why exclude tuggers (4 Viewers)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
my set up is shorter than many big m,homes -rv,s .certainly shorter than most caravan set ups .

Bet your set up is not as quick as mine. I have the hookup lead on the passenger seat. It comes out with me and gets plugged straight in. That's me setup :winky:::bigsmile:.

Nothing more for me to do ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Bet your set up is not as quick as mine.[HI] I have the hookup lead on the passenger seat.[/HI] It comes out with me and gets plugged straight in. That's me setup :winky:::bigsmile:.
Nothing more for me to do ::bigsmile:
Do you not get complaints from your passengers.:Sad:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi grommet .what are you on .whats an hook up . i never hook up . solar powered .
i stop and thats it . nothing to drop open the door and cook what ever . hook up cant believe you really think i need hook up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have seen tuggers moved off aires.
On one occasion a small motorhome turned up towing a caravan. After copious discussions in French, they were allowed to stay, on condition they didn't sleep in the caravan, though I doubt if anyone checked ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have seen tuggers moved off aires.
On one occasion a small motorhome turned up towing a caravan. After copious discussions in French, they were allowed to stay, on condition they didn't sleep in the caravan, though I doubt if anyone checked ::bigsmile:
So is it the motorhomers who don't want to share the aires with tuggers or is it the authorities. From what I have read in this thread it is the attitude of the motorhomers who are policing the aires and rejecting tuggers.:whatthe:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Aires are provided by the councils for Camping Cars not caravans.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they can also be private and some are owned by commercial outlets . some big supermarket chains have them on their carparks so hopefully you use the store.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
So is it the motorhomers who don't want to share the aires with tuggers or is it the authorities. From what I have read in this thread it is the attitude of the motorhomers who are policing the aires and rejecting tuggers.:whatthe:

In the example I quoted it was the authorities in the form of the bods from the town council who collected your cashwho didn't want the tuggers to stay. I don't know why as the aire in question (not a free one) had toilets and showers so it wasn't a matter of needing on board facilities.
Maybe they think tuggers stay too long, some aires only allow a max of 48hrs stay, but you're right in that French motorhomers are very hot on keeping tuggers off the aires.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008

The Clue is in the name "Aire de Camping Cars":thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
hi grommet .what are you on .whats an hook up . i never hook up . solar powered .
i stop and thats it . nothing to drop open the door and cook what ever . hook up cant believe you really think i need hook up.

Don't need it but if there that's all I need to do.

Everything in the van is in it's own place right next to where I need it and goes back after use.

Ok, If I am wilding nothing to do at all :winky:::bigsmile:

Plus at just under 6mtrs long I bet I can get places you can't:notworthy:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Have another look at the question Mr Colpot.

My answer to the question is - they are not being excluded - they were never included in the first place. You make it sound like it is the Motorhomers that exclude the Caravanners - the Aires are built/run by the local Council and it is up to them who they build/run them for.

In answer to the question - should Caravanners be allowed to use the Aires? - I would still say no - they are not designed for them.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My answer to the question is - they are not being excluded - they were never included in the first place. You make it sound like it is the Motorhomers that exclude the Caravanners - the Aires are built/run by the local Council and it is up to them who they build/run them for.

In answer to the question - [HI]should Caravanners be allowed to use the Aires? - I would still say no[/HI] - they are not designed for them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
[HI]The Clue is in the name[/HI] "Aire de Camping Cars":thumb:

same as the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club ?

If a caravan has on-board waste and fresh water tanks .. what's the difference... ?

In any case, it's a false argument, not all campers have grey tanks.. some don't don't even have toilets .. should they be excluded from aires. ?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Colpot Link Removed
The Clue is in the name "Aire de Camping Cars":thumb:

[HI]same as the Caravan Club and the Camping and Caravan Club[/HI] ?

If a caravan has on-board waste and fresh water tanks .. what's the difference... ?

In any case, it's a false argument, not all campers have grey tanks.. some don't don't even have toilets .. should they be excluded from aires. ?
Great answer:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just for interest ..

The CC was founded in 1907 but it wasn't until 1967 that a motion to allow motor caravanners to become members of the Club is carried..

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Just for interest ..

The CC was founded in 1907 but it wasn't until 1967 that a motion to allow motor caravanners to become members of the Club is carried..

Ok, but you are talking two different entities here, a club is different to an Aire surely? If you wanted to change the rules in a club you can lobby and vote, if you want to change the rules regarding Aires you would have to lobby all the Owners. You could set up a rival Aire in a town and open it for Caravanners (if the Laws allow) and when the other Aire Owners see how popular (or not) it is they may want to change the way they operate.

And what about France Passion?.......................................

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ok, but you are talking two different entities here, a club is different to an Aire surely? If you wanted to change the rules in a club you can lobby and vote, if you want to change the rules regarding Aires you would have to lobby all the Owners. You could set up a rival Aire in a town and open it for Caravanners (if the Laws allow) and when the other Aire Owners see how popular (or not) it is they may want to change the way they operate.

