Why no Gypsies on French Aires? (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We've travelled around France quite extensively and last few days have journeyed North from Cadiz to our current site near Lemans.
We've noticed many Gypsy encampments on our travels, all of them on scrappy plots of land that dont look too welcoming.
We've never seen Gypsies on a French Aire though?
Why dont the Gypsies take advantage of free French Aires???

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We’ve seen Gypsies on French Aires occasionally. France provides proper facilities for the travelling community so they generally have an alternative to parking up on other peoples land. We have noticed that when they are on aires, they tend to respect their surroundings.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Have seen some on French Aires, and one lot in Pepignon that had parked up behind an aire, hooked up to one of the water outlets with multi hose connections and taped the tap valve to permanently on, wired up to the aire power point, opened the rear of the box, and we're using it to power a washing machine in the middle of their camp. Washing all out on lines. Camp was tidy and no bother to anyone. They left after a couple of days and just left the washing machine behind, I assume because they had done all their washing, dried it and wouldn't have any power at their next camp.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We’ve seen them on an Aire in France last year so we didn’t stay.
In France they do have proper places for them to stay.
This may explain
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We too have seen them on Aires, once with the police in attendance!

Ian

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Gypsies have special aires devoted to them only. They are called "Aire d'accueil des gens du voyage" although they do prefer to free camp on my stadium:censored:
In Brive near the centre a group have bought ground and divided it up . They are there mostly in the winter but away working in the summer. Each totally neat and spotless. White gravel on each area and raked daily. It is actually neater than the houses opposite !!!

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
In Brive near the centre a group have bought ground and divided it up . They are there mostly in the winter but away working in the summer. Each totally neat and spotless. White gravel on each area and raked daily. It is actually neater than the houses opposite !!!
Lucky you!!! JJ and I were completly gutted with what we saw happening on my stadium: bin bags everywhere, poo in each corner (and we have lots of them here!!) youngsters racing with cars on the path, or being drunk! Spring and summer see me now being very anxious just with the thought they could succeed in breaking in once more! :mad:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Lucky you!!! JJ and I were completly gutted with what we saw happening on my stadium: bin bags everywhere, poo in each corner (and we have lots of them here!!) youngsters racing with cars on the path, or being drunk! Spring and summer see me now being very anxious just with the thought they could succeed in breaking in once more! :mad:
That is a shame and I sympathise with you . Over my time of living here I think there are two different types of travelling people in France. Those who travel to work with a settled place when not working and the filthy lot !! We have a settlement of the later near Tulle but fortunately not in town and hidden from the road !!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went into an Aire but it was a gypsy one only, as mentioned by Yodelli above. Not a welcome I wish to have.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Spent a night with them on an Aire just off N10, as said in earlier post had the services all plugged in, with one trannie having about 4 washing machines going full belt, around 8 pm mothers came out and called all the kids in, they were no bother, and we had a quiet night

Deleted User
We were on a campsite in Brittany and there were a group of Irish Travellers well entrenched so had been there some time. Several times vans would turn up at about 10pm and unload stuff and take orders for other stuff. They all cleared of on a Sunday lunchtime in convoy when reception was closed, I don’t think any money was paid. I think the site owner was glad that they were going. The spawns were a nightmare.

spongy

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Plenty on Sainte Maure de Touraine, a couple of weeks ago.. We moved on.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We were on a campsite in Brittany and there were a group of Irish Travellers well entrenched so had been there some time. Several times vans would turn up at about 10pm and unload stuff and take orders for other stuff. They all cleared of on a Sunday lunchtime in convoy when reception was closed, I don’t think any money was paid. I think the site owner was glad that they were going. The spawns were a nightmare.

spongy
That was a Funster Mini Meet..... :oops:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Our L-A are currently storing up trouble for themselves. Which will inevitably cost the Council tax payers Big Time. A bunch of P888y`s have managed to purchase a plot of land, which has already been refused Planning (twice). Have hardened the ground and moved 5 or 6 Vans and a 40ft Static "Holiday home", set up toilet shower block etc;. They have applied for and been refused retrospective permission, for a Permanent site. Those who live nearby, including several businesses and a Pub, are "Not Happy", and want them gone.

What we now look forward to (Not) is the cost to us taxpayers, of a potential "Dale Farm" situation. Years of costly litigation etc;. OR the council will throw in the towel and allow an ILLEGAL development retrospectively!. Some where along the line of course the "race" card will be played.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
We've travelled around France quite extensively and last few days have journeyed North from Cadiz to our current site near Lemans.
We've noticed many Gypsy encampments on our travels, all of them on scrappy plots of land that dont look too welcoming.
We've never seen Gypsies on a French Aire though?
Why dont the Gypsies take advantage of free French Aires???
A lot of the big towns provide sites for Gypsy, Romanian travelling community. They also travel in convoys of fairly large groups so probably won't all fit on one normal sized aire. I have parked up next to some on occasions and never had a problem, in fact I felt quiet safe thinking no one would want to mess with them.

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Tried to get on an Aire at Saarlouis in Germany last autumn, full of gypsies. We moved on !

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
We tried to stop at St Maure De Touraine free aire in December and it had been taken over by gypsies

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
I was down at Le Mans about 5 years ago with a group of mates and as we arrived at our campsite in a small village about 30 mins from the track we noticed gypsies on an Aire nearby. We thought “oh great” all our equipment and tents would be left whilst at the racing, two cops pulled up and spoke to them and they were nearly knocking each other over to get their vehicles shifted. God knows what they threatened them with but it worked as they were not seen again.

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Shame the old bill haven't got that clout over here!

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Spring and summer see me now being very anxious just with the thought they could succeed in breaking in once more! :mad:

I thought we were invited guest`s when we stayed at your stadium with our RV and trailer or was it a 5th wheel.., Frankie.... ?

And I did not mean to churn your manicured lawn up the way I did.. :blush::blush:

And I can assure you we took our poo away with us... :wink::rofl:

:hugs::lips::lips:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back