Why Motorhome Parking Petitions are not worth signing (1 Viewer)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Government has responded to the petition – “create allocated overnight parking areas for motorhomes & campers across the uk”.

Government responded:

Local authorities are responsible for determining local parking provision and they should take account of existing and projected levels of parking demand when developing local parking policies.

In 2015 the Department for Communities and Local Government published statutory guidance outlining how local residents and firms can petition their council to undertake a formal review of parking policies in their area, with councillors then voting on the action to be taken. Further information is available at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/right-to-challenge-parking-policies.

Department for Communities and Local Government

We now have "Hands off Government" so we need to be directing our efforts as the government has directed.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know how many times this has come up but the answer is always going to be the same, not a cat in hells chance:(

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I got a similar result to the petition I started 11 years ago. I keep saying to people who start these petitions to government they are aiming at the wrong people. At least this one give a link to how to go about contact the relevant people.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Me too.
The activity/industry is poorly represented whether at national or local level. Except for some very excellent work done by individuals there is no real body with a voice. For instance the manufacturers don't appear to care, the m/home mags rely on campsite advertising, and the C&MC and C&CC are actually campsite operators. The only independent voice would appear to the MCC, and they also have a national and local structure, however I am not sure where they stand on provision of "Aires". They will rightly say its up to the membership to push, and individual members to be active, and work on their committees to champion aires to local authorities and private land owners.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Think about this a bit, the councils can only just find enough parking for cars, and the prices they charge they are doing very nicely thank you, so why are they going to bother about motorhomes, they arrive with all they want on board , no need to go shopping whereas the people in cars will be eating out or going for their stuff from local shops.
Setting up separate parking costs money and needs to have twice the size bays so if they can get say a tenner a day for a car bay motorhome space would have to be twenty quid to compete, plus you then have the fact not all motorhomers are on here, and will leave litter and god knows what else, and it's open to abuse by , travelers, then you have the campsites complaining, and all manner , you could go on and on,
But the fact remains we are a small island with very few places to build Aires compleatly different to somewhere like France.
No it just ain't goin to happen.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
There was provision in the Code for Motorway and major road service area regulations, for Service Areas to provide facilities such as parking, water and toilet dumping for Caravans/Motorhomes, however there are only two MSA have dump facilities in the whole network. Local authorities have closed the few that there were off the network in car parks, as well as toilet facilities.

After the Conservative/Lib Dem Coalition's, "bonfire of red tape", the attitude of government changed to being "Hands Off" and delegating responsibility to local government or anyone else they could dump responsibility onto.

They relaxed the code, so that non parking, commercial activities could be undertaken on the inadequate MSA parking. DFT handed over responsibility to MSA operators for maintenance and any future development on their sites.

There was also provision in the old regulations for continental type (picnic provision) areas for parking, but this was written out and any development had to be paid for by the company that undertook to develop and run them. Parking charges were allowed including Motorway and major road picnic areas to pay for these potential developments. The result is rundown service areas incapable of handling. the present never mind future, volume of traffic.

This is not the only way this "hands off" approach has lead to disaster. Grenfell for instance where building regulations were relaxed.

Getting such a regime to issue any directive as requested, now, is pie in the sky.

I spent close on 10 years trying to persuade local authorities (over 400+ in all parts of the UK) to undertake such provision. However many will sign a petition, but very, very few will do anything else other than be keyboard warriors.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I think this applies to most e-petitions.

I seem to remember around 2 million " real" people demonstrated in London against the Iraq war, and we know what happened.

So what chance does a motorhome parking petition have?

Andrew

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Is there an economic argument for them, the french and german authorities seem to think so. Its built around getting tourism into towns and retailers /food and beverage suppliers benefitting. There are a few UK councils who are willing to give it a go, is there any evidence from these councils of the economic benefit they have created?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If I paid U.K. council tax, I certainly wouldn't want the money going to provide parking for folk out of town. I'd want it spent properly.
Absolutely was going to put that in my last post but didn't want to fan any flame of my grumpyness :whistle:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We have it in our own hands as to the provision of overnight parking.

We should be looking to the various sporting clubs (Think, Football, Rugby, Cricket) who invariably are on the edge of towns, villages.
They invariably have parking, fresh water, and grey water, sewerage. They probably would appreciate a nightly fee.

They could be created as Motorhome specific Aires under the MotorhomeFun flag.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots

We should be looking to the various sporting clubs (Think, Football, Rugby, Cricket) who invariably are on the edge of towns, villages.
They invariably have parking, fresh water, and grey water, sewerage. They probably would appreciate a nightly fee.

