provide track and trace data if required. We ask that you arrange to meet any visitors at an offsite location.

We are currently running a THS with the other club and although it is only a field we have a strict Track and Trace regime/ QR code etc.
No visitors are allowed.

If we didn't and if there was a " problem " it would be the club who would be in trouble ( as well as anyone who got infected)

We used to work on a big site where visitors were charged at £5 each adult. They didn't get many

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Couldn't they pay for a tent pitch, then spend time with you after they put the tent up ?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
You can meet in a pub, but the changes to working practices and procedures that allow that are significant:
Reduced capacity. Groups of 6 inside, up to 30 outside. Requirement to prevent mixing between groups. Masks on when moving about, and that only for entering, leaving or trips to the loo. One way system, provision of hand sanitisation, extra staff to support table service only. Tables cleaned down with antiviral spray between groups, doors and other surfaces used by public cleaned with anti-viral regularly. I could go on .... but the point is - if to allow visitors you had to implement and enforce even a couple of those things across an area the size of a campsite, it would be well nigh imposssible, and all for no financial benefit. So, 'no visitors' is the answer.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
You can meet in a pub, but the changes to working practices and procedures that allow that are significant:
Reduced capacity. Groups of 6 inside, up to 30 outside. Requirement to prevent mixing between groups. Masks on when moving about, and that only for entering, leaving or trips to the loo. One way system, provision of hand sanitisation, extra staff to support table service only. Tables cleaned down with antiviral spray between groups, doors and other surfaces used by public cleaned with anti-viral regularly. I could go on .... but the point is - if to allow visitors you had to implement and enforce even a couple of those things across an area the size of a campsite, it would be well nigh imposssible, and all for no financial benefit. So, 'no visitors' is the answer.
I get the pub/restaurant aspect, but for a moho to have a couple of visitors on their pitch using the moho's facilities, I do not see how that increases costs etc for a campsite or puts anybody else at risk. I travelled into London on a train earlier this week and the carriage was 50% full on a 2 hour journey... that is much more of a risk position than an "outdoor" meet.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I get the pub/restaurant aspect, but for a moho to have a couple of visitors on their pitch using the moho's facilities, I do not see how that increases costs etc for a campsite or puts anybody else at risk. I travelled into London on a train earlier this week and the carriage was 50% full on a 2 hour journey... that is much more of a risk position than an "outdoor" meet.

Point taken .... and if folk could all be trusted to behave sensibly it would work. But that's not the case. Pubs take the risk and spend all day reminding people and occasionally getting abused or worse for doing it, because having visitors to our premises is what generates revenue.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I try and ignore the flippant remarks about this situation but it’s impossible to maintain track and trace with visitors allowed on sites, and I don’t blame them for doing it.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back