Why do motorhomers tow Cars? (1 Viewer)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Not
Maybe yours is crappy, but ours have been beautiful RV homes on wheels and our current one an a class Hymer which for us is far from crappy.
You’re on a wind up :rolleyes:
Not at all my expectations are far higher than the quality of the product I am afraid and this being our first brand new Hymer I am far from impressed and I have never liked the Fiat in fact I have never liked Diesel engines in vehicles.
Would I be happy with anything ? No is probably the answer to that

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Am I missing something here? Why do Motorhomers tow Cars?

I have seen cars been towed by VW’s up to the size of RV’s. Looking at the very average price of a MH say 60k+ car trailer guess 5k+ medium size car 10k, which makes a conservative total 75k( I think the total could be a lot more.)

Motorhome and a car which will cost 75k low estimate .

Why not buy a car and a caravan. As you already have a car which would not be big enough to tow a large caravan sell that one for 10k buy a larger one at say about 20K and which I have seen nice caravans at about 20k

Total costs would be for a car and caravan about would be 30k A saving of 45k

OR DO YOU TOW A CAR AND LOVE YOUR MH SO THAT YOU CAN BE STILL BE MEMBERS OF THE “FUNSTERS”

Look forward to your replies.

COLYBOY

NYE Caradon Camping , Looe ,Cornwall
As this has been done to death every month for the last few years I can only assume it fishing too.
We have a small trailer ... a Skoda citigo which the other half uses as a daily commuter and the motorhome.
If were going somewhere to stay for a period of time such as a campsite then we would tow the car.
If not we wouldnt.
So
nc500 .. no car ..
Couple of weeks around France ... no car
One week at DDay events ... take car.
Spain for a short period ... probably take car
A c&cc site in the UK (often outside towns) .. take car ...
A weekend away somewhere ... no car

So we can do as we wish
The car wasn't bought purely to be towed ..
The van drags the trailer effortlessly
Driving with a trailer is not difficult

We can't stand caravans ..too restrictive

Someone came up with some prices for caravans and tow cars ...
Our van cost £30000 used
Car 10000
Trailer 2500

Cheaper than a caravan set up then

(y)

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
On our last two trips have hired a car when in an area for a while, both times 99euro for 3 days but because it’s there you feel you must use it and always pleased to give it back although it gives you easier access. Did talk to 2 different people on last trip that had previously had a toad but found that rarely used it.
Generally IMO if you are going to one or two destinations for long periods a car caravan makes more sense but you have to plan your journey there and back and does not give you the same freedom.
There is no ideal set up vw campers can park anywhere but restricted interior, large MH gives you the luxury of inside space but you have to think sometimes where you are going to park, Everyone’s circumstances are different for some a toad especially if they cannot ride a bike for some a scooter or bikes for others.
Good job we are all different ! Each to their own but interesting to hear ‘again” opinions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Not

Not at all my expectations are far higher than the quality of the product I am afraid and this being our first brand new Hymer I am far from impressed and I have never liked the Fiat in fact I have never liked Diesel engines in vehicles.
Would I be happy with anything ? No is probably the answer to that

There are some well built extremely luxurious RVs (petrol) and motorhomes but for me it’s what I am prepared to pay or can afford, and if you don’t like it don’t buy it :)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
I used to tug around Europe with the family, done the touring around for two weeks on holiday, arriving back home more knackered than before the hols! Kids grown up now, lost wife five yrs ago but carried on Fostering kids (3 long term at present) , carried on tugging - then realised the kids have no interest in sight seeing “we do that when we are travelling”?
2or3 hours setting caravan up with awning on my own, sat down had a few beers and decided stuff this lark. Arrived home after three wks, decided to look for a 6 berth motorhome. Found the McLouis for a decent price. After three yrs of tinkering she’s spot on. Now, we just jump in at any time and go, most of what we need is in the van or were wearing them. Arrive anywhere , stop , cup of tea is ready in five minutes and I’m wondering what have I forgot- this is too simple? Summer holidays- Europe every time, don’t have to hook up anything just go. Arrive at first site kids in the pool within the hour. 15 mins to secure the kids & were off to the 2nd site and then third. Public transport is widely available or a walk to town, trains bikes, or just stay on site.
But, yes I do sometimes miss not driving around- but that was just a habit, I could still hire a car! Motorhome or caravan ? Motorhome is more practical for me, and I have no intention of towing anything behind it. :notworthy:

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
View attachment 240910 Because I can
Because I want to
Because I can’t afford a car and caravan
Because I spend 6 months in Spain parked up.
Is that enough reasons or would you like more.
If I was going to lug a car around, this would be my choice.. (but with a different car though)...;)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't get it either, I used to be a tugger until I went right off towing, certainly wouldn't want to tow anything behind the Motorhome.

You are a bit out on your figures a decent caravan these days is 25-30k and car to tow it easily is probably 30-35k but still cheaper than a Motorhome.
We had the Smart as our daily driver. Trailer £800. Motorhome was a bit pricey though.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Yes I don't get it either as it pretty much defeats the object of having a motorhome IMO
I guess it works for the campsite dwellers but why not get a car and caravan as that way you get a decent vehicle to drive as motorhomes are basically crappy commercial vehicles that are horrible cheaply built crap then you tow a nasty little fart box behind ?
Definitely closet tuggers in my book (y)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The suggestion that we could put an A-frame on the Duxette's Jazz went down like a lead balloon. :(

