chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am not a most I am a me, and I can change a wheel if required but also have breakdown cover to do it when I don't want to. And 40k to some is 100k to ours, to me a tenner is a case of beer:Smile:
Steve

That's not my point never ment you can't change a wheel yourself but was talking about a van that no one can change the wheel on because of the design.
Maybe my wording wasn't quite right in my op , I was not criticising anyone for spending whatever they want but the fact that when you are spending anything upto 100k on something surely it should be right without having to put doors back on or looking for damp , ok some say it's being put right, but it should not be wrong in the first place, you want to be out in your van not have it back at the manufactures being put right and when you are talking that sort of money it's even more so .
Someone said they spend that much to get a new van but there are plenty secondhand vans for that sort of money as well

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I tried that argument. I wanted a used Hobby 750, and said the toilet would be no different to one in an older house.
That sort of logic doesnt work I'm afraid.

I dont think she ever goes to the toilet if we go to a hotel, not that we do now anyway.

Allan

The loo problem is easily overcome.

Just buy a new cassette and it comes with a new loo seat.:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
yeah, I quite agree with the OP...

Paul & his £39995 motorhome. :thumb:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The loo problem is easily overcome.

Just buy a new cassette and it comes with a new loo seat.:winky:

If only life was that simple. We would have needed a new mattress for the fixed bed too and as I didn't have to dip my hand in my picket, I gave in gracefully......

Allan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This years new is 2020's second hand.

All too often this years new is next year's second hand. There are masses of near new ones second hand for whatever reason.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It's funny isn't it that the wives have quite a say on the type of motorhome you get and yet are probably ignored when it comes to car selection.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
All too often this years new is next year's second hand. There are masses of near new ones second hand for whatever reason.

Yes I have noticed that.

An expensive mistake to make.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Yes I have noticed that.
An expensive mistake to make.

Mistake or choice, whatever, it's a good for the rest of us.

18 months ago I bought a 20 month old bike, 1400 miles on the clock with a saving of 1/3rd off new price and still 16 months warranty.

We bought the MH at 4 years old and 4000 miles. Oven had never been used. Just one small crack in rear bumper. Probably about the same saving.

That's they way to do it, in my humble opinion.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Mistake or choice, whatever, it's a good for the rest of us.

18 months ago I bought a 20 month old bike, 1400 miles on the clock with a saving of 1/3rd off new price and still 16 months warranty.

We bought the MH at 4 years old and 4000 miles. Oven had never been used. Just one small crack in rear bumper. Probably about the same saving.

That's they way to do it, in my humble opinion.

It's definitely the way to do it. Same with cars.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've bought two brand new cars in the past.

First was a Skoda Fabia when they were first on the market so no second hand ones - would have kept it longer than we did but it got bent.

Second was a Citroen Berlingo when we needed a load carrier - never meant to get a new one but it was February and there were good deals on prior to the number change - kept it for nearly 8 years and traded it in when we no longer needed the load capacity.

I might well change my car in the coming months. Not sure what model I want and when I decide that it will depend what is available as to whether I buy new or second hand.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think we are going off my topic , I don't care whether they are new or secondhand, my point was why do we put up with such shoddy goods for a colossal amount of money, when you wouldn't accept it in other things, we complain about things going wrong and taking them back and getting a new one in such things as tvs phones satnavs. All manner of things that have maybe only cost a couple of hundred and yet we let them fob us off with 100 grand mhs and having to keep going back to be repaired. No new one to replace it

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I think we are going off my topic , I don't care whether they are new or secondhand, my point was why do we put up with such shoddy goods for a colossal amount of money, when you wouldn't accept it in other things, we complain about things going wrong and taking them back and getting a new one in such things as tvs phones satnavs.

That's a poor analysis of the problem. A TV is a simple device, factory made on a well tooled up production line, very low labour costs and costs coppers.

Even a car is totally tooled-up production line product with little room for error.

A MH is a highly complex assembly, semi-custom made in low volumes, huge factories needed, hugely expensive with vast amounts of labour with a huge mix of skills. Huge restrictions are in place in terms of materials used, weight is all. It's a competitive market, margins are squeezed.

So things will go wrong with a motor home, just as with a new brick home. They should not be serious design faults though.

Why do people accept them, naive and little choice.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think we are going off my topic , I don't care whether they are new or secondhand, my point was why do we put up with such shoddy goods for a colossal amount of money, when you wouldn't accept it in other things, we complain about things going wrong and taking them back and getting a new one in such things as tvs phones satnavs. All manner of things that have maybe only cost a couple of hundred and yet we let them fob us off with 100 grand mhs and having to keep going back to be repaired. No new one to replace it

We spent a lot of time researching before we bough our Rapido new, and yes it was a lot of money. A few minor things needed fixing soon after we had a test trip and they were fixed with the result that we ended up with a motorhome which was as near perfect as we could want.

