LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cos van tyres usually crack up and die rather than wear out..
Put the new ones on the back, wear out the old back ones on the front and then get them replaced.
Chances are good you will never have to replace perfectly good ( looking perfectly good any way ) tyres due to old age :)

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Basically because the more worn tyres will hydroplane first and it is better for the van to understeer (front tyres lose grip first) than oversteer (rear tyres lose grip first) as an oversteer could cause the van to spin around completely

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
I am just about to replace the front two tyres on my MH (Bessacarr E495 - 4005 kg Gross) and for safety reasons I'm putting on exactly what the manufacturers recommend in the handbook and are on the vehicle as supplied by Fiat: Continental Vanco Camper 225/75 R16 CP.

Expensive, yes, but my family will be travelling in it.

I'd rather go with the recommendations of the manufacturer than risk listening to the opinion of someone's anecdotal opinion on a forum!

In this case 'you pays your money, you takes your chance'!

KH

You seem to have fallen for the same trick I did, my brand new Merc E class came fitted with Continentals, my guess is they put on the make of tyre from the cheapest source, i.e. who gives them the best deal ........to hook you in.

The tyres were crap, so much for the recommendation of the manufacturer, I had six, yes six! split on the side walls
All refunded by the Merc recommended supplier, Continental

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
I wonder if anyone can help me, I have Conti Vanco campers on the front and back with the front between 3-4mm left. ( 23,000ish miles) and the back look nearly new.

As the van is nearly 5 old and I was wondering if I should need to replace all 4.

Does anyone know where the production date is on the Conti camper tyre to see how old they actually are

Cheers

Bob

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We have continental 4 seasons 2 all around and have no probs with pretty good field traction too.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
my guess is they put on the make of tyre from the cheapest source, i.e. who gives them the best deal ........to hook you in.

you quoted me out of context :(

Yes, exactly...

KH

I now don't get seduced by clever advertising and manufactures poor recommendations, I am pleased to say I can make an informed decision and I try not to be led astray by the likes of Fiat, who are to say the least slightly gash when it comes to engineering choices, i.e. VOSA recalls, fuel filters, gearbox judder, steering rack, ECU software..., scuttle....... the list goes on and on with Fiat [Fix It Again Tomorrow ]
Still everyone to their own, enjoy your Continentals and fingers crossed they don't end up in the same place as mine did [part worn, split and in the bin x6]

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Basically because the more worn tyres will hydroplane first and it is better for the van to understeer (front tyres lose grip first) than oversteer (rear tyres lose grip first) as an oversteer could cause the van to spin around completely
Spot on and good tyre fitters will insist on this
Costco for one will not put the new ones on the front

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back