Why have 140 Ryanair pilots left to join norwegian airline... (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would travel by Motorhome over the flights. But we both still work and its cheaper. This years record was £8.74 one way.
First time I flew Ryan was just after my wife died in 2008 . Never flown on my own before, saw an advert fly for £6 so went for it to see my mate in Portugal who had also lost his wife. Wouldn't ever of dreamed of going on my own if it hadn't been for Ryanair. I did learn my lesson very quick though, don't buy the food on the plane, two cheese sandwhichs and a coffee cost me just twice as much as the fare:(
And I have stuck with them every year since. Love Ryanair (y)(y):)

Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
The more people use RyanAir the more of these type of business models will appear. Soon they'll be nothing but dirty sky busses, so if that's what you want then carry on.
The company exploit they're staff with zero hour contracts and none of the benefits that other Airline staff are entitled too.

Think of this before you use them because you saved a few quid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
One thing has put me off low cost airlines is the amount of cabin luggage that people tend to get in the overhead locker. I was sitting in Paphos airport watching an easy jet flight loading for Athens. I could not believe the size and amount of cabin luggage that every passenger was taking on board. What is it like attempting to get your bag in the overhead locker on a full flight. Must be a nightmare.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing has put me off low cost airlines is the amount of cabin luggage that people tend to get in the overhead locker. I was sitting in Paphos airport watching an easy jet flight loading for Athens. I could not believe the size and amount of cabin luggage that every passenger was taking on board. What is it like attempting to get your bag in the overhead locker on a full flight. Must be a nightmare.
DON'T know what they take. 7 t shirts 7 pants and the clothes you have on Tesco bag ample

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I

I've only used Easyjet and Atlantic Airways in recent years but both ask for volunteers willing to put hand luggage in the hold when they're chocka, not a good idea if you're toting a laptop.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I

I've only used Easyjet and Atlantic Airways in recent years but both ask for volunteers willing to put hand luggage in the hold when they're chocka, not a good idea if you're toting a laptop.
Always get that now with ra never took them up on it though. Defeats the object of quick getaway if you have to wait for t-shirts to be unloaded

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Take a look at . The cheap flight song , by Fascinating Aida ,
On YouTube

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Wow! That was quick! Just received my flight refund from Ryanair. Just waiting for compensation now. :D:D:D
Good luck.

They wriggled out of ours by blaming a french atc strike. No other airlines flights were cancelled apart from ryanair, the queue to ryanair customer service desk went right around malaga airport terminal. The other airlines had apparently heeded the warnings and made contingency plans. Ryanair didnt even tell us when we were on the plane, left us sat there like mushrooms. B*st*rds!

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Good luck.

They wriggled out of ours by blaming a french atc strike. No other airlines flights were cancelled apart from ryanair, the queue to ryanair customer service desk went right around malaga airport terminal. The other airlines had apparently heeded the warnings and made contingency plans. Ryanair didnt even tell us when we were on the plane, left us sat there like mushrooms. B*st*rds!
Malaga airport now that has got to be the worst airport in Europe...

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Malaga airport now that has got to be the worst airport in Europe...

I will give that award to Barcelona airport . Was there about 2 years ago. Utter mayhem , how that place functioned is beyond me . Made Heathrow seem like a travellers paradise.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
First time I flew Ryan was just after my wife died in 2008 . Never flown on my own before, saw an advert fly for £6 so went for it to see my mate in Portugal who had also lost his wife. Wouldn't ever of dreamed of going on my own if it hadn't been for Ryanair. I did learn my lesson very quick though, don't buy the food on the plane, two cheese sandwhichs and a coffee cost me just twice as much as the fare:(
And I have stuck with them every year since. Love Ryanair (y)(y):)

Sorry to hear that. How old was your wife ?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I will give that award to Barcelona airport . Was there about 2 years ago. Utter mayhem , how that place functioned is beyond me . Made Heathrow seem like a travellers paradise.
Not had the pleasure of Barcelona yet......:)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
probably the same scenario as most corporate employers,managers badger employees not to take hols to keep the rosters filled and then hr sends out a note saying you cant carry over any hols and everyone wants them before they loose them

