Why Diesel Is Not A Dirty Word When Buying A Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Harry Price

Free Member
Jun 13, 2018
Funster No
With the recent news that Hamburg will be the first German city to ban older diesel engines, coupled with a flood of 'dirty diesel' media coverage over recent years, it's understandable that customers have been prompted to think cautiously about diesel when considering a new motorhome.

But, there is an important distinction to be made between 'dirty' diesel engines and cleaner diesel engines in new motorhomes; a difference that prospective buyers can benefit from knowing.

Older diesel engines, i.e. those that were built before the Euro 4 standard in 2005 are those considered to be the most harmful to the environment and are commonly referred to as 'dirty'.

Conversely, new motorhomes are fitted with diesel engines that comply with the new European Commission standards of Euro 5 and Euro 6, introduced in 2009 and 2014, respectively, with the aim of reducing harmful levels of exhaust emissions from both petrol and diesel engines.

Both Euro 5 and Euro 6 are fitted with particulate filters and Euro 6 engines have emissions control technology that converts up to 99% of combustion engine exhaust pollutants and particulates.

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
On Google maps at a low scale only the major roads are shown.
UK shows M1,M6 and A1 from the north to M25.
Compare it with the more populated areas of Europe.
Does not take much to see the problems with our traffic flow and options.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Unless I have missed something in this ban the diesel car / van thing how will all those rather big trucks we have to contend with be dealt with?

Or has the very concerned politician forgot about them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
When will Councils be brave enough to just ban private vehicles from town centres,,How does paying to go into a city stop pollution? Park and Ride provided FREE is the answer,,,Nottingham has a brilliant Park and Ride in conjunction with a great tram network,,I can't remember the last time i drove a car in,,,BUSBY,,,

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Sounds like the theory of the planners who added more lanes to the M25, However, Less congestion leads to more vehicles which leads to more congestion which leads to more pollution which has lead to a requirement for yet more lanes on the M25. Improved rail is the only way to go.....(y)

More roads in Spain have not caused busier roads,,I can remember when you queued to by-pass Barcelona,,,extra lanes and alternative motorways and now no congestion,,,BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I think it's the manufacured not the registered dates that matter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
More roads in Spain have not caused busier roads,,I can remember when you queued to by-pass Barcelona,,,extra lanes and alternative motorways and now no congestion,,,BUSBY.
Perhaps we need tolls like Spain and France what do you think(y)

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
With the recent news that Hamburg will be the first German city to ban older diesel engines, coupled with a flood of 'dirty diesel' media coverage over recent years, it's understandable that customers have been prompted to think cautiously about diesel when considering a new motorhome.

But, there is an important distinction to be made between 'dirty' diesel engines and cleaner diesel engines in new motorhomes; a difference that prospective buyers can benefit from knowing.

Older diesel engines, i.e. those that were built before the Euro 4 standard in 2005 are those considered to be the most harmful to the environment and are commonly referred to as 'dirty'.

Conversely, new motorhomes are fitted with diesel engines that comply with the new European Commission standards of Euro 5 and Euro 6, introduced in 2009 and 2014, respectively, with the aim of reducing harmful levels of exhaust emissions from both petrol and diesel engines.

Both Euro 5 and Euro 6 are fitted with particulate filters and Euro 6 engines have emissions control technology that converts up to 99% of combustion engine exhaust pollutants and particulates.

My old girl,,3 lyre merc turbo , 1999 hardly registers any emissions at all at mot!!
Probably because I run on premium diesel only!! Can I get into any city?? Lol

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back