Yes, there are those who have experienced shoddy workmanship but I don't know where you got your figures from. Most of the complaints I have read here and on other forums where people have a complaint about the product they are actually doing something to get the matter resolved. So to answer your question, I don't think people do put up with shoddy goods we spend a lot of money on as much as you think. On the contrary I think the expenditure of a large amount of money tends to motivate people to make sure any problems are corrected.

Generally the industry could improve but buy from a decent dealer who does a proper PDI and you would probably find that any problems will be corrected if you bring them to the dealers attention. After all, a decent dealer has a good reputation which they want to retain. They will also want to retain you as a customer for the future.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Just going back to the original post, the mention of my problem with the rear wheels, how many of us actually take a wheel of in the dealers to check, I very much doubt one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :winky:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just going back to the original post, the mention of my problem with the rear wheels, how many of us actually take a wheel of in the dealers to check, I very much doubt one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :winky:

Quite agree , you never ought to have to, it would seem neither have the manufacturer or the dealer either:Doh::Eeek:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Generally the industry could improve but buy from a decent dealer who does a proper PDI and you would probably find that any problems will be corrected if you bring them to the dealers attention. After all, a decent dealer has a good reputation which they want to retain. They will also want to retain you as a customer for the future.

Apart from the odd one or two(johns cross on here being one) I think most of them would be glad to never see you again once they have your money, again we have seen on here comments about poor dealers but then everyone seems to forget them when they see a shiny new mh in the showroom.:Sad:

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Me thinks you have a problem with Swift, what you have to bare in mind that Swift have the biggest market share in the uk and therefore there is bound to be more complaints. At present I'm on My 2nd Swift and have had no problems with them and my next one will be another Swift

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Me thinks you have a problem with Swift, what you have to bare in mind that Swift have the biggest market share in the uk and therefore there is bound to be more complaints. At present I'm on My 2nd Swift and have had no problems with them and my next one will be another Swift

No, no problem with swift at all, never had one , my point, (maybe badly put, not the greatest writer:Sad:) was if I was looking to spend £40,000 on a mh and studied the net and google and forums such as this, I would never risk my hard earned cash on things that so many people have had problems with when there are so many others you could have:Doh:
If you have a good one, great tell us the other side when someone else is complaining , I personally like the looks of them but would not have one for the reason given.

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
No, no problem with swift at all, never had one , my point, (maybe badly put, not the greatest writer:Sad:) was if I was looking to spend £40,000 on a mh and studied the net and google and forums such as this, I would never risk my hard earned cash on things that so many people have had problems with when there are so many others you could have:Doh:
If you have a good one, great tell us the other side when someone else is complaining , I personally like the looks of them but would not have one for the reason given.
Again your missing the point if for example you sell 100 swifts to say To the one you own you will get more complaints on the Swift Brand and as I said I have had no problems with my Motor Home so I have nothing to complain about.Also I have friends with other makes yours included that regret buying them.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What I don't like seeing is criticism of the dealer when it's the manufacturer who is at fault.

I can only speak from personal and limited experience but the two dealers we have done business with ( Becks and Johns Cross). have been absolutely excellent and if we had bought a bummer van it wouldn't have been their fault irrespective of what the law might say.

Aug 29, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class N & B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
As we are still looking for our first M/H, this topic has been quite an eye opener!

Firstly, choice. If you set your heart on "essentials" and start looking for the perfect used van, then you are wasting your time, because you only end up with a compromise. You probably will want to part with that van sooner rather than later, in the hope that the next one will be will be "the one".

Second, budget. This is really restricting, and I agree that unless you take out a second mortgage, then the luxury market is out, and if you have little to spend, then you would be really lucky to find something decent.

Third, quality. I have to agree that you should expect a decent build quality for a lot of money, and it appears that this quality is not being offered, at any cost. Certainly, you should be expecting to buy a new M/H to take away and use without problems, and this doesn't seem to be the case, and should also not be acceptable.

So in our case, we are now looking for the nearly new van, with a bit of the depreciation taken off. It must have an island, or 2 single beds, be LHD and auto, occasional 4 berth, with oven, etc. Does a beast exist, probably not, so we will end up looking more seriously at new, and like others who have gone down that road, keep it for a long time.

How much to spend? IMHO, if you have the money, and it gives pleasure to spend it on something that gives pleasure, then do it, and don't whinge about it! You certainly can't take it with you, and in our case, I want to enjoy mine while I am able, and a recent health scare certainly focuses the mind!

Also, and finally, this will be a joint decision between my wife and I. Me with tech input, and her with colour and design. Eventually we will get there. IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO CAN ACTUALLY RECOMMEND A MANUFACTURER WHO PRODUCES A GOOD M/H THAT IS NOT RIDDLED WITH FAULTS FROM THE START!

Rant over, thanks for reading this!:thumb:

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
As we are still looking for our first M/H, this topic has been quite an eye opener!

Firstly, choice. If you set your heart on "essentials" and start looking for the perfect used van, then you are wasting your time, because you only end up with a compromise. You probably will want to part with that van sooner rather than later, in the hope that the next one will be will be "the one".

