Why is travel insurance so dear in spain (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we are having a week in the algarve in a week or so and looked around for insurance with having my spell in hospital, well found if you put in Europe without Spain it is half as much than if you include Spain , why is this? We are planing to have a bit of a tour into Spain so included it, but why is it so dear?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Maybe because the brits are more likely to get drunk and fall over?

Or maybe because the private health care here is top notch!
To be honest, EHIC card is probably all you need for a short visit and covers emergencies.( and that's free lol!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

To be honest, EHIC card is probably all you need for a short visit and covers emergencies.( and that's free :LOL:!)
Quite agree but Julie was worrying, so went to go compare, and tried it , for ten days with all my declared stuff, it was £15 without Spain , thought this was quite reasonable , so I said we will stop out of Spain but she insisted and it's cost me £34 now.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Quite agree but Julie was worrying, so went to go compare, and tried it , for ten days with all my declared stuff, it was £15 without Spain , thought this was quite reasonable , so I said we will stop out of Spain but she insisted and it's cost me £34 now.
You cant be serious chaser Thirty four quid.:xdoh:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cheapskate:giggler::winky: I'd say that was cheap for peace of mind:xThumb:
Yeah , agree not particularly worried about it , just puzzled why, never tried it before, always had a European yearly one with no declarations, and it only cost me about £50, but will have to have a good look round next year when I want a yearly one again:xangry:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not complaneing , thought it would be way more to be honest, but that's not my point, why is it double just to add Spain to all the rest of Europe?

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Does seem a bit strange, but with so many peeps retiring to Spain in particular I wonder if the medical care profession in Spain has jumped on the Brit bashing bandwagon or probly cos all the youngsters getting pissed and falling over hurting themselves:xdoh:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does seem a bit strange, but with so many peeps retiring to Spain in particular I wonder if the medical care profession in Spain has jumped on the Brit bashing bandwagon or probly cos all the youngsters getting pissed and falling over hurting themselves:xdoh:
Don't know , but it's a bit of a heads up for anyone thinking of touring Europe but not Spain if they are thinking of getting travel insurance.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I often find it funny what someone sees as peanuts and another sees as a lot. Personally I think how many hours does that take me to earn and is it justified. We all earn different amounts so X amount has different meaning to different people.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
so I said we will stop out of Spain but she insisted and it's cost me £34 now.

not particularly worried about it

Not complaneing

This from a guy who Squanders his phone allowance when he could have just leaned over the table......

....... @ianthebuilder please take note
:hi:

2016-09-15 11.42.27.jpg

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Two probable causes for the higher premium:

1. Claims rate history...the more Brits who claim on health insurance whilst visiting Spain, the higher the premiums will be.
The age profile of Brits visiting Spain is I suspect substantially higher than for many other European countries - and medical claims and costs rocket as later adult age increases.

2. Cost of treatment - the Spanish NHS system really is astonishingly good, and extremely advanced technically.
But that drives up the costs of treatment.....a CT scan will cost many many times more than an old style X-ray, etc.
Treating the same accident/illness (a lot better) in a Spanish hospital is likely to cost more than in hospitals in lots of other countries.

Basically, you're statistically a proven bad risk, so you'll be charged more!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I often find it funny what someone sees as peanuts and another sees as a lot. Personally I think how many hours does that take me to earn and is it justified. We all earn different amounts so X amount has different meaning to different people.
I think in anyone's language thirty four pounds is not a kings ransom for ten days touring Europe Ivory.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think in anyone's language thirty four pounds is not a kings ransom for ten days touring Europe Ivory.
No I'm seriously not complaining about the cost, in fact as I said I expected it to be more, it's just the fact that it was twice as much to just add Spain to the rest of Europe that I can't understand.
And to anyone who might be thinking of just going to France or Portugal or whatever but no plans to go to Spain it's worth checking your insurance, because on a year it might be a fair amount.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not complaneing , thought it would be way more to be honest, but that's not my point, why is it double just to add Spain to all the rest of Europe?
I think it is possibly the service that is on offer in Spain chaser. The main tourist resorts in Spain have many big private hospitals where the treatment is excellent, if you need hospital care in a Spanish resort then the chances are you will be treated privately as first option. If you don't want this excellent treatment then don't bother with any additional cover and get treatment in a basic Spanish state hospital. Take a look at Benidorm A&E on the TV it will explain why Spain has a health cost premium.(y)

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
There are more Brits visiting Spain each year than any other European country. So, it stands to reason there are more insurance claims submitted from people visiting Spain. So the British insurance companies are going to charge more to cover the claims. Simples!

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Be careful in your quest to save money.

At the end of last century Mme and I intended to spend 3 weeks in Lanzarote (I know this isn't Spain but it is foreign).

Less than a week into our hols we were walking along the beach and I felt a back "twinge". Next morning awoke as a letter "L", unable to straighten up or get out of bed.

Ambulance took me into local orspital where I spent 7 days in bed barely able to move. Flown home on scheduled planes via Madrid (cheapo charter flights refused to take a stretcher case and no other direct flights to UK). Then private ambulance to Heath road, Ipswich.

Total cost to get home unknown but rumoured to be £10,000 plus - this includes a travelling nurse flown from UK to accompany me and the 12 seats beneath my stretcher on the luggage rack.

Save a few £ if you must but make sure you understand the risk of self insurance. BTW we squandered something like £15-20 on travel insurance.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
A few years ago my wife was treated for 'ticker' problems in the Levente private hospital, Benidorm, and received top notch treatment and care. A room on the forth floor, patio doors leading out to a small balcony. Several of the tests were carried out at her bedside with different equipment brought into her room. No trailing around the different parts of the hospital.
On renewal of the health insurance we fully expected a premium increase or any further 'ticker' problems to be screened out, but no. Everything stayed the same.
The insurance company we use do not require ANY details of past claims/illnesses history.
The only two conditions are that the insured must not travel when medically unfit to do so, and must not travel against medical advice.
The insurance company we have used for several years is Axa PPP Healthcare.
Undoubtedly not the cheapest but it's got to be one of the best for us in our mid 70's.
Happy 2017 to us all and keep 'em wheels rolling. Ed

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

To be honest, EHIC card is probably all you need for a short visit and covers emergencies.( and that's free lol!)
That's fine if you don't have anything go wrong but as some people have found to their cost if you DON'T have travel insurance and need to be repatriated (ill health or death) you're into a major cost situation which you would have to pay, so you simply cannot beat having travel insurance for the small cost, and of course, peace of mind.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Would you mind if I nick that photo for my avatar, please?

I'd be flattered chaser. As long as any income gets me 20%.

If you want the original you'd better give me an email address by PM private message.

Griff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

another conundrum for you to work on. If I want to hire a car in Germany with a UK licence it would be 100€. It I used a Spanish licence , where I'm used to driving on the same side of the road, It was 135€.:unsure:x:-)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
another conundrum for you to work on. If I want to hire a car in Germany with a UK licence it would be 100€. It I used a Spanish licence , where I'm used to driving on the same side of the road, It was 135€.:unsure:x:-)
We have hired a car in Portugal , and it's an extra 10 euros to take it into Spain :doh:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'd be flattered chaser. As long as any income gets me 20%.

If you want the original you'd better give me an email address by PM private message.

Griff
Thanks , this ones fine:xThumb::xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back