Why no slides on European motorhomes? (1 Viewer)

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I'm guessing that they think we are all to tight to pay for them :ROFLMAO:
Would be nice if they did.

mikamada

Free Member
Apr 12, 2009
Funster No
In the US the Mercedes Chassis is used for the newer small A classes with Slides. I believe that Mercedes in the US restrict the size of the slide which is pretty small (the length of the couch - approximately 60inches and it does not extend a large amount).

If you go to the Winnebago site and look at the 2010 "Via" which is a 25ft 5inch A Class with slide based upon the M-B/Dodge Sprinter Chassis. This seems to be the same chassis that M-B use in Europe for Motorhomes.

Link Removed

I would assume that M-B control the slides in the US for product liability reasons but I could be wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, probably most euro ones are built down to weight and price :Eeek: Most with slides are 7.5 ton plus
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Not strictly true.

When Iwas at Newark this year there were acompany there that were converting ducato panel vans. They had made a really really nice van that had a slide out. But at nearly 40k I walked past.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
On the face of it 40K doen't seem that bad. many cost more than that. What else was going on with it ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul, yes not strictly true, I have a mate who;s mate does slide outs on sprinter race homes,( 5 ton ) but I thought Goose meant big makers
Terry

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Frankia have been making motorhomes with slide outs for quite a few years, I had a I740SD-VS (VS= Variable Space)
I think the reason is that most people don't want them as the advantages can outweigh the downsides, you pay the price with a heavier payload & added cost. To be honest we decided in the end it just wasn't something we needed.

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
they will catch up in another 20 years lol

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
In the US the Mercedes Chassis is used for the newer small A classes with Slides. I believe that Mercedes in the US restrict the size of the slide which is pretty small (the length of the couch - approximately 60inches and it does not extend a large amount).

If you go to the Winnebago site and look at the 2010 "Via" which is a 25ft 5inch A Class with slide based upon the M-B/Dodge Sprinter Chassis. This seems to be the same chassis that M-B use in Europe for Motorhomes.

Link Removed

I would assume that M-B control the slides in the US for product liability reasons but I could be wrong.

Looks a great motorhome, thanks. Worth a trip to Link Removed me thinks.

ezee

wee shuey

Free Member
Mar 7, 2009
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over 20 yrs yrs
May I ask, why is it that Uk and European motorhomes don't have slides like the US-made ones do?
we bought a fleetwood pulse motorhome from travelworld at the peterborough show and so far have been very pleased with it - it has a 10 ft x 2ft slide out - and the amount of space it gives you inside is amazing - no more squeezing past each other with a pan of hot soup etc - it has roof and dash aircon, cruise control, airbags for both front passengers, furnace heating belly lockers with pass through facility, plenty of interior and exterior luggage space, its euro 4 compliant meaning you can go into london if you wish and only be charged £8 per day - but who wants to do that.--OK so the downside -I get 20 MPG at 60 mph but its a mercedes 3 litre automatic gearbox so no problems with anything and I can get it attended to anywhere. - We will be at the Lincoln show and in the Motorcaravan Club section so if you want a natter drop by and see us - sorry I cant afford to offer you a pint as after buying the above - IM SKINT

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I think one of the main reasons is that the US started off using truck chassis, and coach chassis for the upmarket models, while the Europeans started using van or light truck chassis with a much smaller payload. I note that the two are beginning to coverge, with the Euro vans getting bigger and the US RVs starting to include smaller models. However, as pointed out in a previous post, apart from the very latest C Class Rvs with slide-outs, virtually all the RVs with slide-outs (mostly A-Class) are either just below the 7.5 ton limit, or well over. In contrast, there are virtually no Euro MHs over the 7.5 ton limit, and most are closer to the 3.5 ton limit.

OP
OP
Goose

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
we bought a fleetwood pulse motorhome from travelworld at the peterborough show and so far have been very pleased with it

Now that is interesting. Better half and I are thinking of importing a Coachmen Prism M220 into the UK from the USA. Your Fleetwood Pulse has the same 3Lt Merc diesel engine and Sprinter chassis as the Prism we're looking at - very similar rv.

May I ask...what year yours is and, if we were to instead purchase in the UK, what price we're likely to pay for one similar to yours? I'd really like to know whether it's worth the bother of importing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back