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Seriously though, I can understand why some motorhomers need to have extra transport, and I understand why I or those who don’t- don’t need them. Different opinions have escalated into hair splitting like most threads on here ( I’m guilty as well). It not a debate anymore its an argument about who thinks they know more about what motorhoming is about. Some need a toad for personal reasons - none of my business! Some don’t understand the issues fine, some disagree, others off on a tangent ripping those opinions to shreds. I feel quite envious of nice motorhomes with new cars on trailers, then again No I don’t want to do that.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Seriously though, I can understand why some motorhomers need to have extra transport, and I understand why I or those who don’t- don’t need them. Different opinions have escalated into hair splitting like most threads on here ( I’m guilty as well). It not a debate anymore its an argument about who thinks they know more about what motorhoming is about. Some need a toad for personal reasons - none of my business! Some don’t understand the issues fine, some disagree, others off on a tangent ripping those opinions to shreds. I feel quite envious of nice motorhomes with new cars on trailers, then again No I don’t want to do that.
Well put. I know why l use one & l know why others don't. (FWIW we are often in company with caravanning friends so we're on a site for up to 10 days. And sometimes we aren't.)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Adopt a fully grown adult which will cost very little low estimate. Buy a larger one at say about 20K and which I have seen nice ones at about 20k

I'm available for adoption for 19k but I will need pocket money, food, my laundry doing and will you please buy me a car, motor home & motorbike. Thanks

PS a large deposit for my house would be great as well:)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Ok
I'm available for adoption for 19k but I will need pocket money, food, my laundry doing and will you please buy me a car, motor home & motorbike. Thanks

PS a large deposit for my house would be great as well:)
OK but you have to pay back your own student loan

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
View attachment 240910 Because I can
Because I want to
Because I can’t afford a car and caravan
Because I spend 6 months in Spain parked up.
Is that enough reasons or would you like more.
With that size of van I really don't understand it.
Ideal size of van for getting about in can park it literally anywhere .....until you attach the trailer

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
A few more inane questions:

Do some people like Fishing? Evidently some do.

Do some people get a perverse pleasure from attempting to wind others up? Evidently some do.

Are some people not able to recognise that a toad is not permanently hitched to the back of the Motorhome? Evidently some don’t.

Are some people not able to acknowledge alternative needs to their own? Evidently some don’t.

Why do some people lead with their right foot when entering their Motorhome? I always lead with my left foot? Does anyone really care that I might be puzzled by the habits of others?

There are many more questions that could be asked, but I wouldn’t dream creating a thread to elicit the views of others about them.

Ian

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Do some people get a perverse pleasure from attempting to wind others up? Evidently some do.

Are some people not able to recognise that a toad is not permanently hitched to the back of the Motorhome? Evidently some don’t.

Are some people not able to acknowledge alternative needs to their own? Evidently some don’t.

Why do some people lead with their right foot when entering their Motorhome? I always lead with my left foot? Does anyone really care that I might be puzzled by the habits of others?

There are many more questions that could be asked, but I wouldn’t dream creating a thread to elicit the views of others about them.

Ian
Life is full of curiosities ...if people don't ask questions it would be very boring.

If you removed all these type of questions on fun ...what would you be left with ? And would it have anything to do with motorhomes.

Why do people get so touchy when someone asks a motorhome related question :p

Isn't that what the forum is for ?....discussion or is it just for brexit, jokes and threads about gender neutral folk in the news

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Because I can.
I can go away in motorhome and if I want take car depending where I am going.
Try taking the caravan without the car and see how bloody far you get.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Ian

You lead with your LEFT foot, doesn’t sound right to me :eek:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
You lead with your LEFT foot, doesn’t sound right to me :eek:
Guys, this is a very serious question worthy of a new thread. Left or right foot first. I have also seen some people leaving backwards down the steps. Does their left got become right when moving backwards?:p

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Guys, this is a very serious question worthy of a new thread. Left or right foot first. I have also seen some people leaving backwards down the steps. Does their left got become right when moving backwards?:p
I've seen some leave arse first ...But thats usually cause they've tripped over a dog or a misplaced croc

Not me personally you understand

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Luckily we aren't all the same as what you have there is my idea of hell and the parking up for 6 months, no thanks, but if I was doing what you do I would have a decent caravan towed with a nice Mercedes or something (y)
Did you read the third line

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Because I can.
I can go away in motorhome and if I want take car depending where I am going.
Try taking the caravan without the car and see how bloody far you get.
Meh with these new fandangled motor mover things if you got a couple of dozen decent batteries I reckon you could easily do the Midlands to Yorkshire in a fortnight

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Am I missing something here? Why do Parents have babies?

I have seen babies been Pushed by parents up to the size of Teenagers. Looking at the very average cost of bringing up a child say 3m plus education guess 2m, which makes a conservative total 5m( I think the total could be a lot more.)

Adopt a fully grown adult which will cost very little low estimate. Buy a larger one at say about 20K and which I have seen nice ones at about 20k

A saving of 5m

OR DO YOU HAVE A BABY AND LOVE YOUR BABY SO THAT YOU CAN BE STILL BE MEMBERS OF THE “MOTHER AND TODDLER GROUPS”

Look forward to your replies.

:hi5:
Too much red wine ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As this has been done to death every month

A Frames maybe, but the reasons for taking a car are many and varied and often personal and isn't discussed too much at all.

Ian

inane
ɪˈneɪn/
adjective
  1. lacking sense or meaning; silly.
    "don't badger people with inane questions"
    synonyms: silly, foolish, stupid, fatuous, idiotic, absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous, laughable, risible, imbecilic, moronic, cretinous, unintelligent, witless, asinine, pointless, senseless, frivolous, nonsensical, brainless, mindless, thoughtless, vacuous, vapid, empty-headed;More

While a couple of responses were inane I thought the OP's question a good one and got some good answers. Without questions it'd be just daily mail and tumbleweed. :D

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I think you are all a bit leggist TBH
I refer you all to my post elsewhere stating the statistic that the average person in Uk has 1.999999 legs

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back