LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We're in an aire just outside of Orleans with free overnight parking, water and electricity. It isn't the prettiest of aires and a little noisy from passing traffic but we're not complaining. There are hookups for at least 50 vehicles although there are only about 15 here now.

How is it that the French can and do provide such generous facilities free of charge but if the same was provided in the UK, they would be abused within days.

Jun 22, 2011
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Interesting, can you be specific as to where you are

Thanks

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We're in an aire just outside of Orleans with free overnight parking, water and electricity. It isn't the prettiest of aires and a little noisy from passing traffic but we're not complaining. There are hookups for at least 50 vehicles although there are only about 15 here now.

How is it that the French can and do provide such generous facilities free of charge but if the same was provided in the UK, they would be abused within days.

I think you have just answered your own question !!

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
The French have a way better life than us in the UK. That's my opinion from my experiences of working and living in the EU for many years, and the far east. The UK is an angry place with a high percentage of small minded people.

I don't care what you say about my post... I ain't 'aving it RIGHT!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think you have just answered your own question !!
Not sure about that. I've not seen the same generosity elsewhere and it seems that they are very welcoming - do other towns provide such free facilities apart from the stellplatz mentioned above.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The French have a way better life than us in the UK. That's my opinion from my experiences of working and living in the EU for many years, and the far east. The UK is an angry place with a high percentage of small minded people.

I don't care what you say about my post... I ain't 'aving it RIGHT!

Agreed in many ways but this site isn't exactly a little village grateful for extra tourists. Are they just generous or is it expected that we buy goods from the local retail park?

Trust me, I am grateful but I've never seen such facilities provided for free.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I have been on many that provide free power, water and waste all over France. It's not expected for you to buy local goods either. I stayed on one with all the free services right next to a pay for camp site once.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
A couple of weeks ago, we stayed at a private aire at Blaye: Chateau Marquis de Vauban, a wine producer. They provide a plot, electricity, water and drains, free for up to 48hrs.
They don't expect you to have anything further to do with them.
However, we sampled their wine and were extremely pleased, so bought a case. We then found out that they provide a restaurant. Then we found they have a rather splendid horse drawn carriage in which visitors are transported to the citadel for a small fee and free at weekends (Dammit, we just missed that!). We didn't miss, however, their free trip to the citadel on the company people carrier, where we were treated to nibbles and an aperitif, while hearing about the chateau from the host, and about the other guest's travels.

I can only guess that they profit from the goodwill they generate, and maybe additional sales, restaurant users - so
20170711-104907.jpg
I'll do my bit: Great place, easy access to Blaye Citadelle, The food they offer seemed excellent (unfortunately, we didn't have occasion, this time, to sample it). Our favourite, from the tasting, was their Chateau le Cône Blaye AOC "Le Monarque".

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they started years ago. motor homes werent allowed on camp site in france . they hardly had touring caravans at all. in the late 70,s and 80,s when motorhomes started to get more common in france there really was no where for m,homes to stop . they stopped in carparks etc . but as it grew emptying toilets . rubbish , every thing got bad . so the manufacturers , some clubs contacted councils and got motor home places with toilet drops etc . it went better in the 90,s and by then it was aimed at every town /village should or wopuld have a motor caravan park up. railway stations were used alot . sports grounds etc .
in uk we allowed m,homes on campsites and the caravan club etc said aires werent required and they are against them even now .
i remember going to france as a kid and m,homes were tret like gypies over there . parking by churches etc was another good place .
spain let m,homes on campsite so it wasnt a problem . but again they didnt have many caravans . france spain etc it was all big continental tents . the size of a bungalow .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The french have an inbuilt sense of right and wrong. They have manners and are taught them at an early age. (I've seen them being taught) They have a system of Law that means that the Law says 'Do it' (or don't do it) then the instruction is obeyed. I don't think there's such a thing in relation to 'Travellers' that means they have to go to Court to get someone off your land. The Police will turn up and arrest if necessary. Yes, that can be ar$ey on Aires, particularly when faced with a non french van but they will move heaven and earth to help if you go just a smidgen towards them in language

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
they started years ago. motor homes werent allowed on camp site in france . they hardly had touring caravans at all. in the late 70,s and 80,s when motorhomes started to get more common in france there really was no where for m,homes to stop . they stopped in carparks etc . but as it grew emptying toilets . rubbish , every thing got bad . so the manufacturers , some clubs contacted councils and got motor home places with toilet drops etc . it went better in the 90,s and by then it was aimed at every town /village should or wopuld have a motor caravan park up. railway stations were used alot . sports grounds etc .
in uk we allowed m,homes on campsites and the caravan club etc said aires werent required and they are against them even now .
i remember going to france as a kid and m,homes were tret like gypies over there . parking by churches etc was another good place .
spain let m,homes on campsite so it wasnt a problem . but again they didnt have many caravans . france spain etc it was all big continental tents . the size of a bungalow .

You're Bang On Alan with regard to the 'Club's'??? opposition to Aires.

The Government of the day gave both Clubs a blank cheque when it gave them 'Expert' status when they were drawing up the Caravan Sites Act.
It allowed them to be the be all and end all when it came to issuing Certificates and, all these years later they still run the Industry as a cartel.
It is virtually impossible to get anything up their chain of command to change anything and they see Aires as a challenge to their commercial enterprises.

Motorhomers do not want necessarily to be parked five miles out of town. We are the true tourers in reality. Caravans have become extensions to private homes where you need to book months in advance to place them on a site.

That is why, given any sort of choice, I head for the dock at Plymouth and cross the Channel rather than suffer the hassle that is touring in the UK.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Unless things have changed;
(Note to self. You're starting to type like a member of Le Board de Tourism a la France)
If anyone should venture into the Citadel at Blaye, The ugly Bird (I jest. I don't know who does it in picking the ladies in those establishments but SWMBO has noticed that I start dribbling when talking to those gorgeous creatures and Yes, I know that's a sexist comment)
Anyway, they will provide you with a leaflet that gives directions to about 12 wine growers who expect you to throw yourself on their mercy and allow you to park the 'van up overnight totally without payment and sample their wares. It's like a local version of France Passion without the book, sticker or €30 fee.

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010

Thanks,thats our stopping place for Friday night sorted!(y)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there was a time in the early 60,s we could turn up in spain somewhere near sitges . i only knew it as the elephant campsite . other than just a couple of other m,caravans my mum dad and us as kids and some friends could be the only m,homers . even the germans had enormous continental tents . at the start of summer holidays dad dropped the mum and kids off with the big tents and picked them up weeks later . even us in a vw slitscreen jp. whites devon conversion were looked on as strange . was usually three uk vw,s turn up and folk hadnt seen a camper van back then . my uncle had a vw garage and we used the campers that were demo vans . he then sold them and it was a cheap holiday for him my parents and one of the friends family . 1962 was my first camper holiday abroad.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Probably can afford it because they don't give away as much foreign aid as us or throw benefits at immigrants,,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back