Why don't you see more women driving? (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
You're very welcome @Wildge - though I can't take any credit... that belongs to you! (y) Well done, every right to be chuffed! :D

angelaa

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Southport
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
I drive ours all the time. Husband doesn't like driving it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have driven ours on a couple of occasions and enjoyed doing so but have a chronic back problem, which made reaching and operating the handbrake virtually impossible. Bernie fitted an extension to it just in case I should need to drive in an emergency, but it pulls up at an angle away from the driver's body, and I just can't operate it (the back, again!).... back to the drawing board! To be honest, he loves doing the driving, he's a dreadful navigator and I'm a good one (his opinion as well as mine!). Its a bit frustrating that I can't take breaks away locally with my Mum or offspring, unless Bernie can take us there and bring us back though, all for the sake of a handbrake!

See if he can find a Kia Sedona with a foot operated handbrake. Just put it on with your foot & there is a small lever you can pull with 2 fingers to release. Wouldn't take that much to modify I wouldn't have thought.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Perhaps that's why I've never had to fit a clutch. My current car has 177,000 on the clock and towed the caravan thousands of miles and is still on the original clutch

I have always had high mileage cars (except for the latest) and have never had to have a clutch replaced in 42 years of driving. The last car had 200,000+ miles on it, original clutch but was starting to show signs of needing replacement sooner rather than later. As it also needed timing belt changing, power steering motor needed work etc etc we decided to change the car. The new car is automatic so we will see how the clutch lasts. I do love the automatic and the next van may well have auto gear change as well......

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Mrs F hates the idea of driving the MH, not keen on large vehicles. I've had years of driving large vehicles and I make an awful passenger.

Seems sensible that I drive then really, although I'm sure she'd be fine if she tried. We've both got "grandfather rights" and she is insured to drive it, as it didn't cost any extra I thought she might as well be, just in case of emergencies. We are at the younger end of the scale, if you can really call being in your mid 40's that!!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Mrs F hates the idea of driving the MH, not keen on large vehicles. I've had years of driving large vehicles and I make an awful passenger.

Seems sensible that I drive then really, although I'm sure she'd be fine if she tried. We've both got "grandfather rights" and she is insured to drive it, as it didn't cost any extra I thought she might as well be, just in case of emergencies. We are at the younger end of the scale, if you can really call being in your mid 40's that!!

Mid 40's......that's still infancy to some!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I will happily drove our Rollerteam 707 but my husband sets the Mpg on the dash.........say no more.

plumbomb

Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
This is our first MH, it's still my toy but my Wife drove our caravans with the kids when I took the motorbike. If she wanted to drive it she would.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have always had high mileage cars (except for the latest) and have never had to have a clutch replaced in 42 years of driving. The last car had 200,000+ miles on it, original clutch but was starting to show signs of needing replacement sooner rather than later. As it also needed timing belt changing, power steering motor needed work etc etc we decided to change the car. The new car is automatic so we will see how the clutch lasts. I do love the automatic and the next van may well have auto gear change as well......

The new car is automatic so we will see how the clutch lasts !! ??

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Well I drive ours, as him indoors, is still waiting for
the great and the mighty at DVLA ...... :clap2:
may their name be forever praised:notworthy2: ................to get their act together.
I can' t wait ::bigsmile: :whistle2:
'cos he never learnt to map read in the Cubs......and don't get me started on sat nav.:swear2:
Jude
When Satnav says turn right here Jude
it doesnt mean the nearest gateway:whistle:

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Many moons ago, she was a tugger, but now she says she's lost confidence and wont even attempt to drive the moho. I've asked her what she intends to do if for some reason I'm incapacitated when we're out and about but to no effect. It would be nice to be a passenger sometimes and be able to admire the view as we travel but it seems I'm stuck with the driving for the foreseeable future.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
When we first met, MrsC was a very good driver, and she could read a map. One of the few people with whom I felt perfectly comfortable while sitting in the passenger seat. She didn't hang about either.

Sadly, the progression of her MS over the years has affected not only her physical ability, but also her spacial awareness & her concentration. So not only can she no longer drive, but her navigation skills have suffered. So I now do all the driving & have invested in a satnav. But it's a poor substitute for someone who really knows how to use a map.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I know a fair few ladies who drive larger vehicles or who have had extra driver training and they too would undoubtedly be comfortable driving a motorhome.
If I could persuade ms sdc77 to take more training I would ..

You seem to be saying that women need extra driver training to be comfortable driving a motorhome. Why would this be the case? Surely women who've passed their test would be likely to drive the same vehicles as men and be no better or worse than them driving something bigger?

I don't feel fazed by any vehicle and enjoy driving - the higher the cab the better!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
My daughter drives for Royal Mail and when she did the test required to drive their vehicles she had the highest pass score ever. She also drove limos for a while as a temp job.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Why don't you see more women driving?

......because of the Power of the Mind...........

............................Most men simply Will it that way........:Eeek:

.........:Eeek:Look into my Eyes, my eyes.......

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
my wife drives me round the bend quite often, but never learnt to drive a car so no licence.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Jackie is insured for all our vehicles, including the Trike, she is not confident with the new Van 8.5 metres or the old one come to that at 7.5 m, she has driven it though, once at Dorset meet in the field and once for about 12-15 miles of the M5 down just North of the M4.

Not helped by LHDrive.

IMG_0933_640x480.JPG

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
My wife has driven Robbie a whole 70 miles :Eeek:
I'm not a good passenger either and as above LHD and length doesn't help Jacs

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
You seem to be saying that women need extra driver training to be comfortable driving a motorhome. Why would this be the case? Surely women who've passed their test would be likely to drive the same vehicles as men and be no better or worse than them driving something bigger?

I don't feel fazed by any vehicle and enjoy driving - the higher the cab the better!
Nope yore mistaken.. I was referring to the lady in the quote being comfy driving fire engines and motorhomes.
But as you mention it a bit of extra driver training for anyone driving larger vehicles is probably a good idea.
My other half does not like driving anything larger than a car and may benefit from training ... I think she's content as things are though

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
I'm well over 50 and drive ours 98% of the time ,he likes to navigate and so we are both happy.What is strange is that if it's a horseboxit's always women driving!!!!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I'm well over 50 and drive ours 98% of the time ,he likes to navigate and so we are both happy.What is strange is that if it's a horseboxit's always women driving!!!!
Tell me about it. Flipping horseboxes cause more hold-ups than anything....:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back