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Wow! That was quick! Just received my flight refund from Ryanair. Just waiting for compensation now. :D:D:D

Yep , refund always comes quick. .................................and by accepting it you might well get the " under the terms of the compensation scheme by accepting the refund we have complied with our obligations" email

You should never agree to the refund if you want to argue the toss. Although in this case I don't think they have any way of using " extraordinary circumstances" which is the favourite get out. Good luck though & I hope you take them for thousands.:)

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Mmmm........ almost completely wrong
you have some dates right but the rest is way off

The information isn't from me its from two senior commercial airline pilots (not Ryanair) and one Ryanair pilot, who I assume know what they are talking about. Possibly I misunderstood all three of them ....

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Clear explanation - thank you. Nothing new in O'Leary trying to game the system to his advantage and he usually gets it right. This time he didn't. As for not flying Ryanair, we've used them regularly for 15 years to and from Spain. They are a flying bus company, nothing more or less, but we've had very few reasons to complain about their time-keeping or service. Their customers are worse than the airline frankly.

If you want old-fashioned airline standards, be prepared to pay the price. We can fly to Germany to visit family for around £60 return with Ryanair or pay £260 to do the same trip with Air Berlin, routing via Palma de Majorca which adds 2 hours to the journey.
The point is not their service but their utter disregard for employee working conditions. But so long as convenience comes before morality then people like RyanAir will always have business.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
The point is not their service but their utter disregard for employee working conditions. But so long as convenience comes before morality then people like RyanAir will always have business.
Would have thought air pilots were the most regulated band of workers in the EU. You cant / don't have planes dropping out of the sky cos the driver has dozed off.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Would have thought air pilots were the most regulated band of workers in the EU. You cant / don't have planes dropping out of the sky cos the driver has dozed off.

Your bang on ! And, this is why so many flights are being cancelled. Ryanair makes most of it's profit during it's peak period, May-September and pilots are at their busiest. However, Pilots are tightly regulated and restricted to flying hours by Day, Month and Year. As a result of its poor planning Ryanair found itself with a huge problem and had to send pilots on holiday and hence the sudden announcement of cancelled flights. The 140 pilots who left is a red herring, Ryanair has thousands of them. The 20 million quid it will payout in compensation is a drop in the ocean for this billion pound turnover company.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
From press reports it would seem that Ryanair has been abusing the goodwill of their pilots for years, on the back of rapid promotion to captain.
Their business model is built on screwing down every cost, especially staff. Presently there is a world wide shortage of flight crew so many are taking the opportunity to move away from Ryanairs poor package and onto carriers who appreciate their staff a little more. Presently Ryanair are losing flight crew faster than they can recruit and train.
Sold my Ryanair shares on Friday, after they had done quite well over the past year. I think their problems are quite deep seated and will take some time to fix.
Personally I avoid flying with them whenever possible. Easyjet much more civilised.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
We've only experienced Ryanair once and had already vowed not to repeat the experience but this latest fiasco has merely reinforced our resolve.

It's a cheap airline who treat their passengers just as cheaply, and so it now seems their staff too. I wouldn't believe a word their gobsh*te chief exec Michael O' Liar y utters.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
The information isn't from me its from two senior commercial airline pilots (not Ryanair) and one Ryanair pilot, who I assume know what they are talking about. Possibly I misunderstood all three of them ....
Yep you misunderstood all three of them
You have a PM

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
From press reports it would seem that Ryanair has been abusing the goodwill of their pilots for years, on the back of rapid promotion to captain.
Their business model is built on screwing down every cost, especially staff. Presently there is a world wide shortage of flight crew so many are taking the opportunity to move away from Ryanairs poor package and onto carriers who appreciate their staff a little more. Presently Ryanair are losing flight crew faster than they can recruit and train.
Sold my Ryanair shares on Friday, after they had done quite well over the past year. I think their problems are quite deep seated and will take some time to fix.
Personally I avoid flying with them whenever possible. Easyjet much more civilised.
Yep not far from the truth

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back