And what about France Passion?.......................................

Indeed, fully agree , but I posted merely to point out that a name doesn't necessarily mean exclusion and rules can be amended.

Have never used FP do they exclude caravans.. or is it left to the owners discretion ?

In France, "Camping à la ferme" (farmers who offer a small area for camping, with a maximum of six pitches;) allow all types of recreational vehicles.. including tents.

also "aire naturelle de camping" no exclusions

I guess you need to be passionate to use France Passion .. :roflmto:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Many aires are just not suitable for caravans as access because of length is impracticle. We have stayed on many with a 28ft and 32ft RV and we had no problem ,with toad it would not work, when we are in France we take bikes.
We have been to many aires including Stenay and Reims both of which would be difficult if not impossible for a car and caravan .

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Pure speculation on my behalf but don't the French have significantly more Camping-Cars v caravans than we do? Like 80-20 as compared to 40-60. I'm guessing and making up the figures.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Many aires are just not suitable for caravans as access because of length is impracticle. We have stayed on many with a 28ft and 32ft RV and we had no problem ,with toad it would not work, when we are in France we take bikes.
We have been to many aires including Stenay and Reims both of which would be difficult if not impossible for a car and caravan .

Not been on Reims but did visit Stenay, twice with the RV and trailer.. and it also has plenty of space for caravans across the canal where the toilet block is. click on place marker for picture http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207590977793691629247.00045c1ab0c50bf957c9d&msa=0&ll=49.50381,5.201683&spn=0.115712,0.338173

but you are correct, many aires would be far too small, we found it difficult with the RV + Trailer.. but not impossible.. I have a Google map that shows aires that can accommodated the largest outfits.. by no means complete, there will be many more..

Aires and Sites suitable for large motorhomes

I understand why they (caravans) are excluded from aires.. (fairly certain it was to keep the Gypsies out), they were made specifically for camping cars for overnight stops .. not camping per se. and there are plenty of other facilities (in France) for caravans, as mentioned, Camping La Ferme; Aire Naturelle de Camping; Municipal sites etc .. far more than we have in the UK .

Traditionally caravanning in France is a family seasonal thing, so not a lot of use out of school holidays hence why most sites close in winter.. whereas camping cars are used all year round and most aires are open 365.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it is bad enough at a show

Why let them in. Sometimes the queue to empty the waste is long enough - imagine waiting while a tugger positions their Van over the drain!

We were on an Aire at Le Crotoy and a Tugger came in. He had barely stepped out of the Car before he was asked to leave.

It is bad enough at a show when you get a 36' RV then a 28' RV (Rick's - Motor Romin followed by Si - Dodgey) at last years Bath and West.. there I was this small RV at 23'9" miles back and my macerator hose is not that long....

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I was, so I hang my head in shame

objection m'lud

this is prejudicial .. have a word will ya Bob.. one day you may also be a tugger :winky:

It is true Jim, not might be one day, but was in the past had a Buccaneer, pulled it with a Dodge Ram 250 Day van...

Prejudicial does not count.. just common sense .. keep them out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You are not trying to introduce the Human Rights Act are you Jim?:Blush:

Need to find some more bate and hooks........

Bob:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I just hit the genny start switch

I just hit the genny start switch by the sink.. simples..

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you stand no chance Buttons VW excluded as well

You stand no chance Buttons, they exclude commercials and a VX is a commercial.

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I agree Larry

We have found it hard going at 23'9" even with the smaller trailer for the scooters, I know I could not get in some with the car trailer... even a lot of cam sites I have to unhook and leave the trailer in another areas.. some I can then get the car on the pitch otherwise the car sits on the trailer until needed.

Bob

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
It is bad enough at a show when you get a 36' RV then a 28' RV (Rick's - Motor Romin followed by Si - Dodgey) at last years Bath and West.. there I was this small RV at 23'9" miles back and my macerator hose is not that long....

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
So whose RV did you connect it to, then?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Just had to wait

So whose RV did you connect it to, then?

Some might say that certain people have a lot of Sh** to get rid of.. the bigger they are the more they have.. took for ever.. certainly the last motor home to leave from our side of the site...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It will be worse this year, Rick is now 40' long.. but it will not matter as we hope to be in France for September.

Bob:winky:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You stand no chance Buttons, they exclude commercials and a VX is a commercial.

Bob:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Too many Ism's on Aires for me Bob, anyway I don't need them, I can safely stop anywhere. You have forgotten that my van is totally stealth, I could sleep in the shadow of your pantechnicon and you would never know. :winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi buttons . i like to think mine is stealth as well . i usually park up where ever i want hardly ever get asked to move . i,m sure most just see a truck. must get round to repainting the door on the side though .hee hee . but it works for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back