Why me? (Cars pulling out in front of motorhomes) (1 Viewer)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Didn't say there was - but it's a long way to drive through enemy territory. Oh, hang on a minute I'm a Brit, born in England with a mix of Scots, Welsh, Irish and Norse ancestry, plus a Manxer to really mix things up.

Please tell me you aren't insured through 'Confused.com'...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Unintended?

Unintended... as if young man, as if...

If there are double entendres in any of my posts they are not "unintended"! :wink:

Comedy is a serious business.

JJ :cool:
You have never been serious in your life JJ :D:D

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I suspect that most drivers nowadays are too young to have been brought up to having to overtake on single lane each way roads where you had to get out and back in quickly. Now they just pull out into the outside lane and sit there thinking now that I am here I'll overtake that next car as well, a few hundred yards up the road and the next and the next whilst holding up all the traffic behind them. GRRRRRR!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I had a situation last week I had the right of way down a not to wide road with cars parked on the other side of the road picking up children from school, I came around the top round about and stopped to let a couple of cars through as there was no room for me to go until they had passed, I then went ahead down the stretch of road which is about half a mile long nearing the end a lady came and blocked the road off as there was no room for me to pass her, she kindly waved me on into a space a small car wouldn't fit I pointed this out to her she then drove past me on my inside mounting somebodys front grass area to do so, the other cars following her had stopped a distance back behind the parked cars rightly so, BUT a guy on a motorbike had come up behind the womans car and started to have a go at me for blocking the road, I shouted back and told him where to go, he also came up the inside having a kick at my MH on the way my wife managed to get his reg number and I reported it to the local police who visited me the next morning the police woman was going to see him but by this time I had cooled down and there was no damage to the MH so let it drop, it seems he as no record of previous trouble with the police so he was lucky this time. Pete

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The rule of size has been mentioned already.

This behaviour used to hack me off until I started driving artics.
I thought: 1 tonne car v 44 tonnes truck.........come on, see who's safest.
The Insurance covers me and my vehicle.
If they have a death wish it's down to them.
Now, I think as I did then.
Still bloody annoying, though.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Apart form all the above, the other thing that puzzles me is why even the smallest car often pulls over to the middle of the road when turning left when I can can usually make the same manoeuvre from my own lane even in the motorhome.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I had a similar experience of a car trying to get thru a gap that was to small,I had to take a diversion along a very narrow (one width) country road female driver (local) was coming towards me, she even drove past an entrance to a field (passing place) stopped approx two yards in front of the van and started to point and wave at me to reverse, needless to say that me being a proper old fashioned gentleman sat there and smiled, after about ten minutes she realised that I was not going to move so decided to reverse fifteen yards into entrance of field, I gave her a nice big smile and a wave as I passed

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
You want to try riding a motorbike and have some numpty pull out on you, even when you have made eye contact

I agree the standard of driving in this country is on a par with the likes of India now :eek:

Had a plonker try to move into my lane when i was at the side of him last night because the bus lane was approaching.

My big white VW Transporter changed his mind :LOL:

Why do people stop at roundabouts when no traffic is approaching, come to it why do they stop if the traffic approaching hasn't even got close to the white line, one of life's little mysteries

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Never mind cars pulling out, Monday evening on our way home a cyclist just carried on regardless across the road in front of me causing me to anchor up very suddenly. Luckily I was turning left so not going fast and he just rode across the turning without looking and when I sounded my horn to let him know I was there he gave me a middle digit salute! I swung around the central refuge to have a word with him (doing about 2-3MPH) and he just rode off the kerb again straight into the front of my van just as I slammed on the brakes for the second time. As I got out to check he wasn't injured the toerag leapt up and punched me in the gob! Jackie couldn't get a phone signal to call plod so I reported it when we got home. Hopefully the CCTV in the area will have some good images and the cops can ID the git. If I see him again I'm not stopping till he emerges from under the back wheels!

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Don't start me John, we regularly have cyclists of all ages riding DOWN the high street which is one way....UP! They almost all ride on the pavements, I've even seen PCSOs and full coppers step off the kerb to let them pass on the footpath. This particular twonk was mid to late twenties and about forty yards behind his group of mates, one reason I didn't actually rip his head off and crap in his neck, along with the group of bystanders in the nearby bus stop, extensive CCTV in the area and Jackie shouting "put him down".

D.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Forty plus years ago as a tugger - only briefly, honest - we used to experience the puller outers all the time. They obviously thought you were going to hold them up, towing with a three litre Reliant Scimitar, I don't think so :D
Reckon it is still the same, bad enough when they pull out but when you have to spend miles dawdling behind them :mad:

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Forty plus years ago as a tugger - only briefly, honest - we used to experience the puller outers all the time. They obviously thought you were going to hold them up, towing with a three litre Reliant Scimitar, I don't think so :D
Reckon it is still the same, bad enough when they pull out but when you have to spend miles dawdling behind them :mad:
A Funster AND an (ex?) Scimitar owner! Well I'm another one & still have a Scimitar (albeit an SST) :)

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I sometimes wonder if there is a gang of Night-time Nijas who put 'hit me signs' on the front of motorhoomes!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I think this is just the tip of the iceberg. Personally I think the standard of driving in the country has deteriorated in a lot of aspects. Lets try adding the following:

white line crossing on bends
failing to signal leaving roundabouts
failing to signal - full stop
overtaking, especially approaching roundabouts then braking hard forcing motorhome to break even harder than should have been necessary.
expecting me to do 60 on a single carriageway
loads still using phones and texting
reading maps
driving one-handed with arm through window
undertaking
complete ignorance of Nat. speed limits (sticking to 45/50 in 60 limit)
Driving up your bum, necessitating me dabbing breaks to get back
being cut up
speeding passing vehicles that then slow down in front of you drinig below Nat. speed limit

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
It's not as if a motorhome is too small to be seen after all - except for PVCs they are almost the size of a bus at the front and the back - so why do some car drivers pull out in front of motorhomes causing hard breaking and a few choice words????? Happened to me today, Nissan Micra Man pulled out of a side road in front of me causing me to have to break hard (and sound the horn) - he then continued at 35 mph (national speed limit 60 mph on that section of the A68 - I was doing 56 before I braked) for a few hundred yards when he pulled into a layby. Maybe the drivers really don't see you. Maybe they misjudge your speed - I wouldn't think much of the chances of a micra if a fully loaded motorhome ploughed into it.

They do it all the time, I thought I was invisible in a 3.5 tonne van, but no, they want to get in front of what they imagine to be a slow moving vehicle, so they take big risks. In fact it' s a fiat multi jet engine giving 130 bhp and it zips along better than many cars.

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
This will play hell with my heamorrhoids but I shall sit on the fence.
Yes, I am fed up with people pulling out in front of my motorhome.
I am also fed up with being stuck behind motorhomes who do 30mph on an A road that is anything slightly less than arrow straight. As soon as the road is straight and fast, and I could safely overtake, then they take off like a scalded cat such that the people stuck behind them for the last few miles can't get past. Bloomin inconsiderate!!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This will play hell with my heamorrhoids but I shall sit on the fence.
Yes, I am fed up with people pulling out in front of my motorhome.
I am also fed up with being stuck behind motorhomes who do 30mph on an A road that is anything slightly less than arrow straight. As soon as the road is straight and fast, and I could safely overtake, then they take off like a scalded cat such that the people stuck behind them for the last few miles can't get past. Bloomin inconsiderate!!!
I want one of those :D:D

I cannot believe that almost any modern car cannot pass a MH easily and safely whether it's accelerating or not. Unless the driver can't be bothered to use the gearbox (another of my pet hates!).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back