Why do motorhomers tow Cars? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Am I missing something here? Why do Motorhomers tow Cars?

I have seen cars been towed by VW’s up to the size of RV’s. Looking at the very average price of a MH say 60k+ car trailer guess 5k+ medium size car 10k, which makes a conservative total 75k( I think the total could be a lot more.)

Motorhome and a car which will cost 75k low estimate .

Why not buy a car and a caravan. As you already have a car which would not be big enough to tow a large caravan sell that one for 10k buy a larger one at say about 20K and which I have seen nice caravans at about 20k

Total costs would be for a car and caravan about would be 30k A saving of 45k

OR DO YOU TOW A CAR AND LOVE YOUR MH SO THAT YOU CAN BE STILL BE MEMBERS OF THE “FUNSTERS”

Look forward to your replies.

COLYBOY

NYE Caradon Camping , Looe ,Cornwall

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If we had a car/caravan setup we couldn’t leave the car in uk a tour places like France using Aires.
And in the UK campsites tend to be out off town, so need some sort of transport.
Also motorhome tax £165 and car zero.
Finally that’s our choice, did have a scooter in a box trailer but then in the middle of winter that’s not s lot of fun.

Or is the post just to boost popcorn sales!:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Why do motorhomers tow Cars?

Cos it`s not easy to camp in a solo car...

Take it or leave it... (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
simple.. they are closet caravaners.. ;)

one day they will come out.. :LOL:

I love my shed on wheels.. :D2

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't get it either, I used to be a tugger until I went right off towing, certainly wouldn't want to tow anything behind the Motorhome.

You are a bit out on your figures a decent caravan these days is 25-30k and car to tow it easily is probably 30-35k but still cheaper than a Motorhome.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I get it if the MH is large and the owners like to go into cities/built up areas. I don’t understand why you’d tow a car with a small MH.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Think one advantage of car if motorhome struggling up a hill take car off and use it to help tug the motorhome uphill ;)

I would not tow a car either the combined length would mean parking restrictions as original post said same as car and caravan and also slow van down on hills

I think the negatives outweigh the positives but everyone is different what suits 1 person doesn't suit another

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Firstly we have a Motorhome because we enjoy Motorhome ownership ,over the last 20 odd years we have tried most of the other options ,trailer tent,folding camper ,caravans but a Motorhome,for us at least,is the preferred option.We love it.We tow a car because it gives us the extra freedom and independence that we require.Over the years we have visited some beautiful places in really “off the beaten track locations”that we would never have got to see without the car.So for us it just works.But everyone is different.

Brian & Jo

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Think one advantage of car if motorhome struggling up a hill take car off and use it to help tug the motorhome uphill ;)

I would not tow a car either the combined length would mean parking restrictions as original post said same as car and caravan and also slow van down on hills

I think the negatives outweigh the positives but everyone is different what suits 1 person doesn't suit another
Good point @mfw . If your car is on an A frame you could simply use it to PUSH the Moho up hill, without even having to bother unhitching it. This, on its own must be the definitive answer to why everyone should have a Toad. I think I’ll change mine for a Hummer, so I can get up even steeper hills. :imoutahere::imoutahere:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
what would do it for me, either a caravan or a towed car, is that you have always got to go back to where one or the other is parked, we like to just up sticks and away, no hooking up or down just park up and done, not knocking either choice just my oppinion for once cost isnt the reason.;)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Am I missing something here? Why do Parents have babies?

I have seen babies been Pushed by parents up to the size of Teenagers. Looking at the very average cost of bringing up a child say 3m plus education guess 2m, which makes a conservative total 5m( I think the total could be a lot more.)

Adopt a fully grown adult which will cost very little low estimate. Buy a larger one at say about 20K and which I have seen nice ones at about 20k

A saving of 5m

OR DO YOU HAVE A BABY AND LOVE YOUR BABY SO THAT YOU CAN BE STILL BE MEMBERS OF THE “MOTHER AND TODDLER GROUPS”

Look forward to your replies.

:hi5:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I used to wonder the same thing so i tried it once as a motorhome I bought came with a toad but after a week around Yorkshire I didn't see the point and sold the toad.

It was a Bugger if I needed to reverse.

I could get the van anywhere I wanted to go if I wasn't towing the car.

Trying to find somewhere other than a campsite to park the van to unhitch the car and go in a town that I couldn't fit both in was near impossible.

Added stress

It's each to their own and I can see the difference between towing a large vehicle with a small one and vice versa but still isn't for me....one of the reasons I changed from a caravan was so I didn't have to tow....not even a trailer.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
IMG_4558.GIF
IMG_4660.GIF

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Yes I don't get it either as it pretty much defeats the object of having a motorhome IMO
I guess it works for the campsite dwellers but why not get a car and caravan as that way you get a decent vehicle to drive as motorhomes are basically crappy commercial vehicles that are horrible cheaply built crap then you tow a nasty little fart box behind ?
Definitely closet tuggers in my book (y)

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
what would do it for me, either a caravan or a towed car, is that you have always got to go back to where one or the other is parked, we like to just up sticks and away, no hooking up or down just park up and done, not knocking either choice just my oppinion for once cost isnt the reason.;)
Nowt as strange as folk

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We travel Europe so for ease of using Aires we need a motorhome.
When in UK we pitch up on sites and use tow car so we can explore the area around.
For us having been there, a caravan is too cumbersome towing and setting up whereas with a motorhome pull up and use it instantly, no contest for us.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Why do Motorhome owners park in Aires (glorified Tescos Car Parks with a fag paper separating you from your neighbour)?

Beyond me why you would want to do it.

It is called "Each to their own"

Understand the bit about car parks but all Aires are not the same , we have stayed on some lovely canal side Aires with a short walk to shops .

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Understand the bit about car parks but all Aires are not the same , we have stayed on some lovely canal side Aires with a short walk to shops .
That's me out on 2 counts there then ( walk and shops ) (y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I don't get it either as it pretty much defeats the object of having a motorhome IMO
I guess it works for the campsite dwellers but why not get a car and caravan as that way you get a decent vehicle to drive as motorhomes are basically crappy commercial vehicles that are horrible cheaply built crap then you tow a nasty little fart box behind ?
Definitely closet tuggers in my book (y)

Maybe yours is crappy, but ours have been beautiful RV homes on wheels and our current one an a class Hymer which for us is far from crappy.
You’re on a wind up :rolleyes:

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
View attachment 240910 Because I can
Because I want to
Because I can’t afford a car and caravan
Because I spend 6 months in Spain parked up.
Is that enough reasons or would you like more.
Luckily we aren't all the same as what you have there is my idea of hell and the parking up for 6 months, no thanks, but if I was doing what you do I would have a decent caravan towed with a nice Mercedes or something (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back