Why don't my 12v electrics work when set to VEH and my ignition is on? (1 Viewer)

seek80

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Recent re-joiner
First time out in our 2006 Compass Avantgarde 160 - with the ignition/engine off, all of the 12v electrics work, however when the ignition is switched on, and the mode selection is veh or aux, the electrics don't work.
Any ideas - no clues in the handbook as to alternative switches to flick or incantations to chant.....

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Quite a few MH switch off the hab 12 v system with ignition. A thread a few days ago stated it maybe about having to testing for electrical interference when engine running. Costs are too high to test each circuit so easier to switch them off. Some say it is about safety. I think it is mainly Brit vans that do this though.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
smiley-hello-clipart-1.jpg.gif
Ours is like that too. I think its for safety reasons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It a British built MH thing! Totally unnecessary but our major manufacturers for some reason do this ... its a ruddy nuisance and one thing I was more than happy to 'lose' when we got a German built camper! There's nothing wrong with your camper, it's meant to be like that.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Its done to attain National Caravan Council (NCC) approval which appears to be the holy grail to British converters, it is not law.

NCC = A load of suits who decide what should and shouldnt be required in a caravan or motorhome.
Only applies to British built caravans and motorhomes.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It is a bit of a pain. We don't travel much in the dark but when we do our daughter is in the dark behind us with a blinking torch.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

seek80

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Recent re-joiner
Thanks for the swift responses everyone that sort of puts my mind at rest - seems odd that the original handbook that came with the van says nothing about this and implies that you can run your fridge whilst travelling!

Anyone know how to bypass the restriction?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for the swift responses everyone that sort of puts my mind at rest - seems odd that the original handbook that came with the van says nothing about this and implies that you can run your fridge whilst travelling!

Anyone know how to bypass the restriction?

You can run the fridge while travelling. Depending on the model of fridge it will either change over on its own or there will be a selector switch on it giving you the options of gas, 230v or 12v. The 12v setting is for when you are travelling and when the engine is running. Do not try and use it at any other time or you will flatten the engine battery.

Bypassing the cut off is relatively simple depending on your ability with electrical systems.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
You can run the fridge while travelling. Depending on the model of fridge it will either change over on its own or there will be a selector switch on it giving you the options of gas, 230v or 12v. The 12v setting is for when you are travelling and when the engine is running. Do not try and use it at any other time or you will flatten the engine battery.

Bypassing the cut off is relatively simple depending on your ability with electrical systems.
Nick, I don't think the 12v option is available without the engine actually running as the idea is to change to gas or 230v.(n)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nick, I don't think the 12v option is available without the engine actually running as the idea is to change to gas or 230v.(n)

I know that's the idea. I'm sure on some vans though if you leave it on 12v it will keep drawing from the engine battery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

seek80

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Recent re-joiner
OK guys - thanks.
That makes more sense and I will try the fridge on our return journey just to make sure that it will work on 12v!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
OK guys - thanks.
That makes more sense and I will try the fridge on our return journey just to make sure that it will work on 12v!

It won't chill down from scratch very quickly on 12v. It's really only intended to maintain the temperature. I guess you'll be fine on a return journey but the next time you go away switch it on using gas, or even better 230v (EHU) if you can manage it, the day before you go.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back