Second, budget. This is really restricting, and I agree that unless you take out a second mortgage, then the luxury market is out, and if you have little to spend, then you would be really lucky to find something decent.

Third, quality. I have to agree that you should expect a decent build quality for a lot of money, and it appears that this quality is not being offered, at any cost. Certainly, you should be expecting to buy a new M/H to take away and use without problems, and this doesn't seem to be the case, and should also not be acceptable.

So in our case, we are now looking for the nearly new van, with a bit of the depreciation taken off. It must have an island, or 2 single beds, be LHD and auto, occasional 4 berth, with oven, etc. Does a beast exist, probably not, so we will end up looking more seriously at new, and like others who have gone down that road, keep it for a long time.

How much to spend? IMHO, if you have the money, and it gives pleasure to spend it on something that gives pleasure, then do it, and don't whinge about it! You certainly can't take it with you, and in our case, I want to enjoy mine while I am able, and a recent health scare certainly focuses the mind!

Also, and finally, this will be a joint decision between my wife and I. Me with tech input, and her with colour and design. Eventually we will get there. IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO CAN ACTUALLY RECOMMEND A MANUFACTURER WHO PRODUCES A GOOD M/H THAT IS NOT RIDDLED WITH FAULTS FROM THE START!

Rant over, thanks for reading this!:thumb:
Woe I'm of to sleep now I remember years ago when everyone slated the Vauxall Frontera, I had one for years and was brilliant in the second hand market you take a chance it could be the best make and construction but not looked after my advise is check it then check it then check it again

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I've only scan read this thread but if the point is the quality of some new motorhomes than I have to agree.

I've never had in problems that I can think of with vans I've owned but my Dad has had nothing but problems for years and it's still not solved.

He bought a brand new motorhome (very reputable manufacturer) and after a few months the roof started leaking. Back to dealers, fixed, few months later leaks again. This happened constantly for about two years until eventually his van was replaced.

New van was fine for a year then roof started leaking. Back to dealer to fix then after a few months leaking again. At the moment he is being palmed off a little by the dealer and ignored by the manufacturer in Germany.

It's beyond a joke now.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
This is a very interesting thread. Twenty two years ago, we bought a (then) twenty year old narrowboat, for a fraction of the cost of a new one. One day, just outside Middlewhich, I was sitting on the towpath, admiring the bums and boobs of passing walkers, (as one does), when a really posh boat pulled up behind us. After a while, said owner of new boat sidled up for a chat, and, after exchanging the pleasantries of the day, said "Dont you think you should buy a new boat"?
"Why"? says I
"Well", says chap, "Yours is a bit OLD............."
"Agreed", I replied, "but this boat has two vital aspects that your new boat dosent. I can moor it anywhere without worrying it might get scratched, and, it's paid for."

And that's why I just bought a twenty year old MH. That and I don't have 40quid at the mo, never mind 40K:winky:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Our first M/H cost 10k, it had a drop down bed, a 2 burner hob, INSTANT Hot water, turn the tap, Whoossshh hot water! a separate shower,a Toilet you could sit on without your forehead knees trying to push the wall out, captains seats, four seat dinette, real wood cabinets, blown air heating and all the usual nicknacks that made life comfortable, it didn't have power steering which after 6 years was the reason why we sold it

It was a Pilote R750 A class 1989 G reg

You have to be off your tree to pay anywhere over £20.000 for a 2nd hand M/H

To think people are willing to take on such huge debt and such huge monthly payments, to buy a £40-100.000 M/H on the knock, just leaves me wondering on the sensibility of mankind
There was a fella on here ,I don't know how long ago now, whining cause he had to sell his M/H, cause he could not afford the |£500 MONTHLY payments.
And recently, someone paid £I00.000 for a new M/H and has had, so far over a year of problems AND as far as I know it's still ongoing

Buying your first? Buy 2nd hand! and under £20k OLDIES ARE GOODIES

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Its the same with anything different people decide to spend on different things .I can never understand why someone would buy a rolex my cheapo watch tells the time just as well or designer tee shirts just the same as primark buy with a flashy logo but thats life.
As regards quality then it does seem its poor for what motorhomes cost but they are low volume products and with anything handmade there will be some problems I don't think any of the motorhome manufactures are large enough to set up a production line and pull apart the first 10 to refine the production process. It's probably also due to buyers wanting diversity in layout etc which must lead to modifications all the time.

It probably will never be as reliable to buy a motorhome as a car unless they become mass market items its a bit like buying a specialist sportscar how many lotus/maserati/alfa drivers in the past waxed lyrical about the reliability of their cars.....not many there will be good and bad ones. If they ever become that popular there will be no point buying one the roads will be too crowded and in the UK even more expensive for sites!

David

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
They have no problems in the boat building industry and that is low production. BUSBY.::bigsmile:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
But for a boat with the facilities of a new 6 berth motorhome you would spend a lot more than 40K!!! how much for a 35ft yacht

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back