Why did you choose an RV (1 Viewer)

R

RogerD

Deleted User
Quite a lot of you on this forum seem to use large American RVs. Why did you choose such large beasts over the more modest European van that seems, to me at least, to be better suited to European roads. Is it just because they are bigger? or is there something else I am missing?

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Roger
I think that most of us that have chosen RVs have been through the European van route, and we certainly have.
Our reasons for choosing an RV are fairly simple.
We now have the space that we want, never achieved that with the 3 Euro vans, and we have a large degree of flexibility. We have a fixed bed, I hated all the fuss about putting together a jigsaw that ended up as an uncomfortable mess. I don't have to trot to the chemical emptying point every day, once a week is fine now. All the furniture is solid and screwed together properly, we don't get those annoying rattles as we drive and everything feels as though it will last forever. The engine and chassis is up to the job in hand, the payload is fantastic too. I can now overtake slow lorries on hills :roflmto:
We have never had a problem getting where we wanted to go, including some really tiny roads in France and tight corners etc on sites, we plan ahead a bit but that is not a hardship to us in reality. Parts are easy to get, servicing is easy and nowhere near as expensive as I thought, insurance is as cheap as our Euro vans, so why not?
We love our RV and would be very hard pushed to go back to a cramped European van now, but as with everything else, it is up to each individual what they buy as thankfully we are all different :roflmto:

Keith

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good question.. a bit like asking why people climb mountains..

I could say it's because we 'fulltime' and need the space, but we had George before we did. I could say it's because I don't want a Euro box, which I don't, but the truth is, I just love big vehicles.. Once you've driven and lived in a 36 ft RV anything else pales into insignificance .. from the narrow roads in the Scottish highlands to the wide open spaces of the North African desert .. George is the biz.... So I won't try to justify it, nor complain about 14 mpg, or the cost of insurance, life is for living, doing the things you want.. each to their own.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just one reason

Link Removed

Link Removed

Plus I am on the large side 6ft 5in & 19 stone.

Then there the luxury and full size everything along with air conditioning and then that V8 engine BLISS:winky:

Then of course "COS I CAN":thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Ditto all of the above.

Plus we bought it for the accomodation layout.

2 Bunk beds for 2 of the kids, permanently made up at the back.

Very large double over the cab.

Large double mid-ships.

Love the space, layout, features and the Bath!!

Large Fresh, grey and Black water holding tanks.

Powerful V8 so no lack of power.The opposite actually.

LOVE IT.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We chose an RV because we just love the space, paylod and choice it gives us and because it was good value for money in our opinion. We have nothing against Euro vans had one in the past but did find it a bit cramped, I would get one tomorrow if I could find one to give me everything my RV does.

Drawbacks; of course they have them length, width, fuel, but any van is a compromise, its a case of balancing the benefits against the drawbacks and what works best for you.

We don't think our Rv is any better or worse than anyone elses van we're all M/Mers after all

Would I swap mine, you bet I would for a nice new Monaco ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Because there is nothing available in the UK or Europe that even begins to get near an RV both in £ value and space/comfort, power and equipment and sheer head turning ability!!!

Its that simple really :thumb:

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
because it enables us to:

always use our own shower/toilet without water worries;
enables us to entertain without feeling cramped;
has far better equipment levels (microwave, generator, self-levelling, air-con + more);
allows us to carry clothes/garden furniture/tools/food/wine in plenty;
tows a car so easily;

but mostly because we wanted to.

des

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Simple answer? In the case of full-timing and comfort? SIZE really does count. Having said that. I have met some full-timing in a LWB Transit/Mercedes/Renault etc. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back