Why is my Motorhome eating through clutches! (1 Viewer)

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Hi all…..I have a 2008 Frankia TAG on a 3.0 Ducato engine. I bought it in late February and the clutch burnt out by the time I drove it 120 miles home. It was returned to the dealer and assessed that 1 of the rear brake’s had seized and subsequently over working the clutch. Now under 6 months and approximately 2000 miles later we had to get recovered 300 miles from home and the recovery chap says it is definitely something to do with the clutch. There is a really loud clanging noise when driving or idling and it only stops when you engage the clutch and returns when you release the clutch. I had previously called the last owner as I saw an invoice for a new clutch last year, he says that the clutch plates went whilst driving and I also have amother invoice for a new clutch a couple of years earlier within the paperwork….anybody got any ideas as to why the clutch keeps failing. If my recent incident proves to be the clutch, that will be 4 clutches in approximately 4 years and around 6000 miles……🤬🤬

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Just to add…..in +30yrs of driving, I have ever had to change clutch in any vehicle I’ve owne! The Frankia has 76000 miles on the clock if that makes any difference.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Thanks all, I have not seen any paperwork regarding a remap. But will see if the garage can check.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We had a 2008 Bessacar 765P 3 litre. 4250 kg.The clutch burnt out when trying to reverse up a slight incline as we could not get under a low bridge. (Sign had been knocked down the previous week.) the clutch was replaced under warranty (230 miles from new) the clutch started to slip at 7200 miles in Portugal, managed to nurse it home Fiat at first refused to replace it under warranty. Commissioned an engineer to examine the parts he stated that when the original clutch had been replaced the flywheel wasn’t. He advised that as the clutch slipping had generated extreme heat it has weakened the dual mass flywheel and as a consequence it had failed. (Fiat paid for the repair in full.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Is there any evidence on the invoices that the flywheel was changed at any of the clutch work?

Because you'll have a dual mass flywheel and the noises suggest that the flywheel has failed too
Thanks, I will also ask the garage as all the paperwork is in the van. The van is currently at a recovery depot in Slough via Green Flag, apparently due to the high volume of holiday traffic this summer, the recovery companies are swamped. I have been told that it will get dropped of to the garage that I requested in the next 3-5 working days!

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
We had a 2008 Bessacar 765P 3 litre. 4250 kg.The clutch burnt out when trying to reverse up a slight incline as we could not get under a low bridge. (Sign had been knocked down the previous week.) the clutch was replaced under warranty (230 miles from new) the clutch started to slip at 7200 miles in Portugal, managed to nurse it home Fiat at first refused to replace it under warranty. Commissioned an engineer to examine the parts he stated that when the original clutch had been replaced the flywheel wasn’t. He advised that as the clutch slipping had generated extreme heat it has weakened the dual mass flywheel and as a consequence it had failed. (Fiat paid for the repair in full.
Thanks that’s great info. I avoid reversing wherever possible. Our drive is on a slight slope and I drive up it and actually free wheel backwards in neutral rather than reverse! Thankfully the dealer is sorting out the clutch again.

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
On a similar topic…can anybody recommend a breakdown company? Green Flag we’re an absolute nightmare. We spent over 10hrs waiting at a service station for them. Then when they turned up, the recovery company were expecting a single axle caravan!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I agree with others sounds like the DMF was not changed when the clutch was. The 3 Lt is known for having very high torque which can easily distroy clutches with poor driving techniques.

Also only 6000 miles in 4 years so it's been standing around a lot so the clutch could have stuck to the flywheel damaging it when used after a period of standing.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
On a similar topic…can anybody recommend a breakdown company? Green Flag we’re an absolute nightmare. We spent over 10hrs waiting at a service station for them. Then when they turned up, the recovery company were expecting a single axle caravan!
I think that most are pretty simalar in that they contract out recovery work (apart from AA who have thier own trucks) so you can be wait hours for recovery and if your not with the vehicle, days for it to be delivered from depot.

Cheers James

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
I think that most are pretty simalar in that they contract out recovery work (apart from AA who have thier own trucks) so you can be wait hours for recovery and if your not with the vehicle, days for it to be delivered from depot.

Cheers James
Ok, so it sounds like Green Flag were much of a muchness…..thanks

OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
I agree with others sounds like the DMF was not changed when the clutch was. The 3 Lt is known for having very high torque which can easily distroy clutches with poor driving techniques.

Also only 6000 miles in 4 years so it's been standing around a lot so the clutch could have stuck to the flywheel damaging it when used after a period of standing.
Thanks Lenny, although since the last clutch was fitted, it has been driven regularly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back