Why me? (Cars pulling out in front of motorhomes) (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's not as if a motorhome is too small to be seen after all - except for PVCs they are almost the size of a bus at the front and the back - so why do some car drivers pull out in front of motorhomes causing hard breaking and a few choice words????? Happened to me today, Nissan Micra Man pulled out of a side road in front of me causing me to have to break hard (and sound the horn) - he then continued at 35 mph (national speed limit 60 mph on that section of the A68 - I was doing 56 before I braked) for a few hundred yards when he pulled into a layby. Maybe the drivers really don't see you. Maybe they misjudge your speed - I wouldn't think much of the chances of a micra if a fully loaded motorhome ploughed into it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
It's not as if a motorhome is too small to be seen after all - except for PVCs they are almost the size of a bus at the front and the back - so why do some car drivers pull out in front of motorhomes causing hard breaking and a few choice words????? Happened to me today, Nissan Micra Man pulled out of a side road in front of me causing me to have to break hard (and sound the horn) - he then continued at 35 mph (national speed limit 60 mph on that section of the A68 - I was doing 56 before I braked) for a few hundred yards when he pulled into a layby. Maybe the drivers really don't see you. Maybe they misjudge your speed - I wouldn't think much of the chances of a micra if a fully loaded motorhome ploughed into it.
It totally pees me off, too. Not just cars but lorries. I always leave a safe, but not exceedingly large, safety distance ahead of me so I can break gently if the need arises..... then the bugger on the inside lane just pulls out and fills it so I am about two feet away from them ..... I am glad I don't have a hidden camera on me in the cab because I sure as heck aint a lady.... It is happening more and more and I do think that being a woman in their side mirror makes them think they dare do it.... :mad:

They know we will break because obviously our mhs are more than just an A to B vehicle.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
No its not just you, the muppets are everywhere and pull out in front of everyone. I had one on the way home from work this evening: me approaching a roundabout when a woman exiting Tescos car park to the roundabout (from the road to my immediate left on roundabout) just sailed straight out without even looking. Thankfully its a slow piece of road so no major issues but frustrating all the same. It gets worse when they do it to me in thhe camper (4.2 tonne Iveco) as I almost always have a 1300KG trailer behind. It is entertaining when you meet a muppet who thinks he can beat you through a narrow gap when he's coming the other way only to find that he couldn't beat you, I'm inclined in those situations to just sit there and be awkward and make them reverse, I do have several more tonnes of motor than they do :)

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It totally pees me off, too. I am glad I don't have a hidden camera on me in the cab because I sure as heck aint a lady.... It is happening more and more and I do think that being a woman in their side mirror makes them think they dare do it.... :mad:

They know we will break because obviously our mhs are more than just an A to B vehicle.
Ah well...... Another illusion shattered........ ;)

Agree with you,though. To be fair, most UK HGV drivers are very courteous and if they indicate I always try and let them out whether we are in the van or the car, but there is always one........ usually some miserable git with a chip on his shoulder about people driving expensive vehicles...

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Re forcing them to reverse, it might have been a Funster who told the story about coming across a car driver on a road not wide enough for it to pass by his RV.
Car driver was insistent the RV reverse. Funster equally insistent it wasn't practical.
Funster went and made a cup of tea and sat in drivers seat visibly enjoying it until the car driver realised he wasn't going to win and did finally reverse.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I know someone who last reversed as part of her driving test (no not me) - since then she either hasn't or gets someone else to do it....... Like most things reversing becomes scary if you don't do it regularly or practice.

My kids hated me taking them out for driving practice when they were learning as I made them reverse and parallel park at least once during every lesson - more if they moaned or didn't get it perfect.

Daughter had to parallel park as part of her test and mistook the space she was supposed to reverse into - did it perfectly (and passed her test) but the examiner said he meant her to park in the larger space further up the street. Daughter replied that she hadn't been sure which space he meant but the big space was no challenge!!!!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I have noticed in Britain there seems to be a fear of being behind a motorhome. Car drivers throw their vehicles out of side roads, onto roundabouts when not really appropriate as they MUST be a few feet in front of a large vehicle.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
It keeps happening to me too, usually little cars, I think they see a Motor home and have to get in front ,thinking that motor homes only go at 30 mph, just like some don't like being behind caravans, perhaps if we were to decorate our vans and put blue lights on the top. :rofl: would that make a difference,? ah!! no we would have to have sirens, I have always wanted a car like the Saint had, push a button and them in front have gone sky high.::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Suffered from this for years. My theory was that they assumed as it was a motorhome it would be going slowly and so they had more space to pull out than they had in reality. Also they didn't want to get stuck behind a vehicle that they thought might be doing less t

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I still get fed up of other idiot drivers and pedestrians with no thought to other road users. A few years ago,I had a Citroen CX GTI. The horn was puny, even when I pressed it, no one really knew I was there. Then, I found a button that changed the puny electro horn into an almightily loud pair of air horns. It was the town and country setting switch.
I used the country setting once.
I was driving quite sedately along a residential road. An elderly lady stepped out into the road in front of me. I knew she had seen me and as she got to the centre of the road, she slowed down to a crawl, while looking at me.....
Aha, thought I, I'll give her a blast of the old air horns.
That woke her up, she ran to the other side of the road and collapsed against a lamp post. I thought she was having a heart attack, so stopped just down the road. When I looked back, she was still hanging onto the lamp post, she looked at me, then started tottering off up the road, so I got back in the car, switched the horn to Town and drove off.

Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Even when you discount all the BMWs and VW Golfs who'll do it by default to everybody, there's still a disproportionate amount of car drivers who do this. It isn't just size though, we had the same problem in our old VW - apparently camper vans of all shapes and sizes are deemed incapable of driving at national speed limits.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
'Magicsurfbus' has it right. There's a trick in recognising WHO will pull out and who won't. Top of the list (not including Funster's with these cars) are Beamers. Almost always, they will pull out on you from a side road. Next on the list are VW Golfs. Golf drivers are ace tail-gaters too. Next comes teenagers in Corsa's (with large bore exhaust extensions).

Rep mobiles are another group. Look for Vauxhall Insignias and blokes with gelled hair!

There's also the ladies who lunch from the 'posh set'. They drive the large Merc MPV's or Porche Cayennes. They have a power-trip psyche and just pull out on everyone!

It's VERY unusual for the over cautious Micra mob to pull out. If they do, they haven't seen you! They are normally the type that stop at roundabouts when no one's coming!

As already stated, many think of the old slow caravan days and they don't want to get stuck behind you. It's also not helpful when programmes like Top Gear reinforce the stereotype.

Got loads of examples of the above on my dash-cam. I even shout at them when I replay the footage!

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I think he probably misjudged my speed and then got a bit shock when he found I was so close - and I used the horn. He may have had brown trousers after hearing the horn and checking his mirror which is why he pulled into the lay-by.

The town local to us is noted for having a car at each entry onto roundabouts and no one being sure who should go first! Drivings tests (yes there is a test centre), no zebra crossings, no traffic lights - but there is a pelican crossing now.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. Personally I think the standard of driving in the country has deteriorated in a lot of aspects. Lets try adding the following:

white line crossing on bends
failing to signal leaving roundabouts
failing to signal - full stop
overtaking, especially approaching roundabouts then braking hard forcing motorhome to break even harder than should have been necessary.
expecting me to do 60 on a single carriageway

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Try driving a car with L plates all over it - they pull out in front of you all the time. Good practice for avoiding them when driving the motorhome. I think it's all part of the same thought process (or lack of proper thought process) - they see a large vehicle or L plates and assume it is going slowly " because it's a learner/motorhome and they always go slow" so "I'll pull out in front so I don't get stuck behind it".

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Get it all the time but don't think some MH drivers do us any favours todling down motorways and HGVs having to pass them which gives an impression of " I will be held up because its a MH"
I now have my hard hat on !!waiting for the flak but sorry if I'm on a motorway I drive at motorway speeds not at 40 - 50 mph like many MH drivers I see

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'd rather have them in front as well JJ - but not as a bonnet mascot! Micra Man not only pulled out in front of me but he didn't pick up speed so not only did I have to drop anchors but then crawl behind him until he turned off.

On motorways I find a speed at which I feel comfortable - not so slow that the HGVs want to overtake (I can do without them threatening to climb into my garage) but not so fast I need to be constantly overtaking every other vehicle. Generally I keep around the same speed as the HGVs and stay in the left hand land, overtaking if there is a long slow hill.

Motorhoming is about pleasure and I don't get any pleasure from driving like I am on a race track - nor do I get any pleasure in annoying other road users by going so slow as to be a nuisance. I try to avoid busy periods (rush hour and bank holidays) as I don't need to travel then and don't want to spend hours sitting at a standstill in heavy traffic.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
My first car was a Morris Minor with an air horn. Happy days.....

I used to have a Mini with a bull roar air horn-- drive slowly along country lanes roaring and all the cows for miles would run along side the hedges trying to find me -

I know ,stupid adolescent stuff:D

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Naughty, naughty Tootles... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But aren't you pleased that you didn't post it? :blush::doh::cooler:

OH YES!! (y)

Early mornings are fun. Being a verbal vulture, I scavenge on dead tit bits from the night before...........:sneaky:

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I must also confess to a penchant for the unintended double entendre... (y)

The source of endless amusement... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
It seems to be a reputation we have and caravans, slow ,in the way, can`t get past , holding all up--

I have tried speeding in the MH in a area ,and no matter how fast i went ,they were all still right up my ass like lemmings.

It seems even if a MH would do 0 to 60 in 4 seconds and speed along at 100 mph everywhere , they would still be up behind moaning about f*****g Motorhomes.

So , tough luck to them(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back