The Gypos would be first in.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Now that is something I can agree with

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The Gypos would be first in.
How come they can operate continental style Aires in Ireland north and south and on the continent, without that problem. It is our governments attitude to anyone following a nomadic lifestyle that is the real problem. Our authorities can think no further than licenced caravan sites.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm surprised Tesco hasn't seen the opportunity to put a few service points in their car parks as most are empty at night and they have their fingers in pretty much everything else

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
How come they can operate continental style Aires in Ireland north and south and on the continent, without that problem. It is our governments attitude to anyone following a nomadic lifestyle that is the real problem. Our authorities can think no further than licenced caravan sites.
I don't care. I want my taxes to benefit me and those in my town. Not outsiders who demand something for free.

Can I have the money in your wallet ?

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I'm surprised Tesco hasn't seen the opportunity to put a few service points in their car parks as most are empty at night and they have their fingers in pretty much everything else
At one point TESCO were happy for the odd van to park overnight, with the store managers permission, but again our authorities insist on licenced caravan status for any such provision, with all the added extras which are not needed for a simple night halt.

OP
OP
John & Joan

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I don't care. I want my taxes to benefit me and those in my town. Not outsiders who demand something for free.

Can I have the money in your wallet ?
By using an exemption with a private organisation your tax money would not be used. The local traders could benefit though.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm gonna start a petition for someone to provide me with a place to drink beer for free.

And will jump up and down and wave my arms in the air till I get what I want.
For free.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Btw. If you get what you want, then all is good.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't give a %_€£ about local traders.

But have no time for folk who complain that somebody won't give them something for free.
I wasn't suggesting a free parking in Tesco I was suggesting a system similar to the Aires where you can park overnight and for a few quid fill your tanks drain grey water and empty toilets..... And probably stock up in the store in the morning.
Even our local park and ride doesn't have any spaces big enough to park a motorhome in yet it's never more than 50% full of cars at any given time

It could also easily have a section dedicated to mh parking

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I wasn't suggesting a free parking in Tesco I was suggesting a system similar to the Aires where you can park overnight and for a few quid fill your tanks drain grey water and empty toilets..... And probably stock up in the store in the morning.
Even our local park and ride doesn't have any spaces big enough to park a motorhome in yet it's never more than 50% full of cars at any given time

It could also easily have a section dedicated to mh parking
I often camp in supermarket car parks in Europe with no hassle. Then I fill up with diesel and we're away :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I often camp in supermarket car parks in Europe with no hassle. Then I fill up with diesel and we're away :)
Yep I did that touring France and will likely do it when I head over in the new year I loved the fact it was hassle free

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
15018774004621640697955.jpg

Well we are at Pickering staying over night maybe things like this will put councils off providing parking for the motorhome animals sume dirty b:swear2:d emptying the black wast next to the parking spot disgusting twats
Bill

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is there an economic argument for them, the french and german authorities seem to think so. Its built around getting tourism into towns and retailers /food and beverage suppliers benefitting. There are a few UK councils who are willing to give it a go, is there any evidence from these councils of the economic benefit they have created?

The comparison doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

France and Germany are both big countries with lots of space. Land is relatively cheap and there's plenty of it.

Britain is a small overcrowded island with no space. Land is expensive and scarce.

There's also a different mentality in the way people travel. In this country there is an obsession with getting something for nothing which simply doesn't exist in Europe.

The economic argument doesn't really hold up either. If you just take Fun as a sample for everyone that claims to spend money in the places they visit there is someone else who proudly announces that they do all their shopping in Aldi before they leave home and make it an absolutely unbreakable essential of their trip that they don't pay to park and make sure they don't spend any money at all in the places they visit.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
The comparison doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

France and Germany are both big countries with lots of space. Land is relatively cheap and there's plenty of it.

Britain is a small overcrowded island with no space. Land is expensive and scarce.

There's also a different mentality in the way people travel. In this country there is an obsession with getting something for nothing which simply doesn't exist in Europe.

The economic argument doesn't really hold up either. If you just take Fun as a sample for everyone that claims to spend money in the places they visit there is someone else who proudly announces that they do all their shopping in Aldi before they leave home and make it an absolutely unbreakable essential of their trip that they don't pay to park and make sure they don't spend any money at all in the places they visit.
We have parked up at Skipton it a fiver a night we have just Ben for a meal we have just had coffee in the pub will be buying news papers stuff for breakfast in the morning fresh roles beacon eeg
But we like to give sumthing back
To but I think we are the exception to the rule
Not the usual free lodders
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread