Why no UK laws on vehicle emergency kits (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
In my car I carry a first aid kit, spare bulbs (because we went to the continent) a warning triangle, a hammer, an extendible wheel wrench and a 12v Air compressor.
In the 8 years I have owned my car, I have used the first aid kit to patch up an old gent who had cut himself, but was taking aspirin, so bleeding quite a lot. The wheel wrench many times, even lent it out to a desperate guy who could not get his wheel nuts loose in a breakdown at the roadside. The Hammer, many times, after all it is the universal fixing device. One bulb out of the spare set, the rest is all brand new and never been touched!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
In my car I carry a first aid kit, spare bulbs (because we went to the continent) a warning triangle, a hammer, an extendible wheel wrench and a 12v Air compressor.
In the 8 years I have owned my car, I have used the first aid kit to patch up an old gent who had cut himself, but was taking aspirin, so bleeding quite a lot. The wheel wrench many times, even lent it out to a desperate guy who could not get his wheel nuts loose in a breakdown at the roadside. The Hammer, many times, after all it is the universal fixing device. One bulb out of the spare set, the rest is all brand new and never been touched!
The only part of the kit I would ever touch is the bit of paper with the Green Flag number on it. (y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Apart from the just round the bend example quoted higher up I cant see a 'warning triangle' doing anything, you will see the vehicle long before you see the triangle, presuming as Toots suggested it is still standing, I am yet to see one positioned much more than 5' from the vehicle, often propped against the rear wheels

Even on the just round the bend example the only really safe option is deploying yourself or passenger to flag down approaching vehicles, but in reality a lot of just round the corner breakdowns could have moved or coasted further before stopping

Extinguishers, does anybody really know what to do with one, IMO potentially more dangerous to try with no training than leave well alone, only possibly benefit is passing it someone who might know what to do

If only we all drove to a decent or better standard we would not need any of these devices

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Methinks if one was injured badly enough to sever an artery, it's most unlikely that anyone except an actual trained medic would be able to help you - in which case sheer force is probably more useful than anything you'd find in a first aid kit. I doubt I'd be able to apply sufficient pressure to staunch arterial bleeding in anyone bigger than a 10 year old anyway, since I am a total and complete weakling. You know when you've been to the vampire to give blood for a blood test and they tell you to apply pressure to your arm? - I often can't apply enough and they have to come back from decanting and labelling the samples and do it for me! - and that's just a vein!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Because no one in his or her right mind wishes to go mincing off down a duel carriageway to bu**er about with a blow over triangle! It breaks down, I want out, with everyone else, and well out of the way of any half asleep Polish trucker. Wearing high viz dosent stop you being run over, however, it does help when their searching for your corpse. (y)

And while you are getting out of the vehicle and getting your passengers out of the vehicle NOT wearing hi vis on a dark and murky night you are not at risk from that self same trucker ??????????

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would first like to see some evidence that having the kit makes it safer in the countries that require it before setting out more regulations. Just looked it up fatalities per million half in the UK compared to France in 2012 looks like a non starter

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
My last 3 cars had first aid kits, warning triangles, spare bulbs, fire extinguishers and tyre pressure gauges included as standard equipment. I always carry a full emergency kit in the van too, but I agree, I think we should have legislation in line with the rest of the EU to ensure sensible safety equipment is carried in all vehicles.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I think that driver & passenger safety is so paramount that we should ban all types of wheeled vehicles completely.

Just look at the road traffic stats for the early jurassic period - not one fatal RTA in 10,000 years. These cavemen certainly new a thing or two about road safety - even in a time with no speed limits...
(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
So how do most of the EU manage ? Are they more intelligent drivers ?
No. I expect they don't bother carrying all this stuff & just rely on the very good odds of not getting caught... and if they do get caught, just cough up...

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
And while you are getting out of the vehicle and getting your passengers out of the vehicle NOT wearing hi vis on a dark and murky night you are not at risk from that self same trucker ??????????
Who the hell wants to be driving around the roads on a dark and murky night?? o_O Whatever shakes your can, I suppose. Much rather be tucked up somewhere on the EHU. (y)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Highway Code rules for breakdowns and incidents, including rules for breakdowns, additional rules for motorways.

Breakdowns (rule 274)
Rule 274
If your vehicle breaks down, think first of all other road users and

• get your vehicle off the road if possible
  • warn other traffic by using your hazard warning lights if your vehicle is causing an obstruction
  • help other road users see you by wearing light-coloured or fluorescent clothing in daylight and reflective clothing at night or in poor visibility
  • put a warning triangle on the road at least 45 metres (147 feet) behind your broken-down vehicle on the same side of the road, or use other permitted warning devices if you have them. Always take great care when placing or retrieving them, but never use them on motorways
  • if possible, keep your sidelights on if it is dark or visibility is poor
  • do not stand (or let anybody else stand) between your vehicle and oncoming traffic
  • at night or in poor visibility do not stand where you will prevent other road users seeing your lights
Additional rules for motorways (rules 275 to 278)
Rule 275
If your vehicle develops a problem, leave the motorway at the next exit or pull into a service area. If you cannot do so, you should:

• pull on to the hard shoulder and stop as far to the left as possible, with your wheels turned to the left
  • try to stop near an emergency telephone (situated at approximately one-mile intervals along the hard shoulder)
  • leave the vehicle by the left-hand door and ensure your passengers do the same. You MUST leave any animals in the vehicle or, in an emergency, keep them under proper control on the verge. Never attempt to place a warning triangle on a motorway
  • do not put yourself in danger by attempting even simple repairs
  • ensure that passengers keep away from the carriageway and hard shoulder, and that children are kept under control
  • walk to an emergency telephone on your side of the carriageway (follow the arrows on the posts at the back of the hard shoulder) – the telephone is free of charge and connects directly to an operator. Use these in preference to a mobile phone (see Rule 283). Always face the traffic when you speak on the phone
  • give full details to the operator; also inform them if you are a vulnerable motorist such as disabled, older or travelling alone
  • return and wait near your vehicle (well away from the carriageway and hard shoulder)
  • if you feel at risk from another person, return to your vehicle by a left-hand door and lock all doors. Leave your vehicle again as soon as you feel this danger has passed.
Laws MT(E&W)R reg 14 & MT(S)R reg 12

In addition when we broke down on the A1(M) recently we were recommended to "if possible switch on your rear fog warning light". "If you need to stay in your vehicle occupy the nearside front seats and strap yourself in"
In the 2 hours we were on the hard shoulder, not one "Highways" or Police vehicle passed us. The number of trucks running with their wheels on the hard shoulder was frightening.

Reactions: CWH

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just because it is not legally required does not, of course, prevent the sensible motorist carrying what s/he deems to be the most useful kit - you should see the stuff I carry!

Same here!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Because no one in his or her right mind wishes to go mincing off down a duel carriageway to bu**er about with a blow over triangle! It breaks down, I want out, with everyone else, and well out of the way of any half asleep Polish trucker. Wearing high viz dosent stop you being run over, however, it does help when their searching for your corpse. (y)

That's where you are going wrong! You are meant to PLAY the triangle.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back